Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

He did the same with the PG Pheonix. I understand a business' need to make a profit (I spent the last three years selling materials handling equipment) but chucking a 70% mark-up on something (even if it is low-volume/high value) shows nothing but contempt for your, usually, well educated customer base who will be aware that you're trying to pull a fast one.

Considering though that this is the same store that immediately put their prices on all stock (not just new deliveries) up significantly after last year's Brexit vote and the falling value of Sterling, I'm not really surprised.

As it happens, the Bandai kit as a whole will be passing me by, I'll stick with my two AMT versions and the resin upgrades as, for all their foibles, I could still buy another four for the cost of importing a single Bandai kit and as such I cannot justify the cost. 

• Like 3

I have been talking to a couple of people I know about this and thought it worth passing on what I have found out.

The kit is only available in Japan, any non-Japanese venders will have to rely on having a contact in Japan that is willing to buy on their behalf.  They will have to buy at full price, not trade so the base cost of the kit is going to be £310. 

It now appears that Bandai are allowing 12 kits per order rather than the 1 that was initially reported.

Any site taking pre-orders are doing so knowing that they may not be able to fulfil all the pre-orders unless they know enough people in Japan willing to buy 12 kits on their behalf and ship them.

Personally I would only pre-order with a site I have used before and then only after talking to them about what happens if they can't get the stock.

On to the overall cost, at 43,000 Yen the base price is about £310, shipping on the last order I had from Japan which should be about the same size/weight was about £90, you then have to add on VAT and import duty which would be about £100 so expect to pay as a minimum £500 plus whatever mark-up the vendor wants to add.  Personally £250 is a bit steep!!

Hope that all helps.

Cheers,

Warren

2 hours ago, Madmonk said:

The kit is only available in Japan, any non-Japanese venders will have to rely on having a contact in Japan that is willing to buy on their behalf.  They will have to buy at full price, not trade so the base cost of the kit is going to be £310. 

It now appears that Bandai are allowing 12 kits per order rather than the 1 that was initially reported.

On to the overall cost, at 43,000 Yen

Found this earlier, though have not yet been able to verify it.

Also, on pricing that's 43,000 Yen with JPN Sales Tax so that price would vary depending on which storefront you bought it from I would have thought (though not massively).

19400034_10154747363432939_1301856625693

Launching globally?  Has Europe fallen off the earth and they've found a way of creating artificial gravity just in time, or are we (and Africa etc.) not all that important? :crying:

• Like 2

I know. Stretching the term 'Globally' a bit there. But those countries listed are a) the only places with country specific P-Bandai sites and B) the only place Bandai has a license to sell SW stuff (even if it is only the vehicles in the case of the USA).

On 2017-06-21 at 14:54, Portaler said:

These prices are making my DeAgostini look like a bargain !

Love my Falcon, still a work in progress at the moment though, but slowly does it. Once in a lifetime job !

Which Falcon? Are you posting the build?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iSteve said:

Which Falcon? Are you posting the build?

I'm doing the DeAgostini Falcon. It's great.

Not posting the build though, there's plenty of builds out there with far more skill than mine. Which is also great. Really good for help/hints etc for us inexperienced builders each step of the build.

Edit : Here is the best guide I've seen. It's my Bible....

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240711

Edited by Portaler
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Portaler said:

I'm doing the DeAgostini Falcon. It's great.

Not posting the build though, there's plenty of builds out there with far more skill than mine. Which is also great. Really good for help/hints etc for us inexperienced builders each step of the build.

Edit : Here is the best guide I've seen. It's my Bible....

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240711

Just... wow. Great reference for building the Falcon from any kit.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

That pre-order has been unavailable for some time. I think its limit was filled within hours of it being posted. It's a decent price, but there's always shipping... Will be worth checking again mid-August to see if they've increased their expected stock.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The 1/72 Falcon is now available for pre-order with some very attractive pricing at Culttvman:

This is a PREORDER RESERVATION and it is expected in December 2017.  Please see the Preorder instructions below. 

YOUR PRICE $339.95

Retail Price: 399.95

There is lots of buzz about this new kit coming from Bandai.   This 1:72 scale kit is meticulously researched, and based on the 5 foot miniature from the original Star Wars.   It will measure about 19 inches when built.  This model will feature three landing gear as seen in the original Star Wars.    It will have a detailed landing ramp, cockpit, laser cannon interior and seated figures.  The model will also include photoetch detailing and LED lighting.   

NOTE:  This is an expensive kit and we are requiring a $150 non-refundable down payment.    After you place your preorder, we will send you an invoice through Pay Pal for $150.   The balance will be due at the time the kit is in stock.  

Please follow these simple steps to place your Preorder:
  1. You must be logged into your account to place a Preorder Reservation.  If you do not have an account, you may create one on the My Account page.
  2. Add the item to the cart.
  3. The price will show as $0.00 and you will not be charged at this time.
  4. Submit your order.
  5. We will contact you when the item is expected to arrive to submit payment. We will provide a specific link so you can pay on line with credit card, Pay Pal or you may mail in your payment.

A couple notes about Preorders:

• Your account must be in good standing to place a Preorder Reservation.  
  • Shipping costs are subject to change.
  • Duplicate preorders will be deleted.  Please do not place multiple preorders for the same product!
  • Payment is expected within two weeks of the product arrival unless other arrangements are made.   If you don't pay for your products, you will no longer be able to place new preorders.   Do not place a preorder if you do are not going to pay for it!

Shipping Estimates (subject to change)

South Eastern USA

• Priority/Parcel $12

Central/Northeast USA

• Priority $25.00

Western USA

• Priority $60.00
  • Parcel $25.00

Canada

• Priority International $60

Europe/Japan/Australia/New Zealand

• Priority International $80

Not Bandai and a blatant product plug so please remove if not appropriate Mike!!

JPG Productions have produced another 1:12 Droid kit to go with the Gonk and Bandai's Figure/Droid range.

This time from SW Rebels is Chopper, a 13 part resin kit.

QKzqmMj.jpg

J5xrIHV.jpg

dwDZwEf.jpg

Will be available next week, £25 plus P+P.

Cheers,

Warren

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Just when you thought the most expensive Falcon was with us, Lego Ultimate Collectors Series release this!!!

rMhaF1L.jpg

Over 7500 pieces and a tad (well £1) under £650.

Better start racking up the brownie points at home guys!

• Like 1

Bandai's kits for the Last Jedi have been announced - http://bandai-hobby.net/sw/jp/special/the_last_jedi.html (h/t to edge10 on the RPF). Looks like mostly a bunch of re-issues, sadly. Looks like Poe Dameron's T-70 is getting a goofy-looking fifth engine bolted on the back, which will be available in 1:72, and in 1:144 bundled with the 1:350 Falcon in TFA/TLJ drag and the regular Resistance T-70 (presumably the same as VM 003, but molded in white). 

So, some nice little tweaks, but a bit disappointing. No TIE Interceptor Silencer. No ski speeder. No walkers. Just minor variants of kits we already have. 

Now everyone that has a 1:350 3-landing gear Falcon can have a 5-landing gear version alongside it too, though :) (although you can only get it with a pair of T-70 X-Wings bundled in, alas). 

Edited by monsterpartyhat