Wessex HC2 - A Dauphin's Stablemate: 520 days later.... IT'S FINISHED ! (why, yes it is indeed)

hendie

Last update for the weekend... while waiting for my curry to finish cooking.

I spent about an hour messing about with small rivets, scrap bits of styrene and heading down a dead end earlier.

I wanted to replicate the two nozzles that can be seen just inside of the nose. This was my first attempt at producing the mounting brackets. I knew at this point that they looked a little on the large side - but you never know!

S5002463.JPG

Until you come to make the nozzles themselves. These were some left over rivets from my Dalek build a while back. I reduced the diameter of the rivet head by filing it in my (really crud) mini-drill. I then drilled a hole in the top of the rivet, to try and make it look more "nozzle - like"

S5002462.JPG

It did actually look pretty good for a pseudo-nozzle, but it was obviously way oversize (forgot to take photo's again), so that idea was dumped and I tried again.

This time I went for a much smaller rivet - there was no way on earth that I was going to be able to drill a hole in this rivet, but it was much more in scale than my first attempt. I also started adding some framework to the inside of the nose.

S5002465.JPG

There's still a few pieces to add but I am pleased with this so far. I also added a couple of "gaskets" around the intakes. Don't ask how long it took to make them! - the flange is probably only 1.5mm wide, if that.

If Italeri had made a decent mold with constant wall thickness, this job on the nose would have been much easier (and neater!)

S5002466.JPG

The last parts (I think!) were added to the underside. However, I have seen photo's of some HC2 undersides and have noticed a few different bits and bobs present. I shall need to investigate further.

S5002467.JPG

And the last job for this weekend was to make a start on the transmission deck. The kit part isn't particularly accurate and appears to roll two frames/bulkheads into one, flattening the structure in between. Way to go Italeri!

So I am going to have a go and see if I can make a better looking transmission deck. The arched frame was made by using the kit part as a template, then I lined the inner arc with a strip of styrene to form a "T" structure. When the glue was dried, I filed down the excess styrene on both sides of the frame. The kit part has 3 protrusions each side, but my reference photo's show these as lightening holes... again must check a bit further though.

S5002469.JPG

I want to have at least one of the trans decks open, so I have to make a half decent attempt at creating a transmission deck.

Of course, the best laid plans of mice and men.....

• Like 3

Thanks Hovis - those are excellent shots - and perfect timing.

I just realized after looking at these shots that I shouldn't have attached that large box structure on the underside. A quick look at my reference shots confirmed that, then it was a mad dash downstairs into the basement to remove the box. Luckily I had used slow setting epoxy resin, and I managed to remove it without too much hassle - or damage. There will be a little touch up required but nothing major at all

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2

That Wessex belly is waaay too clean.

Hendie,

You say two frames/bulkheads are merged?

From the pictures I've seen it must be around

the oil cooler area?

The panels over it don't seem wide enough in

the pictures of kits that I've seen. Maybe the

transmission platforms are too long?

They must have measured up the real thing from

ground level as the top half really seems to be guesswork.

• Like 1

yup, around the oil cooler area, that's correct. I have only just started looking into it so I am not quite sure what the main errors are yet.

I should also mention that the kit beetleback is a piece of crud - no idea what I am going to do about that yet.

The great thing for the rest of us who have a Wessie or two in the stash is that we can be sure you will find a way of I proving the beetle back, and we can then shamelessly copy you...!

Dagnabbit! now you've given me a challenge.... where's a 1/72 Nigel when you need him?

Ok, one idea starting to form in my randomized grey matter - we'll see where that ends up some time in the future.

I think the trans deck area is going to be the focus of my next stramash into scratching.

I was looking at the Eduard PE sets - did I mention how much I hate them, PE in general that is. Do the people that create this stuff actually do any modelling? I look at a PE fret and think that half of it is useless, and there are some screamingly obvious parts crying out for PE that they seem to ignore. Maybe I've just got a warped mind.

I looked at both the interior and exterior sets for the Wessex. I think it was Colin that mentioned the PE looked over scale - after looking at the two sets, I think he's right.

Some of it looks okay, but other parts appear way over scale. I'm not a great fan of sticking bits of PE on a kit just because they're there. The stuff on the tail end of the Wessex is a classic example. Italeri have done a nice job of providing some fine detail on brackets and such which looks great - in some cases, I think the PE looks worse than the molded detail.

However, the kit seats are laughable and I think PE is a must there, but I am internally combusting at the thought of paying that much for PE when all I would use is the seats, and maybe another 15% of the fret. The same goes for the external fret - maybe the foot rests and a few other parts.

Maybe I'll try stretching my scratching skills....

• Like 2

How hard is this in big scale Hendie?

In 72th I pull moulded a couple of seat pans from (yes) a clothes peg end then blocked the rest out of plasticard strips

In big scale like this easy as simple

I agree with you about sticking etch all over the outside, it makes the model LOOK like a model to me

Plastic on the suface looks more 'like' to me

SeatWessexpilots.jpg

Oh dear more outside interference :( sorry

;)

• Like 1

How hard is this in big scale Hendie?

Have you seen the size of my paws??? Big scale to who? or is that a "whom"?

I might have a go at scratching - just for my own amusement and to see just how "fine" a piece of scratch I can make. I'll pre-warn you - don't expect Fritag or Martin H quality though

• Like 1

You get extra points for using the word "stramash", too!

Speaking of Fritag, has he retired from modelling after reaching JP perfection, or can we look forward to Hawks, Jaguars & the odd F16?

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1

Hendie

You are a glutton for punishment but will look out for this with interest.

I 'may' have some diagrams from a technical manual somewhere for the interior. If I can find them I'll let you know. It'll take me some time to hunt them down where I think they may be though.

Trevor

You are a glutton for punishment but will look out for this with interest.

Not so much a glutton as just completely stupid. I like to think of myself as the dog who lies too close to the fire and moans when he gets burned but is just too darn stubborn to move another 6 inches away.

I 'may' have some diagrams from a technical manual somewhere for the interior. If I can find them I'll let you know. It'll take me some time to hunt them down where I think they may be though.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor - any information is useful. Don't rush though - it'll probably be June or July before I get anywhere near the interior, or it could be next week, who knows!

If there's one thing I have learned so far. An HC2 is not an HU5 (or an UH5), and furthermore, not all HC2's are equal. Don't you just love it when an HC2 over there isn't the same as an HC2 over there !

Unfortunately, good photo's of 28 Sqn helo's are hard to come by, particularly one's showing any level of detail. However, I have managed to spot a few crucial differences with my limited resources. (Been saving any webby photo's for a while now)

Edited by hendie

I'll apologize in advance, no update tonight - just another few gripes and a question.

There I was feeling quite proud of myself and my little piece of framework that I had managed to create with my own fair hands grubby paws. I knew it was going too well - I had a quick check of the kit part (which I had used as a template) and guess what.... it's not even close to the inner profile.

Yes - I should have checked!

S5002470.JPG

It actually sits way back in here - but is still way out in shape. As far as I can tell, this part should be even further back and located just where the beetle back starts.

S5002471.JPG

Time to start scratching some new frames I guess.

Another big flaw, as Pete pointed out - is that Italeri got the trans deck wrong. 1) They have it going all the way forward to the sliding window, which is incorrect. So, I grabbed one of the windows to use as a reference as to where the trans deck should end - and what do you know.... Italeri have given us windows with rounded corners!

S5002472.JPG

and 2) The winch trap door is in the wrong position. Then to cap it all, they put one of the winch attachment points ON the trans deck door!!! Numpties! How are you supposed to open the deck with the winch bolted to it?

The panel just to the left which I have circled also appears to be in the wrong position.

OOps ! Edited 'cos I have really been away from these for a long long time. What I thought was a panel line was in fact a rivet line, so I answered my own question.

Edited by hendie
  • Like 2

Well count me in for the ride too. I have absolutely no knowledge of this helicopter other than it is in the "ugly is beautiful" category. Looks like you will have fun and I foresee it derailing your train build!

• Like 1

I saw what you did there ! wordplay huh?... train... derail.... Ha you legal folks you!

Well the soldering iron arrived today, now I just need to get some solder. I think I might need the carriage as a distraction from this to keep me sane

A search in the Wessex walkarounds gave forth this lot.

1/ The Transmission platform winch door is almost directly in line with the head

So it is too far forward on the kit.

2/ Those rivet lines look stupid. They used mushroom head rivets mostly. Mag alloy.

I replaced dozens in my time on them. Not many countersunk ones used.

3/ look at the pics of the HAS 3 at Weston. In pic 2 a Bristow Wessex is in the background

and you can see the arch of the frame that the rear of the trans platform butted up to.

4/ The pic of the Wessex at Manston on it's side reveals a short connecting drive shaft

from the main gearbox to the transmission brake below this arched frame.

5/ No pics but memory says the oil cooler is next back on the frame that supports the

front of the beetle back. Drive via belts from the tail rotor drive shaft.

6/ You are correct, the corners on the sliding windows should not be radiused.

And the trans platform doesn't directly abut the rear of the cockpit.

As I said earlier, They measured this thing from ground level. Very shabby work.

• Like 3

Have just caught up with this thread having been laid up with 'flu for the last few days. I have to say you have made a cracking start and you will do justice to the subject. Remember, you thought you couldn't do it with the Dauphin and managed to prove yourself wrong big time.

Martin

• Like 1

Me I'm not too sure they actually measured one at all

Hendie, I hope you were watching when I showed you how to make bulged windows in acetate so you can cut out square and angular windows

that line of rivets runs just about where the real edge of the winch access panel sits by my estimation, I think a new deck access panel will soon sort that out :)

When I made my XR525 I got close and intimate with her at Cosford, all her little fixtures and plugs are somewhere in my 'pooter

Not pretty photos, (I can't do pretty) but yours if you need them mate

Oh boy. You go away for a week and Hendie finishes a couple of great builds and then starts a masterpiece.......... :)

You've sure captured the collective imagination here Hendie. It seems to me that the Wessex is just one of those machines that even non helicopter-lovers love (if you see wot I mean).

I've got awfully fond memories of being carted around in RAF yellow air sea rescue Wessex's.

An RAF Wessex was first on the scene when I drove one of HM's Jag's into Black Fell in Cumbria.

I have less fond memories of being dunked in the sea by them but there you go.....

Far more likely to do some Crabair machine in the One True Colour scheme. Perhaps a Jaguar M (cos there was a least one of those!), to wind up Fritag. EDSG over white, obviously!

Who wouldn't have wanted to have experienced jet cat and trap operations on a carrier eh? Must be one of the greatest adrenalin rushes in aviation?

Might even have been worth being cooped up on a carrier alongside a bunch of Navy helicopter types to get the chance of doing that :) (for one tour anyway) Although maybe the Navy had a veto over any RAF types considered undesirable?

Dunno about doing it with only the thrust of a couple of Adours......

I could've be persuaded by an F18 tho' :) (unfulfilled dream.....)

Have you seen the size of my paws??? Big scale to who? or is that a "whom"?

I might have a go at scratching - just for my own amusement and to see just how "fine" a piece of scratch I can make.

1/48 hendie? Brave man. No hiding in 1/48 scale :)

Speaking of Fritag, has he retired from modelling..........or can we look forward to Hawks, Jaguars & the odd F16?

Speaking of odd aircraft Crisp. Where's the Barracuda :)

• Like 1