Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

1 hour ago, Despy said:

OK, this is not a new model kit announced but it seems it's a right place to share this.

I'm building the battle droid & STAP that arrived recently and I'd like to share a jaw dropping feature that I came across with Bandai. Maybe it's been already used for many years (/dothraki voice in: "it's known" /dothraki voice out) but it is the first time I see such thing.

While building the arms of battle droid, there is that part that I don't know how they could succeed to mold. Please look to the picture below, the left arm (B-6) is on sprue while the right arm is already disconnected from the sprue (you see it on lefthand side). And as you can see, the joints are moving! I mean, you cut it and with little force the joints are moving, without any assembly/alteration. I don't know how the female-male parts are molded. For storm troopers etc. you build the parts separately and you click the joints to their cradle, but with this one, it's already in their cradle.

31910645845_01f81f5fdc_c.jpgBattle droid sprue[/url]

Maybe it's old news and feel free to make fun of me, but it's the first time I come across such thing. My hat off to Bandai. And if Bandai did not import it from a parallel universe, the use is limitless, few things that come to mind: aircraft landing gears, tank working tracks, all figures' joints can be produced such way

That's a bandai thing. I don't think anyone else does it. On the bigger gundam figures, the hands have individual finger joints done the same way. It's really incredible. 

• Like 1

Yeah... it is known :shrug:  Even on the 1:144 Real Grade (RG) Gundams you get those joints, including moving fingers.  incredible attention to detail and use of technology from Bandai.  They really do put some of the other manufacturers to shame, to whom slide-moulding is still too new-fangled and expensive to use! :lol:  4 or 5 colours on one sprue, and co-moulded parts?  They'd have a coronary! :frantic:

• Like 2

With this new big 1/2 Scale BB-8 for April?, plus the surprise 1/6 stormtrooper that came out of nowhere, we might just get bigger figures like 3PO etc. As yet we dont get 1/12 figures with faces, so id expect the bigger figures to be masked/helmeted too. Certainly goes against any idea that Bandai wouldnt make bigger kits "as the Japanese market wouldnt want them living in small houses" etc.

From what ive seen of the 1/2 BB-8 it seems to have a rotating head in the same place on the body. I wonder if Bandai will put lighting in it and maybe sounds. This new 1/2 BB-8 is 34cm so a 30cm Death Star is similar size. Im almost convinced we will see a 1/72 Falcon & 1/48 AT-AT and after the awesome Rogue One a huge 1/700 Star Destroyer, CR-90 Blockade Runner & Hammerhead Corvette.

***SPOILER FROM ROGUE ONE***

SO much awesome!

Spoiler

the-ghost-is-in-the-center-and-bottom-of

• Like 1

Put me down for a BB-8 in 1:2 scale.  I'd also be seriously tempted by that RC one if I could justify the £120+ price tag :( I was determined not to like BB-8 because, well, he's just not Artoo, but he grew on me fairly quickly, and now he's one of the Star Wars Family.  After tonight's sad news, my greatest wish would be for a 1:12 Leia in her Hoth gear.  It makes me more than a bit sad that she's gone...

• Like 4

I have the 16" RC/voice activated R2 and wanted the RC BB-8 too. But on all the ones i looked at the underside of the head wasnt tall enough and the heads looked squashed down on his body. The Bandai one looks right. I really like BB-8 but R2's the really naughty one, he swears like a trooper and the PG film censors cant stop him lol.

Yes so sad to loose Carrie, she will always have a special place in my heart & live forever in Star Wars. A hoth outfit Leia would be cool but atm Bandai dont seem to be doing figures with faces.

c876e57224f24d6e8deb4cc88c77ea45.jpg

I always wanted Bandai to make a Boushh Leia i really liked that character, total badass ready to blow everyone up with a thermal detonator.

thermal-detonator.jpeg

57491602744beadd9bf7326b1f5bca99.jpg

• Like 4

On 27/12/2016 at 6:52 PM, BobSolo said:

With this new big 1/2 Scale BB-8 for April?, plus the surprise 1/6 stormtrooper that came out of nowhere, we might just get bigger figures like 3PO etc. As yet we dont get 1/12 figures with faces, so id expect the bigger figures to be masked/helmeted too. Certainly goes against any idea that Bandai wouldnt make bigger kits "as the Japanese market wouldnt want them living in small houses" etc.

From what ive seen of the 1/2 BB-8 it seems to have a rotating head in the same place on the body. I wonder if Bandai will put lighting in it and maybe sounds. This new 1/2 BB-8 is 34cm so a 30cm Death Star is similar size. Im almost convinced we will see a 1/72 Falcon & 1/48 AT-AT and after the awesome Rogue One a huge 1/700 Star Destroyer, CR-90 Blockade Runner & Hammerhead Corvette.

***SPOILER FROM ROGUE ONE***

SO much awesome!

Hide contents

the-ghost-is-in-the-center-and-bottom-of

Has there been any word on this 1/2 BB-8? I was under the impression it was only a display model & there were no known plans to release it. Much like the big Vader TIE that was only ever a display model. Would definitely order one if it was released!

The BB-8 is scheduled for release in April 2017.  In my last delivery from Japan there was a short form Bandai catalogue with the 1:6 stormtrooper on the back and at the bottom of the page there is mention if the 1:2 BB-8.  No details on price yet though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madmonk said:

The BB-8 is scheduled for release in April 2017.  In my last delivery from Japan there was a short form Bandai catalogue with the 1:6 stormtrooper on the back and at the bottom of the page there is mention if the 1:2 BB-8.  No details on price yet though.

Nice! Thanks for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...

If they stick to the approx. 1:144 scale then a small scale trench run dio would be possible, you could even use the 1:144 Falcon for the moment when Han returns and takes out DV!!

• Like 2

I have a bad feeling about this - in other words I doubt they will upscale it. There is no 1:72 Falcon from Bandai so far either and apart from the 1:48 X-Wing there is no bigger SW kit either from Bandai. Only the figures get some bigger version it seems (Stormtrooper and BB8) and although the AT-AT has legs I am affraid it is not a figure kit :-(

Would be nice if a Snowspeeder and a laser turret were included in the AT-AT box.

Well the AT AT appears to have the slot base to allow it to be joined to others so its possible we may see a snow speeder pack and possibly Rebel ground defences in 1/144. I probably wouldn't say no if they decided to do the elements from the Battle of Hoth in 1/144, AT-AT, AT-ST and snowtroopers against Rebel ground troops and Snow speeders, It would allow a table top battle scene, something that would take up a room in 72nd  plus they do the Rebel spacecraft in 1/144 to do the Hanger.

• Like 1

I plan on modeling Rey's AT-AT house, there is an extra Rey and also BB-8 in the 1/144 Falcon kit.

For Hoth the 1/144 diorama's will be so cool. But im still holding out for a 1/48 AT-AT, to go with 3x 1/48 Speeders, the scale and details will be amazing. I am really looking forward to seeing what others do too, fun times ahead.

• Like 2

I'm not sold on the prequel version (hairy) head, but the OT head looks great, and it's good news in general that they're doing figures with faces. It would have been nice to see it in 1/12 first though

32403508575_f6b304a805_b.jpg

32403508215_b5cbd403ef_b.jpg

32403507875_a1469a5aac_b.jpg

31592541393_3f5e345a22_o.jpg

Andy

• Like 1