Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Come to God's country. According to Nigel we have at least one decent Indian place here in the metroplex. The weather is pretty nice too. It is in the 60s rather than the the teens where you are at. Enjoy good food, shirt sleeve weather and very fine scenery . . . and the landscapes aren't bad either!

And if there are not at least ten 18 wheelers in the parking lot, it ain't a truck stop!

• Like 1

Honorable Hendie:

I issue you a shameless challenge. On yonder STGB hills lies the proposed Huey build group. A forlorn crew they seek hearty men, bold of nature; crafty and cunning in the art of plastic mangling; and desirous of new challenges. They seek those who appreciate the roto ways of the aerial world. I throw down gauntlet and challenge you to join me in this group quest! Are ye man enough?

You didn't think I would leave you out when I challenged Nigel and Rick also. We could take over the thread with zaniness!

Honorable Hendie:

I issue you a shameless challenge. On yonder STGB hills lies the proposed Huey build group. A forlorn crew they seek hearty men, bold of nature; crafty and cunning in the art of plastic mangling; and desirous of new challenges. They seek those who appreciate the roto ways of the aerial world. I throw down gauntlet and challenge you to join me in this group quest! Are ye man enough?

You didn't think I would leave you out when I challenged Nigel and Rick also. We could take over the thread with zaniness!

Thanks for the invite George but I'll need to think long and deep on that one. - As I have mentioned previously, my original plan was to build kits of everything I have ever worked on (which was not a lot), and the Wessex pretty much finishes that up, unless I ever decide to partake of a Nimrod. (9 years on aircraft and I only ever really worked on two types to any extent - 2 years of 1st line on Wessex and the remainder on 2nd & 3rd line on Nimrods.

I have been scouring ebay and model sites to see if there was anything else that captured my interest..... with not much success to be honest. If anything I tend to veer away from the mainstream and lean towards the more unusual subjects, 50/60's sci-fi, early prototypes etc, but so far, nothing I have come across has given me that neanderthal urge to actually buy and build anything.

Given the fact that my builds seem to take several months - even the relatively simple Islander took around 4 months - I'd be worried that if I didn't have that "connection" to the aircraft that it would end up on the proverbial shelf of doom.... or even a sub standard build.

When is it due to begin ? I'll take a look and see if I can find some freakish looking variant that captures and ignites my grey matter

Hendie,

I know how to make proper, real ROTIS / CHAPPATIS.... Unleavened bread as it is known is our staple diet with curry..

:heart:

I used to make them regularly - but it took me about two years before I found the knack and started making good chapati's.

Ever since Hong Kong and Shaffi's & Mr Khan's, forget the rice - I can't eat curry unless I have at least a couple of chapatis.

In case anyone's wondering about the seemingly unlikely Hong Kong/Curry connection - Hong Kong was the training camp for about 2000 Gurkha's so Shaffi's (still in HK I believe) & Mr Khan each had a little hut on camp and they made the most amazing curries I have ever tasted, always served up with 3 chapati's and a saucer of tomato and onion.

There was none of this "I'll have a Rogan Josh / Madras / Vindaloo etc" - It was strictly a case of "I'll have a curry please" - they only ever made one type of curry and you took what they had made.

Sitting outside in the evening under a single 60w light bulb, in 90+ degrees, 90% humidity, crickets chirruping in the background, twinkling stars in the sky, and a bowl of Mr Khan's curry in front of you ......

Damnit! nostalgia can be depressing at times :weep:

• Like 2

Hendie,

SO it looks like you definitely need good home made INDIAN food. :rofl:

Shame MY sister doesn't own a restaurant in NAPERVILLE otherwise she'd make you awesome food..

And her daughter is in Michigan... Hmmmmm....

Maybe you might have to go to HOUSTON to see if there Are any INDIAN eateries..sure there must be...

:heart:

By the watEXEMPLARY build this far...

:wow:

Edited by HOUSTON

okie dokie, or should that be okay dokay ? Who knows (or cares) - It's the weekend, I am back from the culinary wasteland that was surrounding me over in MI and I am raring to go... sort of....

(disclaimer: some of the photo's will be out of sequence as I found when I uploaded them that a lot were out of focus and had to go and take more)

I always find it difficult after the first few simple bits go together to figure out what the rest of the build sequence should be. Add to that my propensity to jump all over the build from A to Z and anywhere in between, and my modeling road-map gets shredded and thrown to the roadside.

That said, I did have an inkling that after closing of the fuselage, the cockpit and associated gizzits would have to be tackled in the very near future. Since it takes a little while for my mojo to warm up I avoided anything intricate and started with the cockpit fire extinguisher

S5002853.JPG

Next job on the production line today was the instrument panel and coaming. Upon browsing numerous photo's of Wessi interiors, I spotted that there are several doobries on top of the coaming. The first type of doobrie was a small button inside a circular housing.

Out came the wine foil again, and using some styrene rod as my former, I used tweezers to coax the wine foil into the final shape.

S5002847.JPG

First button in place.....

S5002848.JPG

All 4 buttons in place and some electric/avionics thingy in the middle of the IP. The box was just another scrap of styrene cut to shape.

S5002863.JPG

I tried the kit PE panel and found that it didn't fit too well inside the coaming... .

S5002846.JPG

However, a few shaves on the inside of the coaming with a chisel blade and the fit was much better

S5002860.JPG

All the cockpit stuff was given a coat of aircraft interior black. While the paint was out I slapped some onto a few other pieces of scrap - they will be my test pieces for weathering later

S5002849.JPG

Still on the cockpit theme, as we are all aware, the kit is rather basic and to be honest - not that good at all. There are some major features on the Wessex that are incorrect, in the wrong place, or just plain missing. My next bit of scratching was to create one of the very obvious features found inside the cockpit and also one of italeri's missing parts.... the rotor brake.

I started with what I believe to be part of an undercarriage leg left over from my Dauphin build.

With a 3 square file in hand, I cut two notches across the "leg" and stuck some styrene rod into the grooves.

S5002851.JPG

The rods were then trimmed back and I used the 3-square again to cut another couple of notches, this time going longitudinally along the rotor brake. A small piece of brass wire was bent into shape and glued into the vee's

S5002852.JPG

That was followed by some wine foil "brackets" to hold the lever pivot point. I found a little round blob of solder that was about the right size for the ball on the end of the lever and after many tries, and losing a couple of blobs..... managed to get a small hole in the ball which was then super glued onto the end of the brake lever.

S5002854.JPG

.... which will eventually live somewhere around here..

S5002855.JPG

There's still a little bit of work left to do on the rotor brake but I'm happy with the progress (I think!)

After all that work I still had to check if the darn thing would still fit together.... A quick dry fit told me that some trimming was required, however, it did all go together in the end

S5002861.JPG

The most difficult area was here in the nose where I had added the engine, electric and avionics compartments. - I had to trim the sides of the cockpit floor forward of the raised portion, but once that's all painted black in there, it will never be noticed

S5002858.JPG

Another thing that the dry fit showed me was that I am going to have some issues matching the nose up to the fuselage.... I present to thee gap and mismatched profile number 1....

S5002856.JPG

followed by gap number two.....

S5002857.JPG

I'll figure it out I guess, but it may take a while before the public are allowed to see !

I still haven't figured out the beetleback and that is looming up on the horizon very quickly!

• Like 10

Thanks for the invite George but I'll need to think long and deep on that one. -

When is it due to begin ? I'll take a look and see if I can find some freakish looking variant that captures and ignites my grey matter

It will begin next year so plenty of time to get ready for it and find something suitable. Just think of the fun and games to be had if you, me, Nigel and Rick are all on the same build group.

Really like the detail work you did. Exquisite! Sorry about he gaps. Filler and more filler yechh. I found your approach to make the foil conform to a round shape quite novel and shall shamelessly rip it off and claim it for my own on some near distant build.

Nice rotor brake master cylinder.

And in the off position too. excellent.

I have an idea one of the doobries on

the coaming was a warning light for

rotor RPM fade. I could well be wrong....

And all this talk of those HK curries

is making my mouth water. And here

I've not long had my breakfast!

I'll have to raid my store of Pataks sauces.

Ooh, There's an idea, maybe you can get

them mail order. It's good stuff.

Nice rotor brake master cylinder.

And in the off position too. excellent.

I have an idea one of the doobries on

the coaming was a warning light for

rotor RPM fade. I could well be wrong....

And all this talk of those HK curries

is making my mouth water. And here

I've not long had my breakfast!

I'll have to raid my store of Pataks sauces.

Ooh, There's an idea, maybe you can get

them mail order. It's good stuff.

Ahhhhhh! Very good catch Pete. I was concentrating so much on trying to make it look like the cylinder in the photo that I never even considered that it was set in the off position! It looks like a little bit of remedial work will be required to set the lever in the ON position

I can actually get Patak's here - it's not very common but at least one local supermarket stocks a reasonable range. I generally prefer making my curries from scratch but Patak's are ideal for when you want something quickly and don't want a lot of hassle

• Like 1

Really like the detail work you did. Exquisite! Sorry about he gaps. Filler and more filler yechh. I found your approach to make the foil conform to a round shape quite novel and shall shamelessly rip it off and claim it for my own on some near distant build.

Nice progress shame about the fit issues but I'm sure you will overcome!

Roger

That`s a sod Hendie, those gaps I mean . I am sure you find a way around it.

Simon.

The gaps don't scare me - that's what filler is for. I am more concerned with the steps at the joints and the difference in profile as that means a lot more sanding if I can't force the external surfaces into alignment.

You are still doing really well Hendie, despite Italeri's efforts to thwart you at every turn! I think that unless they release something extremely tasty, that no-one else is likely to do, then I am done with buying kits from this company for a very long time.

Martin

A small update to finish off the weekend.

I gave the cockpit and assorted panels a dry brush of dark grey - I believe this my first attempt at actual weathering. The macro makes it seem a bit heavy but I'm very pleased with the way it has turned out. It doesn't look nearly so heavy or cack-handed when viewed by the naked (oops!) eye. I also added a few spots of color to some buttons to break up the monotony, and painted a couple of face plates in the overhead console dark grey.

S5002868.JPG

Fitting the cockpit floor took forever... well, not actually forever, but it probably did take at least an hour before I was satisfied enough to commit to slapping some glue in place. There is still a seam where the center console meets the rear console, but I think I will disguise that by adding a small switch panel or similar in front of it. The seats (when I eventually get around to doing something about them) will hide the side seams.

S5002872.JPG

After I had fitted the floor I happened to glance through the 4+ book and spotted that most of the rear consoles photographed had a small light attached.... not being one to pass up a challenge, or too stupid to know when to quit while ahead.... I decided I was going to try and make one!

After a few attempts, I had something which vaguely resembled a small light fitting.

S5002875.JPG

Which was in turn, fitted to the rear console. - isn't it amazing how the coiled wire looks so tiny in the shot above, yet magically grows to look absolutely mahoosive when fitted to the darn kit? After looking at this photo, I am tempted to try again. I'll need to find a former of a smaller diameter.... that could be a problem.

S5002876.JPG

While we're on the subject of stupidity, I managed to fit the final part of the transmission tunnel inside the cabin..... and proceeded to start adding more cable to the cabin/cockpit bulkhead. What a doofus! Actually in the 1:1 there is an abundance of cables dangling off this bulkhead so I could do with adding at least a couple.

S5002877.JPG

... and it took me probably 15 minutes of phaffing about to get just this single cable in place!

S5002878.JPG

My last task for today was to rework the rotor brake cylinder. As it turned out, I had made rather too good a job of gluing yesterdays version and it was destroyed while trying to reposition the lever. And just to add the icing to the cake, there was no duplicate of the undercarriage part I had used yesterday to be found.

Cue second attempt.... styrene, wire, and foil.... and I at least salvaged the ball of solder from the original.

S5002870.JPG

Once I had all the parts together, the rod was trimmed and offered up to the console....

S5002880.JPG

I'm not sure if the lever should be angled a bit further forward than it currently is, but I may be tempted just to leave it where it is lest I destroy this version too.

S5002881.JPG

Things are moving along but I fear I may come to a dead halt before too long as the seats need to go in pretty soon and I have been studiously avoiding them so far. I am going to have to tackle them soon.... darnit!

• Like 9

You are much too hard on yourself. The weathering is great; the oversize reading lamp is really a nice touch and looks the part, and sometimes you see seams and imperfections we don't. This is a great build and I am humbled by it. I very much look forward to the next installment.

• Like 1