Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Oh wow. I am so enjoying this. Helicopters are such strange things and they seem to have a language all of their own - I don't understand half of the technical stuff that you chaps are discussing - but I know cracking modelling when i see it :)

Looking very nice, love the rear bulkhead, can I just through something in which hopefully wont screw the whole thing up. From what I remember (and it is a good few years ago so I could be wrong!) the transmission deck is level with the bottom of the door cut out. To lift the floor may be a step too far, may be a bit of artistic license and lower the door cut out? Dont forget also that the gril was fitted around the upper gearbox unless in a deeper state of maintenance so that would restrict the view further aft. Looking forward to the rest of the build

Cheers now

Bob

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Just found a couple of links for some scap aircraft but show some more details

https://www.flickr.com/photos/12503706@N08/1294121533

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25538536@N02/7586285924

This is the full site with more undressed wessex

http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/predannack,wessex/Interesting

Bang on with that oil cooler and bulkhead though! Hope these provide a bit more info.

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
  • Like 2

If you asked nicely???

Always works for me, mind you, I've never tried anything like this, and I'm Canadian...

K

They'd probably shoot me, then say "Hey dude, where you from.... love your accent"!

Just found a couple of links for some scrap aircraft but show some more details

Thanks Bob - I didn't have any shots from that side so those are useful.

I thought that the kit gearbox was too far forward, but going by those photo's it looks as if it's in the right place after all.

Looking very nice, love the rear bulkhead, can I just through something in which hopefully wont screw the whole thing up. From what I remember (and it is a good few years ago so I could be wrong!) the transmission deck is level with the bottom of the door cut out. To lift the floor may be a step too far, may be a bit of artistic license and lower the door cut out?

aha...good observation Bob - I think you are right. The last time I got oily and grimy on one of these was back in '84 and a lot of gray matter has gone walkabout since then, especially after an endless diet of Shaffi's and Mr Khan's curries. (Anyone who ever spent time at Sek Kong will understand that reference)

I shall ponder over this. My immediate thoughts are lowering the door cut out may look odd as Italeri seem to have got the relationship between the bottom of the trans deck door and the sliding window correct.

It may actually be easier to raise the transmission floor! Erks alors ! I have to remove more detail from the kit floor in order to do the fan motor etc. - so making a new floor from styrene sheet would solve that problem. I can just sit it on top of the detail I have to remove.

That would allow me to bring the floor level with the door, and also meet the fuselage at the sides (which that kit part does not do).

The down side to that is that it reduces the available height to get the fan and all the other hopti-chopterry stuff in there, but I am sure I can figure something out.

• Like 1

Been having a field day going through Flickr. I searched 'Predannack' and there are loads of bone yard fots. I found this one, I know its not an HC 2 but it gives you quite a good idea of the oil cooler bulkheads, you may also be able to zoom in and make out some finer details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49492308@N08/6609056217

Its an older scanned photo but still gives some good references. I'm particularly liking the Seaking on this site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23231169@N06/4059437962

What with the Seaking group build coming up very soon :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hope these help

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Well spotted, Bob.

On the flickr site there is a nice side shot of XT468.

This shows the gearbox sitting above the transmission

deck which is level with the side of the fuselage.

So maybe they got that bit right.

Now, here's where it gets tricky.... the drive shaft

exits the rear of the gearbox, then there's the rotor

brake, I thought then drive belts for the oil cooler fan?*

and at some point near the oil cooler it

dives down into the cabin, there is a step in the roof.

find that point & you've cracked it.

* My brain is possibly remembering the Puma oil cooler setup!

Thanks Bob. I feel I am beginning to get somewhere now.

I took a dive in and started making something that resembled a drive motor/pump hoobrydink. I added a thin strip of styrene around the brass tube as I noticed some kind of flange on the 1:1 and it breaks up the monotony of the brass tube.

S5002496.JPG

I added a piece of pipe with the smallest diameter wire I could lay my hands on to the side of the pump. It's still a tad on the large side but I think it will do. Obviously, more details to be added to this. However, I am starting to dislike my fan mounting bracket now as I think the side leg needs to be narrower.

I have no idea how I am going to paint this little mechanical gubbins - I can hardly even see it!

S5002497.JPG

Now you can deliberate, cogitate, devise cunning plans, followed by cunning plan B's, add contingency plans. Generally, I do all of the above, then back track a bit and finally go and ask someone for advise.

However, nothing gets the job done like diving in and hitting the task head on.....

S5002498.JPG

That was easy !

Now there's nothing for it but I now HAVE to create my very own gearbox adventure!

Thankfully, it'll be somewhere around July before I get to it at this rate, so the sudden realization of exactly what I have just done, the implications, followed by the blind panic and sudden nausea haven't quite set in yet.

S5002499.JPG

Actually, the decision wasn't too hard to make. I had to raise the floor somehow as Italeri had designed in a scale 10" step down from the trans deck door to the floor the gearbox is mounted on.

I can now raise the floor level the the deck door with relative ease, and adding the various doodads, hoobrydinks, gizzits and thingmies will be a bit easier. (says he ..... trying madly to convince himself!)

*** edited for:

Been thinking a bit further (yup, I know...) and I think I have been misinterpreting my reference photo's.

I just realized that in the photo I have been using from the 4+ book, the shaft has been removed. The hoobrydink I thought was a motor/pump is really the rotor brake assembly.

Why would they put a motor in there when they're driving the fan directly from the shaft running from the MRGB to the intermediate at the tail?

Edited by hendie
  • Like 3

Been having a field day going through Flickr. I searched 'Predannack' and there are loads of bone yard fots. I found this one, I know its not an HC 2 but it gives you quite a good idea of the oil cooler bulkheads, you may also be able to zoom in and make out some finer details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49492308@N08/6609056217

Its an older scanned photo but still gives some good references. I'm particularly liking the Seaking on this site:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23231169@N06/4059437962

What with the Seaking group build coming up very soon :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hope these help

Cheers now

Bob

Some cracking stuff there; Sea Prince with Buccaneer S1, anybody?

Why would they put a motor in there when they're driving the fan directly from the shaft running from the MRGB to the intermediate at the tail?

Doh!

As I said, Somewhere around there the drive shaft dives down into the cabin.

You can see the cover for it in rear cabin shots.

Good pics of that deck area are desperately needed.

Either that or my memory needs new batteries.

• Like 1

Doh!

As I said, Somewhere around there the drive shaft dives down into the cabin.

You can see the cover for it in rear cabin shots.

Good pics of that deck area are desperately needed.

Either that or my memory needs new batteries.

Pete, you might want to consult the (In my opinion) Wessex bible the 4+ book. There are good pics of the transmission platform pages 21 and 28. I'll agree with Hendie, Italeri have made a hames of the gearbox but then it is hidden under the grill/cover. Probably for the avereage modeller it's sufficiently accurate.

Colin

Colin

I really must search out those diagrams. I am convinced that there is a section on the interior.

But where did I put them? It'll be Sunday before I can delve into the vortex I call my filing system.

Hendie this is superb stuff you're doing and judging from your other builds I have no doubt that this will be a stunner.

And remember any turkey left overs from yesterday can be curried.

Trevor

• Like 1

You seem to have hit upon the "Hale Approach" to modelling, ie, "If you don't like something, hack it off and worry about replacing it later.". If you don't have a clear answer to a problem, do what I usually do: I take the Mr McCawber, "Something will turn up" attitude; it usually does and when you are least expecting it.

You are doing just fine so far.

Martin

• Like 4

Pete, you might want to consult the (In my opinion) Wessex bible the 4+ book. There are good pics of the transmission platform pages 21 and 28.

The 4+ book does seem to be the best out there but could still have done with an extra few shots of certain areas.

Mind you, they probably didn't produce the book with the deranged modeler in mind.

Just a thought for a drive belt, can you source a small elastic/rubber band?

I did consider that but elastic bands have a tendency to deteriorate over time.I think I'll end up using a piece of fine thread draped over the appropriate parts. At this scale, and in the position it will be in, I think that will be fine.

• Like 2

A small but nonetheless significant update.

I had limited time today due to being the family taxi driver and pseudo bank ATM but I did get a couple of jobs out of the way that will allow me to move forward.

A lot of careful filing and trial fits allowed me to get a very good fit with the new transmission deck. It was a bit of a pain, that the new deck relied on the position of the old deck which in turn relied on the front and rear cabin bulkhead which relied on ..... and so on.

S5002500.JPG

Once I had the deck in place it was same file/fit/file/fit process for the frame. You can just make out that I razor sawed the stbd side door to allow me to get the frame position. I'm still undecided on the door open/closed thing but regardless of that, I shall be using the razor saw to score around the deck door to deepen the panel lines.

S5002501.JPG

Then I trimmed the rear bulkhead down.

I know that the strengthening formers shouldn't go all the way to the floor, but I reckoned that it was extremely unlikely that anyone would ever be able to see in there after all the gubbins have been fitted so I went with it. Once positioned, I added two strengthening panels behind it.

S5002502.JPG

This has now been set aside to dry overnight.

S5002503.JPG

A special thanks to Oz who let me have some great photo's which are really going to prove useful during this build.

I was reading Colin's thread on his Wessex build earlier and he made mention of something which struck a memory with me. Colin mentioned that the Navy Wessex' used plywood covering over the cabin floor. I was actually thinking about that very thing a day or so ago. I seem to remember the HK Wessex having plywood floor covering, but could remember if we just put them in just for VIP fit or whether they were standard - If anyone has any insight on the use of plywood flooring, that would be appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm like that other poster and half of what you guys are talking about is way over my head. My limited experience with helos is as a form of transportation to and getting shot at; with an occasional being shot at while being transported. Nevertheless, this is shaping into one of your typically excellent builds rife with self-flagellation followed by brilliant pieces of scratch building. My kind of thread. Sounds like you got sucked into some Black Friday trips today; my deepest sympathies.

• Like 3

Look who's talking. I think I have the moral, modelling high ground in this.

I believe I just finished another shelf of doom plane and should have another completed by the end of the weekend. And you?

Going to go have a look at the osprey now.