AModel DH Comet 4B

26Decals

There were four Channel Comets

Three in basic Olympic, one in basic BEA.

The reason no Channel livery pics have come to light is simply the fact that there were none.

Channel was almost bankrupt, had a Trident cannibalised to keep the other flying as RR were holding the engines against debt. The Comets were a desperate attempt to keep going with existing commitments.

There was no money and no time for paint.

Sorry Marty, memory can play tricks. I can assure you the livery was never worn.

• Like 1

People can mock all the like, I know what I saw and flew on, Garry I can assure you it did. Can you prove with beyond reasonable doubt I'm not right? We all know the Colossus of Rhodes existed but there are no photographs. Let's have some rational open minded conversations.

Marty...

:shrug:

hee hee, the Airfix one is 50+ years old

50+ or not it's still a pretty decent kit and it will be good to have it back. It needs a bit of work, particularly around the engine intakes, but the outline accuracy isn't too bad and it's easily convertible to other marks.

It will be interesting to see how much, if at all, the Amodels kit is "influenced" by the Airfix one as you kind of hinted at post 8 in this thread. :winkgrin:

Edited by Skodadriver

The World is full of smart bottoms.

Marty...

Just to make you not feel alone, I have a vague memory of seeing the Comet in Channel colours but alas I have no pcis. It was at Gatwick one easter weekend but don't even recall the year. Then again it might have been a Viscount. I clearly recall seein a gold coloured fin in between a couple other aeroplanes. But thats about it. Maybe because the fins are similar.

Nice pics. But the main parts break down is reminiscent of the Airfix kit. e.g. wings and fuselage. Fin and tailplane done separately and surface detail is a bit different. But very nice resin jet pipes though!!

They need to correct that BEA titling and the credit panel looks too large.

You're right Gary the BEA takes up too much red square (should be a third of the square in height)

Edited by bzn20

It seems a pointless exercise to me at least, to compare this new kit to the old Airfix kit.

With better detail and engraved panel lines this one is already a winner as far as I'm concerned and I'm certainly looking forward to getting one.

All the best.

Chris.

Unless they replace that entire wing sprue getting a -4C out of it will be just as much challenge as the Airfix kit gives.

Maybe the Two Six Decals conversion will fit this as well as the Airfix?

Vlamgat9, see below for salient info on the resin pinion tank conversion kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234950851-comet-4-to-4b-wing-length-change-question/

Shots of the Amodel Comet 4B show a kit much superior to the 55-year-old Airfix one. Hardly surprising, really. The makeup of parts lends itself to a revamped wing with extra span and pinion tanks in the future. Why Airfix never got around to doing this is beyond me...

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/fb3882ca4c2d/IMG_3677.JPG

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/44bb9cb760dd/IMG_3676.JPG