Profil 24 1/24 Maserati 450S

PC2012

Thanks Chaps, I'll give it a go. The 'Ray Brown' reference is great. They look a bit like WW2 Luftwaffe belts. I can probably make the buckles from spare PE and fuse wire. Going to do a bit more on the body tonight :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Codger,

I haven't done any modelling for two months. Work has been really busy and near enough any free time I had I just kept falling asleep! Then our dog died a month ago, my wife and I were both devastated and I haven't been able to face doing anything since then. He used to stay up with me and watch me modelling.... all those late nights, just me and him :( Work has calmed down a bit now, so I would like to get back to doing the car again soon. I'll let you know. Thanks for the message mate........

• 1 month later...

Starting to get my mojo back after a long break from modelling. I haven't even looked on BM for weeks, so after I post I'll have a look and see what's been happening :) I've nearly finished the exhaust (picture of the real one as well). I've tried to get as close as I can to the real one. I still have some few finishing touches to do. BTW does anyone know the best way to seal pastels? I've already tried white spirit, seems okay - just wondered what othera have tried. I've also given the first gloss black coats to the inside of the body shell, ready for some polishing in prep for the aluminium coat.................. Nice to be back!! :)

real%20ex_zpsypef3eef.jpg

ex2_zpsekg5mr0u.jpg

ex1_zps1krujmin.jpg

ex3_zpsjvq6pijj.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Back again after about a year! I've found some time and decided to try and complete the Maserati. I've given myself 10 days to complete otherwise it will have to go back in the box. It's been a struggle after not doing any modelling for so long, but I'll see what I can do. The exhaust, binnacle, gearstick, spare wheel and headlights are just placed with blue tack just for the pics. The next job is to glue the top of the radiator to the body, so the engine sits correctly. The I'm going to so the doors, seats, etc. I'll post as I attempt each part. There are a couple of very small touch-ups to do on the body.. I used epoxy for the chassis and it went everywhere... Grrrrr :huh:

mas1_zpsxm21l99q.jpg

mas5_zpsmajg2vow.jpg

mas4_zps3yolkxsj.jpg

mas3_zpstxzelndr.jpg

mas2_zps1jtr8lqf.jpg

• Like 1

You've restored my faith in humanity! I don't know how you kept your eyes off it for a year.

I certainly know about life intrusions and the importance of other things. But this is truly a beautiful model that deserves to be completed. Glad you will do so.

Thanks Codger, I'll do my best. have you any ideas what glue to use to stick small PE items to the finished paintwork?

Hmmm... that's a tough one. No matter what method, adhesion will be a problem on a slick, painted surface. This is tough in 1/8 scale and crazy tough in 1/24.

The normal PE adhesive is CA but both surfaces need to be scuffed - near impossible in this case. A good method for plastic parts is drilling and pinning; ie: make a pin or stud to attach to a a side mirror, drill the body and then a dab of glue. However that is fraught with danger here.

I might try to make a metal pin from brass rod, epoxy or CA it to the PE then drill the body for mounting. I would test it first by using a scrap of PE to see if it holds, then get a scrap of the body material and try drilling it.

Any types of silicone adhesive would take an age to cure and it would be too hard to hold the part in position while that happens. So would epoxies and they're messy to apply in small amounts cleanly. All methods would require pin-point placement of adhesive and that's a sweaty proposition on finished work.

Discretion being the better part, I'd consider leaving off the smallest, most difficult bits and rejoice that I've got a beautifully painted model. There's already a wealth of detail in this build - it's no disgrace...Sorry but that's all I've got. Hopefully some advanced builders will jump in with better news.

That's alright, thanks for the advice. The only thing I could think of was using a tiny touch of Klear then some CA, even then it may still craze the paint. There are a couple of bonnet fastenings that would look really nice but as you say, I chances of screwing things up are high. I'll try it though on the radiator grill and take it from there.

• Like 1

Thanks Guys. Roy - The PE (the ones I'm concerned about anyway) will be 'on edge' I don't know if the acrylic varnish will hold it.

That means the surface would have to have been slotted before paint - a hugely scary task.

But you'll know for the next one........... :bangin:

Very good you are back. hang on, even if 11 days or 12 to finish, it is damned worth it.

Please don t rush yourself and make the wrong decisions, but you know that.

This babe can never go back in a box :yikes::shutup:

Edited by sharknose156

For attaching PE to bodies I use pva glue. Easy to wipe off the excess, dries clear and no chance of damaging the paintwork. The parts won't take much handling before they come off again, so best to add them at the very very end.

Stunning looking car, build and we'll just everything lol.

Ashley

Edited by MetroRacing

Thanks everyone. I've finished the engine bay now. The Battery and other bits and pieces are in and the doors are on. I'm going to do the door hinges tonight then concentrate on the lower half of the body. Including the wheels and exhaust then working up to the radiator grill. I'm waiting for some new X-Acto blades to turn up :)

masa1_zpsh0tukwv4.jpg

masa2_zpsxcuje3pw.jpg

Wheels! They're just stuck on with blutack but are finished and ready to go. I made a mistake with the 'oil'? tank in the back. It should have been higher, so I cut where it was glued in and am going to move it slightly upwards. Profil are kindly sending me new filler caps for the fuel tank because I lost both of mine.. duh! I'm going to attempt to the radiator grill next I may leave the tricky Maserati badge until last because it rests on the edge of the opening to the rad (check the photos of the real thing on page 1. After the rad I'm going to do the cockpit sub frame, gear stick, seats, binnacle and steering wheel :) I'm on track for my 10 day deadline (for now).

mass4_zpsimqbijlj.jpg

mass3_zps3vgtollj.jpg

mass2_zpskx24l2sl.jpg

mass5_zps4gciysat.jpg

mass1_zpsevyilxuv.jpg

• Like 1