Profil 24 1/24 Maserati 450S

PC2012

Lovely model, looking fantastic.

Don't be disheartened - I just put a CA glue finger print on one of the side blue panels on my BT52b, then totally cocked up trying to get it off - I'm too ashamed to even mention it on my WIP, let alone show it! lol

I'm going to have to try and locally respray it, as I have already decalled nearby.....so annoying!

Hi Caterhamnut, thanks for that. I have been following your build. Beautiful car! I hope your fix goes well, your paint job is fantastic. Well I managed to sort my headlight surround out. I tried doing what Codger suggested but couldn't get it to look right, you could see the plasticard as it stood proud of the surround. I think it would have worked on a larger scale. So I took a chance, masked the area respayed it. I was very lucky and it turned out fine the first go... phew! Now I'm in the process of cutting and prepping the windscreen. It doesn't look that great at the moment but I bought some 'Gauzy agent' (see previous post) and am going to try that. Here's how it looks at the moment. Thanks for all the help everybody :)

winds1_zpsztop78jq.jpg

winds2_zps3dmxhrd4.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty boring stuff this light lens malarkey . I’ve every possible variation of dipping techniques including brushing the solution on. I’ve also tried using Klear, Gauzy agent and intermediate Gauzy agent and this is the best I can get it to look unless I want to carry on ad infinitum. The windscreen is worse and I’m a bit stuck. I understand the windscreen has to be thin to be in scale, but this is thin, bendy and made of soft plastic. So if anyone has any ideas please feel free. I’m so close to completing. I just want it done and dusted now….

light1_zpss2kbl3uv.jpg

I just need my windscreen! :(

light3_zpshlcwicve.jpg

• Like 1

Go Barchetta! No windscreen!

Or Brooklands, like our 7..

Its looking fantastic though.

I have often wondered what shapes could be cut out of various plastic water bottles - selecting curve carefully, there must be an infinite number of different windscreen, and head light covers hidden on them somewhere....

The kind of plastic you find certain items vac-packed in - cheapo headphones and adaptors for example.

They are always in the kind of pack you can never get into!

The flat sheet of plastic on the back of such a pack will be big enough, and just the right thickness/rigidity/flexibility.

Use your existing screen as a template.

Roy.

Also, good office supplies shops have many types of perfectly transparent sheets in A4 sizes and different thicknesses, even colors used to cover documents.

Why not consider this? i used it for model airplanes and RC to great results ( great for me that is :mellow:)

Your fantastic paint job and realism of the Borani wheels make the difference for this incredible result and car

Edited by sharknose156

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, I've been busy lately running an amazing project to send an Action man into near Space, so not much time for modelling. I did some this weekend though. I used Roy's idea and mounted the Maserati badge using a tiny piece of clear plastic. You can see it from the side though (see below) so I may just touch it up with some matt black. I'm waiting for a new windscreen to arrive and then hopefully can finish this beast. I did try to make my own using various techniques, none of which turned out well!! :)

badge1_zpscbzkq8vg.jpg

badge2_zpsvogrkwia.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Great to see a nice model of a kit in the only real medium: there's too much plastic on this forum! :);) 

I'd suggest a quick bit of plunge moulding/vac-forming for the screen. I use Milliput as a starting point (you can use existing screen or the car itself to make the mould), then when it's cured, I file it to the final 'straight' shape and then start with 240-grade wet 'n' dry and get down to the finest Micromesh for a mirror finish. Acetate sheet from any bubble pack will do and if you dip the finished, trimmed screen in Kristal Kleer you'll get the clearest, shiniest screen you could ever dream of!

I've used this method for double-curvature screens, headlight covers and even engine cowlings etc. I think your screen should be pretty straightforward because it's a single-curvature piece.

Go on - I would love to see this finished!

8 hours ago, PC2012 said:

Sorry to ask the most basic of questions. How do you bend acetate sheet? Do happen to have an example? Thank you for your input, it's very much appreciated.

I heat it over a gas ring on our cooker top: gloves are helpful. Heat is a must and the bigger the sheet the better: more heat in a larger area gives you more chance of getting the whole thing to drape. 

Hurray I've finally got my windscreen. Now I need to not mess this up. Its  the last one in stock and the Maserati has been discontinued! any suggestions will be taken into consideration.  I don't want to tell you what I've tried so far because I want you to have a free hand - so to speak! Here's  what I have at the moment......

wi1_zpsovfn0y1z.jpg

wi2_zps374nzk0n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest on the windscreen I haven't glued it yet, does everyone thinks it looks okay? Or does anyone thinks it needs more work? I've also cut out the side screens and the headlight cover. Pictures speak louder than words! Sorry about the dust.....

wind1_zpsmlxnihmy.jpg

wind2_zps38hizsav.jpg

wind6_zpsndmizinm.jpg

wind3_zpslxxlbybd.jpg  

wind5_zps9lysvtrg.jpg

wind4_zpsepan8m3n.jpg

• Like 2

Waited a long time for this - not your fault however PC.

I would:

If still removable, wash it, dry it, dust it with wife's new make-up brush. Then dip it in Future, let wick off on damp paper towel (for no more dust) let dry a day and install wearing surgical gloves.

I'd leave off the side windows - the car's lines are spectacular without them.

If the 1:1 had it, I'd trim the 'screen flange with a Molotow pen to have the polished ally look.

Don't mind me - can make mountains out of molehills...:nono:

• Like 1

Hi PC,

Beautiful model!

To answer your question about the windscreen, it looks as if the top edge needs a little smoothing down. It may just be the photo but there appears to be a small step at each end, just before the screen starts to curve back.

Just a couple of minutes work with a bit of abrasive paper.

Codger's tip about Future should really improve the appearance too. 

Dave

Cheers Harvey. Dave yes I agree the edge does need smoothing down. Codger, I dipped the last 6 in future if you remember. I can do the side windows without putting them on the model and decide then. I can dip the headlight covers in future I have enough of those. The problem is with the windscreen, I have to handle it somehow. It may sound odd but I can't work out a way to handle it? And however I touch it, the future seems to pool on that side. Perhaps you can suggest a way?

• Like 1

PC !! i have been missing this car... even forgot it was YOU behind this beauty...

great work, superb...

if i may, firstly, i second Codger on the windshield and would perhaps file it a bit on the edges of the top and sides as Fastcat said ( since you asked ) 

if you have problems with the full windscreen, place a windbreaker on the driver s side.

During races - when men were men - windshields used to change according to circuits and even drivers.

You can fool me it is a 1:24 !   we are back in 2016

With future/clear, my best tip is : get some quite wet kitchen paper and lay it out. Then, instead of brushing on, or dipping, just hold as briefly as possible at the edges and pour the stuff on. That way, it naturally runs off, then just drop on wet paper. That then wicks-up any excess.

I usually hold on fingertips, then just slide off onto paper...minimal handling

Edited by harveyb258
Forgot summat!