Star Wars new model kits from Bandai

Despy

Maybe they will release a second version without the light kit that will be more widely distributed. Didn't they do something similar with the 1/144th scale Falcon?

1 hour ago, R0ver said:

Maybe a silly question but what are P-Bandai sites? I'm pretty sure I get the gist but I'm seeing P-Bandai mentioned a lot recently and not really familiar with the term. 

It stands for Premium Bandai. It's a product line devoted to items that they want to kit, but wont sell in massive numbers. So they charge a higher price and make limited quantities. Mostly it's for ace pilot mobile suits, or weird suits like the GM Cannon or Powered GM.  Very much a niche market kit.

While a Millennium Falcon will sell, it won't sell as well as other stuff.  According to modeling websites, up to 80% of all models sold in Japan are Bandai kits.

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Despy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, this is the first plastic injected kit of 5 footer a.k.a. THE Millennium Falcon (all others being 30 incher)

The MPC, Revell easykit, Revell pocket kit are all the 3 gear ANH Falcon (5 footer)....the Bandai 1/144 is based on the CG asset from The Force Awakens,...which is a CG representation of the 5 Footer (5 gear),....the Bandai 1/350 (3 gear ANH 5 footer)

The only models based on the 32" are the 1/72 (now repackaged as Revell Master Series) &1/144 FineMolds kits & the recent DeAgostini Studio Scale Part work....Also the Master Replica pre-assembled& painted prop

....but this is the first accurate model of the 5 Footer at 72nd scale

J

• Like 2

Geez don't think I've received so many emails from one thread in one day ! Excellent news !!

I would have thought the current Japanese sellers will still put it up on eBay, just like all the other Bandai kits which we import from Asia. Sure there will be the added import tax etc to add.

However, even if they were to sell them in Europe the sellers here would still have to pass on import tax to the people buying anyway. So no "real" save. There may be savings for shipping and any discount on bulk orders the seller "may" pass on, but he will have to make a profit somewhere too.

Anyway, it certainly is exciting.

I wonder how many people asked for the Falcon in 1/72 in that online survey they did a month or so ago ? Pretty sure I did !

Edited by Portaler

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:19 PM, The Chief Smeg said:

Well not officially no, but you can import them via evilbay and scAmazon 

Bandai are available in Europe. I buy mine from Japan Cool in Leeds, he imports them and goes around the UK models shows

They showed this off at a toy fair in Japan last year so it was being worked on way before the survey.

Current info coming out of Japan is that it will only be available on the P-Bandai sites and not through normal vendors and it will be limited to 1 per customer so no bulk buying.

USA Gundam Site is offering a pre-order service if you are in the USA but that seems to contradict everything Bandai have put out there, know nothing about them so be careful out there!

I think I'll hold off worrying about how to purchase until I see a review or a comparison review between Bandai and Fine Molds Falcons. I have the Fine Molds kit and am well aware of its shortcomings. While the Bandai 1/72 X-wings are more accurate than the Fine Molds', it wasn't enough for me to replace my FM kits with Bandai.

As the Bandai kit is the New Hope version, it's also going to be a bit like comparing Macintosh apples with Spartan apples.

The main differences between the FM & Bandai Falcons will be size & shape,  the FM is around 430mm long,....working out at 1/80 scale, the Bandai will be 480mm,....the FM is based on the 32" filming model which isn't as bulky as the 5 foot model, which the Bandai kit represents,.....but to make matters worse the FM kit is about 10mm flatter than what it should be,....this is the cause of all the inaccuracies of the FM kit,.....the knock on effect of this mistake effects everything else

J

• Like 1

Not Bandai but JPG Productions has added to their 1:12 Gonk droid by producing a resin kit of Chopper from SW Rebels.

Chopper%20Parts_zpsulxmmqys.jpg

Chopper_zps2lcpvebi.jpg

See my vendor thread for costs and other new SW kits from JPG.

• Like 3

On 2017-6-5 at 14:08, jaitea said:

The main differences between the FM & Bandai Falcons will be size & shape,  the FM is around 430mm long,....working out at 1/80 scale, the Bandai will be 480mm,....the FM is based on the 32" filming model which isn't as bulky as the 5 foot model, which the Bandai kit represents,.....but to make matters worse the FM kit is about 10mm flatter than what it should be,....this is the cause of all the inaccuracies of the FM kit,.....the knock on effect of this mistake effects everything else

J

*sigh*

Yup, when I look at some nicely finished kits of the FM, there's no getting around the height. I really wasn't hung up on the mandibles issue, but the Bandai kit does look better. So now it becomes an internal debate:

• Is the Bandai really worth the extra cost?
  • Can I still get a decent price for my FM kit - especially now that Revell is producing it?
  • If I do sell, what guarantee will I have that the Bandai will still be available? How limited is "Limited?" And will I end up paying eBay prices?

This is the opposite, suckier conundrum to my Star Destroyer issue: keep my Anigrand or buy the Zvezda.

I'm really open to advice on this one.

IMO your FM Falcon still has value- especially since the Bandai kit is not released yet and will be difficult for most people to get due the limited production and the way they chose to sell it. If you kit was priced a bit below what Revell is charging then you have a great chance to sell it for some decent money.

The Bandai Falcon is one I am thinking will be a series of kits- a few sprues swapped out and you have the TESB and TFA versions. I am planning on getting the TESB one myself- I think it looks the best.

The ANH Falcon is available for preorder already on different sites so you still have an opportunity to get one. Due to the nature of this release it will not be available for long so if you want to order one I would pull the trigger soon.

Just my opinion for what it's worth...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard Baker said:

IMO your FM Falcon still has value- especially since the Bandai kit is not released yet and will be difficult for most people to get due the limited production and the way they chose to sell it. If you kit was priced a bit below what Revell is charging then you have a great chance to sell it for some decent money.

The Bandai Falcon is one I am thinking will be a series of kits- a few sprues swapped out and you have the TESB and TFA versions. I am planning on getting the TESB one myself- I think it looks the best.

The ANH Falcon is available for preorder already on different sites so you still have an opportunity to get one. Due to the nature of this release it will not be available for long so if you want to order one I would pull the trigger soon.

Just my opinion for what it's worth...

Thanks for your input Richard.

Luckily, I bought my FM Falcon when it was first released so only paid $180 US for it, so yeah, I stand to make a couple of bucks. I guess my real problem right now is cash flow. Thanks to paying a big chunk in taxes this year, I'm not as flush as I normally am, otherwise I would have just pre-ordered somewhere and been done. It will take me a couple months to be able to have the cash to pull the trigger on the Bandai kit. But, since I'd have to sell my FM for cash and even then wait a month or so, I'm mostly concerned about availability. Your post does give me some hope though, if in fact there may be more versions coming. We'll see.

Anyone have any predictions on availability after the release date?

I have no way of knowing how Bandai will market the Falcon but tooling it for 1/72 won't have been cheap. I would expect them to use the mouldings as often as the market will take. So you will definitely see a "Force Awakens" Falcon and perhaps a "Last Jedi" one? Then you've got the lit version and the unlit...

I guess you can do it by dropping the price through the different releases or by maintaining the price until you have saturated the market.

The word is the Bandai Falcon will be available August 28 in the following 12 countries:

Japan, U.S., Canada, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, thePhilippines, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, and Indonesia.

from press release:

http://bandai-a.akamaihd.net/corp/press/100000569595953.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjLsp_l-MzUAhVOJFAKHefGB2sQFggvMAU&usg=AFQjCNG2GrRgLUnKxKA SuG6GxnBBEHSzFQ

39 minutes ago, Mike said:

:Tasty:  I need a short-term loan... think.  Quick quick :hmmm:

Especially if you want to get it from Chilly Nippon :poop:. He wants £750 for one.

though how these people doing pre-orders expect to guarantee stock for anyone silly enough to pay their scalper prices I have no idea, it's fairly easy to enforce a one-per-customer rule through the use of registered addressees.