Lightning and buccaneer aero guides

fatalbert

Quite handy for walkround style photos but in black and white. I've got the Hunter and Lightning ones and have found them to be reasonably helpful. Not sure what others think.

• Like 1

What Paul said. I have several and they all have the same format. On the whole not much text - In the Hunter Volume Aeroguide 9 you get just a short introduction, lots of walk round style large black and white photos on 26 pages with 4 pages of colour ones, some colour and black and white profiles and usually a set of plans - 1/72 for the Hunter. Ok if you pick them up cheaply enough I'd reckon.

• Like 1

Using the Lightning one (almost as I type this if not stopped for supper) and constantly reffering to the Hunter volume. Back in the pre-internet era they were essential reference.

• Like 1

The original Aeroguide books were among the very first to offer modellers the kind of pictures needed to detail their builds. I have the one on the Lightning and it's very useful, although some areas of the fuselage are not covered as I'd have needed. The cockpit shots are also not the best.

The one on the Hunter on the other hand left me with no question to ask and was IMHO the best of the old series. Can't comment on the Buccaneer one as I never got this. In general the B/W pictures are not too much of a problem although sometime they don't show certain details too clearly. And of course they give little or no indication of the colours used (the captions sometimes help here)

There's also a more recent series where the books are larger, include more colour and also a section on colours and markings. These are excellent too and IMHO are worth the extra price. I have the Buccaneer title from this series and it's a lovely book that I'd recommend