Profil 24 1/24 Maserati 450S

PC2012

Just a small update, although I have done a fair amount, very slowly. Too much work so far this year, so not much time for modelling. I think I'm going to need Roy and Codgers help soon because the build is moving towards painting the body! I have nearly completed the wheels. I sprayed a light coat of clear matt to tone them down. I've finished painting the rear suspension and all the tanks. I cut the mounts for the engine and rad and re-did them. So I've done a fair bit. Most difficult build I've ever done... Anyway, I want to try and glue all together this weekend, I'll see how it goes. Here's the main fuel tank. I toned it down with klear and am going to weather it slightly... just some fuel staines and rain streaks.. hopefully I'll get more done soon.. Thanks for looking :)

T1_zpsk81tfpua.jpg

T2_zpscqbztceq.jpg

Thanks Roy and Mr C - Despite what you say. I'll think I'll need lots of help! I'm a bit disappointed with the overall finish of the parts painted so far but only because all the resin parts are so rough and it takes an age to get them looking anywhere near decent. This is my first and maybe my last all resin model. Saying that though, all I can do is try my best. Thanks chaps :)

Another small update. Just test fitting the tanks. The cap on the rear tank is just fixed on with blutack. I'm going to prep the floorpan and bulkhead. Got to drill a few holes for the pipes coming off the engine and make some pipes for the tanks. I'm going to do the wheels and tyres tonight.

Thanks for looking and thanks for all the help :)

Hope you like...

frame1_zpsjkjzlkbd.jpg

frame2_zpsrg4gvm6t.jpg

frame3_zpstjyyrrie.jpg

• Like 1

Very beautiful casting details augmented with your added scratched parts. Shame so much of this gets covered but I know what that's like. :banghead:

And I most admire your subtle wear and patina washes and stains. Really makes small parts pop. You have a talent for it. Please apply in your next build-a classic Pocher!

Man after my own heart...

Codger and Roy, you're bonkers, a Pocher! my wife would have a fit!... Anyway, I still have a MIG 17 to finish :) Thanks for the comments. To be honest, I just copy your builds. It's like having two experts on call 24/7... what more can you ask for? Looking at the pics, the two smaller tanks (don't know what they're for but can guess) need some detail highlighted, so will do that. I'm working on the wheels at the moment. will see how it goes..

Small update. I took some pictures of the wheels of my car and my wifes car. Her's was cleaned on Thursday, mine two weeks ago. I wanted to try and get a look inbetween the two. I sprayed the metal parts with clear matt acryilic to tone them down. I put the tyres on a drill and used a file to take off the shine, then added the decals and sprayed them with clear matt acryilic and one drop of grey. I still have to do the center (don't know what you call it - star bolt type thing) on the other three and then add some more weathering. I want them to look as if the car has had a few miles around the track. Thanks for looking... :)

My Car, dirty wheels two weeks... some country lane driving etc

we1_zpspba5xu3y.jpg

My wifes car - cleaned on Thursday. The walls of the tyres were polished...

we2_zps8eticipc.jpg

we3_zpswo3hc7lp.jpg

I haven't glued the tyres to the hubs and won't until they're complete...

we4_zpsuxgptkd0.jpg

• Like 1

That's called a 'three-eared' knockoff or spinner. Attaches wheels by tightening with hammer. No bolts.

Those wheels are stunning. If your body finish will be full 'concours', I'd keep the ally rims bright.

Your tire finish is very well done. An alternate idea I sometimes use is a darker sidewall (but lighter than unfinished tire) and a lighter tread contact area. Say a brown-black (Tammy makes a good one called 'Rubber' in small bottles) or Nato gray sidewall and a bit lighter gray tread area.Yields a look like your wife's tire.

Overall your work is very tasty....

EDIT: Since your tire sidewall is distressed a bit, don't forget to tone down the lettering too...

Edited by Codger

Thanks Codger I'll try that. I've still got the spare 'half cut tyre so I can run a few tests on that and see what it looks like. I agree whith you about toning down the lettering. I'm not going to do any more to the rims apart from gluing the 'knock off's' - thanks for that? I was going to sand a 'flat' on each tyre like you do on aircraft, what do you think?

HI,

I haven't done much this week, too busy at work. However I have been getting the floor pan ready and done a few experiments on the tyes with pastels. I've decided to prep all alclad parts with gloss black, even non- high shine paints. I figure it will give me more scope for shading etc. I've primed and sprayed the first wet coat on the pan, instrument panel and one of the seats. I'm going to polish the black, respray, polish and respray. I'll give it a few days to cure then I'll start. I'm going to do the pan white aluminium, don't know about the seats or the reat yet. I've also ordered some fine red leather for the seats and remade the gearstick.... more soon I hope..

p.s. I know the black gloss on the floorpan etc looks really rough, which is why I'm going to polish it the best I can :)

pan1_zpsmxtxiokz.jpg

Thank you Roy and Toms. Mostly a case of trial and error and looking at other peoples work. There's no way I could build stuff at your level Roy... maybe in 10 years :) I haven't finished the tyres yet....I've started to polish the parts (still have to do the top, where the gearstick goes, they look better, so I'll do another coat when I can and repolish. I want to cut through the paint in some areas because it will give some nice variation when I spray the Alclad. I'll also leave some of the imperfections in the surface of the resin for the same reason. Thanks again fhe comments.. :)

pan2_zpsisyg2puh.jpg

pan3_zpsbtmkjcyl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So - Floor pan is painted but I still need to weather it. Instrument panel done and steering wheel. I still don't know how to go about putting the leather on the seats so I suppose that's next. Roy (or anyone else who has some ideas) Do you know how to thin leather? Or maybe another way I could simulate leather if that is not possible? Again - thanks for looking and for any help everyone :)

base1_zpslcgzhwbp.jpg

base4_zpslj5zf0pz.jpg

base3_zpsqidabkrf.jpg

base2_zps028d4vsq.jpg

Do you know how to thin leather? Or maybe another way I could simulate leather if that is not possible? Again - thanks for looking and for any help everyone :)

Actually in this scale, leather may be too difficult or out of scale.

Possibly check into automotive fabric sprays. Good ones are made by Duplicolor, SEM and others. They have a very nice leather-like sheen. Test your color choice on primed plastic spoons before the model parts.

Edited by Codger

Are you just after black leather?

I have some grey and some blue - very thin, as used on my and Mr C's Pochers, but as Mr C says, it MIGHT still be too thick..

PM me an address and I'll send you some bits.

You could actually cover the blue with a black permanent marker if that's your preference.

Might be worth a shot?

Roy.

Hi Roy - No thats fine mate, I have loads of leather. I'm going to use red. I have a spare seat, so will try any experimentation on that. I still may end up painting them, I'll have to see how it turns out using the leather. Thanks anyway :)

What you might try is skiving or thinning the leather so it's more in scale and hence, more flexible to snuggle down into creases or pleats. Start with leather from a ladies glove which is usually quite thin. You can separate the tanned side you see from the flesh side you do not see. Takes a bit of work though.