Apollo: Columbia & Eagle (Revell 1:96)

I built this one when I'd only just been trusted with polystyrene cement. It was designed before the actual landings, so it's generally inaccurate! You can make a fair model out of it though, and the small 1/96 scale is forgiving. There are plenty of ref pictures available online (try google images). The service module (the cylindrical bit) could be improved by sanding off all the raised detail, as this (badly) represents a "block 1" ship that never actually flew. Photos show this to have been alu on the actual flight examples, with white radiator panels - not too hard to model. The command module (conical bit) should be bright silver. The donut shaped back bulkhead is totally wrong - they corrected this on the Apollo that came in their Apollo-Soyuz, with a "pan" structure - rather hard to model though. You could also improve things by sanding the raised ribs off the engine bell - this should be gunmetal/black. The LM is more or less okay as it is (unless you are really ambitious...). The gold foil is one thing that wasn't in the first issue! The astronaut on the surface is based on some very early Apollo concepts and nothing like the actual suits, as you will see from any photo. One way to improve him is to coat him in PVA glue to bulk the suit up and make a new life support pack out of scrap! Yes, that's just off the top of my head, so to speak... the "moon" base looks more like a lump of melted roofing lead - the actual landing did not blow out a big crater, except in pre-landing "artists impressions"! Not sure how you'd make up a better piece of moon, maybe grey railway ground scatter on a piece of MDF. Don't forget Old Glory.

It might be worth mentioning Heller issued a very, very similar kit, almost counting as a bootleg, in supposed 1/100 scale, with LM and CSM available separately. Aoshima also did one, which was simplified, mostly chromed, with weird cartoony decals.

• Like 1

I built this one when I'd only just been trusted with polystyrene cement. It was designed before the actual landings, so it's generally inaccurate! You can make a fair model out of it though, and the small 1/96 scale is forgiving. There are plenty of ref pictures available online (try google images). The service module (the cylindrical bit) could be improved by sanding off all the raised detail, as this (badly) represents a "block 1" ship that never actually flew. Photos show this to have been alu on the actual flight examples, with white radiator panels - not too hard to model. The command module (conical bit) should be bright silver. The donut shaped back bulkhead is totally wrong - they corrected this on the Apollo that came in their Apollo-Soyuz, with a "pan" structure - rather hard to model though. You could also improve things by sanding the raised ribs off the engine bell - this should be gunmetal/black. The LM is more or less okay as it is (unless you are really ambitious...). The gold foil is one thing that wasn't in the first issue! The astronaut on the surface is based on some very early Apollo concepts and nothing like the actual suits, as you will see from any photo. One way to improve him is to coat him in PVA glue to bulk the suit up and make a new life support pack out of scrap! Yes, that's just off the top of my head, so to speak... the "moon" base looks more like a lump of melted roofing lead - the actual landing did not blow out a big crater, except in pre-landing "artists impressions"! Not sure how you'd make up a better piece of moon, maybe grey railway ground scatter on a piece of MDF. Don't forget Old Glory.

It might be worth mentioning Heller issued a very, very similar kit, almost counting as a bootleg, in supposed 1/100 scale, with LM and CSM available separately. Aoshima also did one, which was simplified, mostly chromed, with weird cartoony decals.

Wow, you really know your stuff - Thanks for info.

Sadly however this one is a bit of fun for me and it will be built straight out of the box.

I've spent a fair while removing the parts and cleaning up the flash. I have a feeling this will be quite a quick build but I'm enjoying it nonetheless.

Cheers

Not sure I've ever removed and cleaned all parts in one go! Not many pieces here but it took a fair while due to the amount of flash. No worries, all parts joined where they can be for now and all ready for paint.

IMG_0534_zps8e77a896.jpg

Well, I'm an Apollo fan so I would go on like that! Sure, you can improve the model a lot with a decent paint job, without mods. It's of its time.

Thanks. I'm hoping the same - that with some filling and paint it will look half reasonable :)

hi, ucking ell,that was quick,that cannot be real,wheres all the weeks of angst,hairpulling backbiting and im never modelling again,,no i refuse to believe that is real...you,ve photoshopped it.?lol

no it looks great,just too damn quick. and a few birdseye pics etc please?

cheers

don

• Like 1

Haha - You are very kind! Just a few extra hours this week and a printed piece of A4 on the wall :innocent:

I'm honoured you'd like to see a few more photo's so here as requested.................. :)

IMG_0568_zpsfb344162.jpg

IMG_0570_zps44e1ac11.jpg

IMG_0573_zps04e82c18.jpg

IMG_0571_zps271e5710.jpg

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1