Hawker Typhoon aerials

spitfire

I'm on the last stages on my build and want to add the radio whip aerial, IFF blade antenna, and the “Rebecca” Beam-approach aerial.

What I would like to know is the length of the radio aerial and IFF antenna.

Also would the IFF and beam approach be painted in the underside colours, the RAF museum example has yellow IFF and the beam approach seems to have a black body and yellow aerial, is this likely ?

Also does anyone have any dimensions for the beam approach body ?

Cheers

Dennis

While we're discussing these details, does anyone have any trends (maybe in terms of date ranges, or role, or where they were based) for whether or not the beam-approach aerial was fitted?

While we're discussing these details, does anyone have any trends (maybe in terms of date ranges, or role, or where they were based) for whether or not the beam-approach aerial was fitted?

Here's some info for Spitfires, http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

Cheers

Dennis

Aerials were normally not painted, since the material was often stainless steel, so the yellow sounds like a post-war "elfin safety" addition for museum staff crawling around underneath.
The only material (that I've found so far) that had yellow paint advocated was (magnetic) armour plate, as on the Lancaster pilot's headrest.

Aerials were normally not painted, since the material was often stainless steel, so the yellow sounds like a post-war "elfin safety" addition for museum staff crawling around underneath.

The only material (that I've found so far) that had yellow paint advocated was (magnetic) armour plate, as on the Lancaster pilot's headrest.

Thanks Edgar, stainless steel it shall be, the yellow paint did sound a bit unlikely and more of a modern touch, any idea on the length of the IFF antenna ?

Cheers

Dennis

Going by Peter Cooke's drawings + some odd photos, it looks to be 15" (possibly 18") long, 2" in width, and has an aerofoil cross-section.

Thanks Edgar, you are a star.

Cheers

Dennis