Profil 24 1/24 Maserati 450S

PC2012

Thanks for all your nice comments everyone. The kit doesn't seem too detailed (compared to aires stuff etc, for aircraft) and are full of flash or worse - so that it seems every part needs careful cutting and sanding. So this is going to be hard work for me. The body and PE parts though are beautiful. I messed up a couple of the carburetors and contacted Profil to ask if I could pay for some new ones and they sent me 5 free of charge! I scratch built the fuel lines to the carbs and the HT leads. I'm busy rebuilding the front shocks at the moment. You can see from the picture they don't look good. So I got some detail parts to remake them, hopefully they'll look a bit better. Also the instuctions aren't very clear and leave a lot to the imagination... oh well, I'll do my best. Glad you liked the engine.. only took me two months!! :)

eb5_zpsdb873b3c.jpg

• Like 2

Yes those shocks do look pretty bad, but you've got some nice bits there so the new ones should look great. As an ex 1/72 aircraft modeler myself I understand what you mean about the drop in finesse of the detailing, but in some ways it is quite liberating to build something simpler, although you are obviously going the extra mile with this build. :goodjob:

I usually build aircraft - this is my first ever car. Massive new build for me. Lots of scratch build which I am not used to. This is where I am so far. Hope you like it. Any questions please ask...

eb4_zps8ab80055.jpg

eb3_zps06d5d4d3.jpg

Wow. :analintruder:

• Like 1

Thank you very much for all the comments :) Nearly got the shocks done now. I have posted a pic of the instructions, as you can see they are very ambiguous. There seem to be no mounting point for the shocks and I can't find many reference pics for this car, so I'll have to guess and maybe make some mounts!

sh1_zpsfd897bf1.jpg

sh2_zpsba711cad.jpg

Some help for the shocks: the upper eyelets of the coilover should be through bolted to a triangular tab bracket on the chassis.That would be through the upper A-arm, possibly an 'X' member on the chassis.

The lower eyelet should be centered on a double-shear bracket in the lower control arm-just inboard of the balljoint.

Here is my 1:1 Cobra's suspension:.

P5150021Small_zps82e565c9.jpg

P5150019Small_zpsc57d99f7.jpg

Thank you codger, that's really helpful. I'll have to make the brackets and pins to hold them. The whole molding of the structure for the front suspension is awful there are resin 'growths' where the molding has disappreared, so I've practically had to re-carve them, they still need some work but will try and get them done and post this weekend. BTW - you have a real Cobra?.. cool! :)

Thank you codger, that's really helpful. I'll have to make the brackets and pins to hold them. The whole molding of the structure for the front suspension is awful there are resin 'growths' where the molding has disappreared, so I've practically had to re-carve them, they still need some work but will try and get them done and post this weekend. BTW - you have a real Cobra?.. cool! :)

Glad to help. Ask more if you need.

I might consider hacking the poor resin shapes out and scratch some tubular structure-which I'm sure it was. As on my Rolls build, even if not exact to the prototype, a functional assembly that makes good mechanical sense is a fine substitute, in my view. You have beautiful parts and do great work so that would do it more justice I think.

My Cobra is an ERA replica which as 'real' as I could get it. Built and rebuilt 3 times over three decades. 550 HP, 11 second 1/4 miles and totally obnoxious.

P9100004cSmall_zpsc5162fa3.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice engine build and washes. The cylinder head design makes it loook like 2 V8 in one engine.

Ah resin model, lots lots of resin dust. I like the filing and sanding and hate to clean the table afterwards. The dust sticks everywhere.

Cheers,

Rishikesh

Thank you very much for all the comments. I've had a few problems with the shocks and managed to snap an arm off. Actually it was a good thing because now I've worked out how to make them fit :) Codger, I'm not going to rebulid the structure, you say it so easily but I've seen your work and there's no way I can match your skill. BTW your cobra is gorgeous (and your models).. So I'll do the best I can. It will probably be hidden under the bodywork so I'll live with it. Anyway, if anyone would give their thoughts to the following it would be much appreciated. I have several pics of the 450S which show slightly different colors. If you look below, two of the pics show a darker shade of red and two a lighter shade of red. Which do you think would be the most appropriate colour for a 1957 car? I tend to go for the darker red..... Would you give me your opinion? Thanks...

One last thing. I just wondered if anyone had heard a 450S start up.... check this out. It honestly sent shivers down my spine.... :shutup:

Maserati_450S_Prototype_left_Enzo_Ferrar

maserati_450s_0101_zpsc1067671.jpg

Maserati_450S_Prototype_rear-right_Enzo_

maserati_450s_005_zps0086f075.jpg

Definitely the deeper red! If you put roundels on it I would make them an off-white, NOT a bright white. That helps with vintage appearance. Either Wimbledon White (my stripe colour) or Tamiya makes a 'Racing White' lacquer which I used on my GT-40.

Only small valves, Webers and a lot of cam gives you response like that. Wonderful noise-thanks for sharing.

My car makes more noise but is as raggedy at idle. With 7 liters, I'm all done at 6800 but these Masers are well over 7000 with flat cranks and the smaller displacement. Lovely engines.

Go right ahead as you wish on your inner structure. Especially unseen structure. Save the time and keep the detail level you've attained. And your skill level leaves nothing to be desired.

Thank you for the kind compliments on the car and Rolls. I'm following you on this Maser because you will have a spectacular build, judging by the start.

:thumbsup:

Definitely the deeper red! If you put roundels on it I would make them an off-white, NOT a bright white. That helps with vintage appearance. Either Wimbledon White (my stripe colour) or Tamiya makes a 'Racing White' lacquer which I used on my GT-40.

Only small valves, Webers and a lot of cam gives you response like that. Wonderful noise-thanks for sharing.

My car makes more noise but is as raggedy at idle. With 7 liters, I'm all done at 6800 but these Masers are well over 7000 with flat cranks and the smaller displacement. Lovely engines.

Go right ahead as you wish on your inner structure. Especially unseen structure. Save the time and keep the detail level you've attained. And your skill level leaves nothing to be desired.

Thank you for the kind compliments on the car and Rolls. I'm following you on this Maser because you will have a spectacular build, judging by the start.

:thumbsup:

Following me? Great, no pressure then.. :)lol Seriously thanks for all your help. Funny you mentioning your GT-40 because i was looking for the WIP the other day and couldn't find the link. Do you have it? Thanks both of you for your comments I totally agree about the colour. Below you can see the state of the part that holds the shocks. Took me hours to clean up and I had to replace the pins as the originals looked like quatermass had, had a go at them. Anyway, still haven't finished but they look a little better. I may get a bit of primer on, so I can see what I need to do to complete them. Onwards and upwards... :)

fr1_zps1c9a8faa.jpg

fr2_zps964ce15a.jpg

fr3_zpsa73273a1.jpg

Nice work on the suspension. That's fine for a concealed part.

Funny, I can't find my Gt-40 thread here either. I have the link here from my original WIP on a US site. All the photos are down however since it was built in 2010. But the text is intact if that's any value to you:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34339&hl=%2Btrumpeter+%2B112+%2Bgt-40

It's my usual sweaty, scruffy raced condition done as a modern day track-rat. Here's a look if it helps you:

GSmall_zpse905c549.jpg

NSmall_zpsbcd22d67.jpg

LSmall_zps4b1d1e9f.jpg

• Like 1