Sanger Bristol Bombay RAAF AAU

Completed this Sanger Bristol Bombay a few Months ag and got around to some photos this weekend. It's my first vacform and last for a while until my stress levels come down. Not sure of the percentage of filler compared to plastic but it's quite high!

The model represents a Bombay in use in 1942 as an Air Ambulance in North Africa and Sicily, based on photographic evidence and research, I am grateful to all those on the Key Publishing Historic Aircraft Forum that contributed to my plea for information.

Like all vacforms the kit is basic so most of the details are sratchbuilt additions, as is the interior and all the landing gear, struts etc.

All comments welcome.

IMG_2678_zps34ac73ed.jpgIMG_2686_zpsf498685f.jpgIMG_2695_zpsee9aa792.jpgbristoltype130bombay_zpsed435e31.jpgIMG_2701_zpsf880ca33.jpgBristol20Type20B_II20turret_zpsf478d9b9.IMG_2710_zpsba9625a6.jpgbombay1_zpsc81cfe71.jpgIMG_2679_zpsd171836e.jpg

• Like 27

I have the Sanger HP Harrow, and frankly think it absolutely awful, so I have some limited understanding of what you've been through. It must be said that most vacforms are considerably better than the Contrail/Sanger productions, but nobody else did a Bombay.

That's an interesting photo showing what appears to be a couple of Austin K2 ambulances (as in the Airfix kit), as it was recently said on this board that the RAF didn't operate such. The same body was used on other chassis, but they look like Austin fronts. Maybe the RAF didn't operate them in the UK... or perhaps there was just less demarcation on the front line.

That really is a beaut and you`ve done it in the scheme which I`ve chosen for my Valom Bombay when it is released! Lovely scheme isn`t it? The fuselage red cross marking on some of them had working for the Australian Air Ambulance Unit along the inside of the white circle.

You are a very brave person and my had goes off to you for a fantastic model,

Cheers

Tony

Smashing result from a very difficult collection of parts.

I've been hanging on and hanging on for the Valom kit. I'm begining to wonder if I will shuffle off this mortal coil before it ever appears.

I have been tempted by the Sanger Bombay but your experience seems to justify my decision of NOT acquiring said product.

Come on Valom - you've been keeping is Bombay (and Harrow) fans waiting way too long.

Sorry, but this is an over-stated myth. Many vac forms need little if any more skill than injected plastic kits. Yes, you do have to cut out the parts from the backing sheet, and spend a bit if time cleaning up joins, but the latter skill is required by many an injected kit! The suggestion that much greater skills (such as what?) are required come from those who haven't tried - or perhaps those who have tried one of the bad ones. Such as Contrail/Sanger - but even then what it takes is not extra skills but hard work applying the standard ones and a generous supply of patience.

And if you do have to stretch yourself a bit, is this necessarily a bad thing? There's nothing to be learned from a vacform that can't be applied to standard kits.

Edited by Graham Boak

Graham, I agree with you it's more about patience than skill, oh and a good supply of filler. As this is my first it took ages, about 6 months although that's partly down to available time. The most annoying parts of this kit is the need to cut a recess in the one price wings so they sit like a saddle over the fuselage. Lots of trial and plenty of error! The supplied landing gear was also useless, mainly because there was only one set on the sheets. I will do more vacs in time, I have a Classic Planes Bristol Racer in the drawer, now that is an ugly plane!

I'll post a few progress shots of the Bombay when I get a chance.

Thanks for all the supportive comments.

Great to see a rare Bristol type built. Excellent.

Very nice. You have done a great job on that old vacform. Quite a challenge for your first one I would think.

Great pictures of the original subject, and it stands up very well next to them. You can't ask for more than that.

A type that I need to complete my Shorts collection (built by them under contract)

Although I'm not brave enough to tackle the Contrail kit !

Great to see one built :goodjob: