Sherman Mk III DV Early - 44° Royal Tank Regiment - Catania 1943 (Sicily)

Hi guys
today I present another one my work, a British Sherman in Sicily during Operation Husky , 1943 July.
My idea was born from this photo taken at Catania in early august 1943. The surprise is which the zone visible in photo is near where I live, I shot some photos for a then and now.

2mx3odh.jpg

5xolmu.jpg

xt95l.jpg

and this is the tank

mmwj5z.jpg

a10orc.jpg

I imagine it during move into Catania town.

2vhu1i9.jpg

ddm7ps.jpg

I hope you like it.

Bye

Michelangelo

• Like 21

You`ve built a lovely Sherman III there and the` then and now' photos are great,.....if a little scary! It just shows how time marches on and places change over the years!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Brilliant work ! What colours did you use for this tank ? Have a Sherman III in 1/72.

Hi BerndM

I used Tamiya's colours , in detail:

The base color is the Light Mud, used since March '43 in North Africa, producing the mix with Tamiya colors, and exactly 40 parts of XF55, 18 of XF66 and 8 of XF49, I slightly changed the colour of the base color for the lower hull using the following parts:1st step 10 - 10 - 3, 2nd step I have added to the previous mix 5 parts of black.Finally the last color is a pass of light XF55 more diluited for not cover the preshading effect, after this phase I made a coat of wax Future for protect the base colour and then two thin layers of hairspray. Viewing the photo of Randy I noticed that the dark patches of camouflage were nuanced edges and especially I have noticed that the red-white-red emblem of the left side was partly covered with the dark color. I then applied the decal on the model and then with a Badger 150 and Nato Black I played very dilute dark spots taking a cue from the original photo.

This is an extract of my article , which I will publish soon on magazine.

mike

My dad went up through Italy in Sherman III's as part of the 6th armoured div. Would their paint scheme have been the same?

Yes ,is possible.

• Like 1