Focke Wulf 190

coolhand

Hi.

I have decided I would like to add a 1/48 FW 190 to my collection, however I have noticed that many of the kits available seem to have mottle schemes and because I do not own an airbrush these would be difficult to replicate well. I was therefore wondering if anyone could recommend a kit of this aircraft, especially if it comes with a non mottle scheme? I would also be interested in any kit/aftermarket decal suggestions. I would like to do a German aircraft.

Many thanks

Andy

You could look at some of the jg54 aircraft a lot of their schemes up till about 1943 could be done without mottle some in just a pure green temperate scheme or even white distemper. The Eduard a6 profipak has a white scheme and there is (if you can get it) a hasegawa a4 spring scheme with a white rlm 70/71/76 splinter scheme if I get time later I'll upload a picture of my a4 in this scheme (I did airbrush this) the problem is getting hold of the hasegawa a4 and a3 now hannants used to have the a3 for a tenner but I suspect they are gone. (You can build an early a4 out of the box) the Eduard kit of the a5 also has some schemes that could be brush painted if you can have the patience to build it.

You could have a look at the new Eduard Fw190 Nachtjager boxing - the second scheme has no mottle and would be a fine model on the shelf. The Eduard kit benefits from having the decals, canopy mask and PE in the kit already.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Plastic-kits/Profipack/Aircraft/1-48/Fw-190A-Nightfighter-1-48.html

As Dazdot has mentioned, if you can find a cheap Hasegawa A-3, you can make an early A-4 (the tail fin antenna spike is in the box) with the early un-louvered gills, or get an A-5 (I think Alpha Delta 210 has one for +-£22?) and you can do a dark and un-mottled JG54 green scheme. I have some surplus JG54 decals if you need some.

• Like 1

'White 7' has very little mottle, just a bit on the tail. Should be achievable with a sponge 'dabber'.

http://www.eduard.com/store/Eduard/Plastic-kits/Fw-190A-9-1-48.html?cur=1

That's the one I was thinking about as that's the on I'm doing (when I get round to it!). I remembered it had little or no mottle.

thanks

Mike

Just a further point, in my 1/72 Fw190 collection, I've done a Fw190A-4 that is a single colour green (RLM 71 I think), this is a Grunherz 190 and as someone mentioned, they were often in non standard camouflage, without mottle. I've also done an A-8 flown by Buhligen (hopefully I've spelt it right!) that has no mottle. It's a solid camouflage pattern, similar to the what the RAF did but with different colours. I think I used RLM 02/75 but there is doubt about the exact colours of that one, so you could go with a different combination of RLM colours. Also like the A-9 I mentioned, you can get things like F-8's and 9's in similar schemes with little or no mottle on the tail only.

Try looking at the Wings Pallate website, there's plenty of ideas on there.

Edited by Mikemx

There are a number of late war all RLM 76 schemes for A,F & G8 series airframes which would make for a good build.

I notice that Airfix actually use one of these in their new 1/72 scale boxing, so would expect there to be a 1/48 AM decal set out there.

Karl

This is an option I've been thinking about buying.

Airwaves 1/48 Luftwaffe Fighter MOTTLE CAMOUFLAGE MASK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131293682898?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

You could probably lay it along the side of the model and spray in one go, or mask out and spray individual blotches with rattle can.

Edited by Thom216

Hi,

Thanks for the replies and info. You have given lots of food for thought. To be honest I'm leaning towards an Eduard kit, because of all the extras,how do they build, anything to look out for?

Cheers

Andy

When finished eduard kits look lovely but at a cost of swearing and head scratching so far I've built two and have just bought another. Because I've been pleased with the finish but I have this feeling that I could have done that little bit better each time. I would say take your time Test fit everything and on opening the box don't panic! There will be a bewildering amount of bits. They have some unique features, a full engine detailed gun bays and an open and closed canopy. Out of the box they are designed to be built with everything on show with a few mods needed to close things up. If you can persevere with all this Then you will be rewarded With probably the best 190 in the scale available.

Another possibility I've heard of is using blue tack. The first color down is the color of the mottle, with small pieces of blue tack placed over that in the mottle pattern, followed by the main color. It means painting 'backwards,' but that's another option.

• Like 1

I haven't built the Eduard 190, but have built a couple of the Tamiya 190's which shouldn't be dismissed if you are looking for a pain free build.

One thing yo do need to do with the Tamiya kit is replace the wheels as they are undersized, but there are plenty of AM options out there.

Karl

I have considered the Tamiya kit, they do build really well. However I also like all the bits you get with the Eduard kit,particularly the paint masks as that's one job I really hate.

Hi.

I have decided I would like to add a 1/48 FW 190 to my collection, however I have noticed that many of the kits available seem to have mottle schemes and because I do not own an airbrush these would be difficult to replicate well. I was therefore wondering if anyone could recommend a kit of this aircraft, especially if it comes with a non mottle scheme? I would also be interested in any kit/aftermarket decal suggestions. I would like to do a German aircraft.

Many thanks

Andy

You could try replicating some mottled effects on a scrap kit as well

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=460&t=9044

cut down brushes, bits of sponge, cotton buds are all metioned.

note this in the above - http://hsfeatures.com/features04/bv155am_2.htm

chap using pastel powder.

worth experimenting at least.

Also, note http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970493-airbrush-at-a-ridiculous-price/

Don'y know if there any more at that price now....but note the work Chris Rope did with a cheap airbrush.

For an easy Fw190 in 1/48th Tamiya seem to be the way to go.

The Hasegawa kits are rated as being overall the most accurate in the scale for the A models IIRC, but usually are not cheap.

From many reviews and write ups, the Eduard A series are over engineered, if you make a small error in alignment early on, it can throw the entire model out of true, and the DML/Dragon/Revell A-8 kit needs care in basic construction.

One kit you may find cheap is the Otaki, then reboxed by Arri/Matchbox/Airfix Fw190A8. Old, basic, but well shaped and engraved panel lines.

Google up some review for more, or have a look through the builds here

http://modelingmadness.com/kitindex/kitindexf2.htm

There are build reviews of all the above.

HTH

T

Hi Troy,

Thanks for all the info. Think the next thing I need to do is grab a couple of scrap kits and some of these methods a go. The reason I don't airbrush is that I don't have anywhere to use it, certainly not at this time of year. Also for some reason I seem to enjoy brush painting.

Cheers