Frog DHC Beaver, finished after probably decades...

viscount806x

I acquired this part built ancient Frog kit a while back and thought it might be nice to build it. Frog have a nice blue scheme and decals to match but does anyone know the approx shade? Is the plastic close do you think?

I have found a colour shot from 1952 but the a/c is in a later scheme unfortunately. Can any kind soul shed a bit more light please?

DHC001_zpsee303ceb.jpg

ALOWbox_zps20e48ac0.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Nige B

• Like 2

I don't think it was ever Blue. G-ALOW was silver with Maroon trim certainly in 1949 on delivery to Chester.

John

Thanks John. That complicates it though because the Charles E. Brown colour plate I have in my references has that very scheme but the cheat line and lettering is also maroon - the registration letters being further complicated by being maroon with a black surround. Beyond me that.

Thinks: I wonder if the blue scheme (assuming it existed) came later, the Frog kit was late '50s wasn't it?

Nige B

Lima Oscar Whiskey went to Southern Rhodesia in Nov 1952 as VP-YKA, so I again I don't think the Blue scheme ever existed.

John

Might have to be a '1960s schoolboy build' then. Out of the box, using the Frog decals and suggested colours...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well I got it finished this week. In the end, because of my lack of decal making skills, I had to use the white-with-black outline lettering with the kit parts and the somewhat dubious suggested colour scheme. It was enjoyable nevertheless, lacking the stresses associated with maintaining accuracy and I was taken right back to the 1960s because of all that.

ALOWbox_zps20e48ac0.jpg

The model was part built as in the picture when I bought it a few years back, by whom and when I do not know. The building had been not bad but the windows were in precariously so I disassembled as much as poss and made good whatever I could. I replaced the struts with some Contrail aerofoil sections which improved things no end.

DHC001_zpsee303ceb.jpg

Painting was achieved by airbrushing some 30+ year old (unopened) Gloy RLM65 Hellblau thinned with turpentine. After drying for a week or two I 'Kleared' it and got the decals ready. They were rather yellowed and had International Model Aircraft Ltd. printed on the back which makes them pre 1963, when Frog moved production to Margate. The kit itself was in production from 1958 to 1963 (I think). Scale is somewhat smaller than 1/72, recorded as 1/82 in a couple of references.

I subjected the decal sheet to as much winter sun as poss and they did lose most but not all the yellowing. I gave the display stand its name decal first to get an idea of how useable they would be. I needn't have worried, they went on beautifully with just a bit of MicroSol to help. And there it was, pure nostalgia!

Maybe I might build that Shorts Sealand soon.

beaver004_zps61ecc801.jpg

beaver003_zpsf1972b65.jpg

beaver002_zps8406611d.jpg

beaver005_zpsd0c16552.jpg

• Like 2

Love it! Even if its not 1/72nd. Very nice restoration.

If I'm not mistaken, the real size G-ALOW was converted to an Alvis Leonides engine and also had a modified fin/rudder.

Love it! Even if its not 1/72nd. Very nice restoration.

If I'm not mistaken, the real size G-ALOW was converted to an Alvis Leonides engine and also had a modified fin/rudder.

Hi Paul,

I thought that G-ANAR was the prototype Mk11 Beaver, with the Leonides, square rudder and increased span? The odd thing is that this very same aircraft had a Pezetel engine conversion sometime later.

Very impressed to see a completed Frog Beaver, which looks superb. I have one in my stash that I will build, when my skills are such that I could take on such a rare kit.

And, until then, I've got over 30 Airfix Beavers to practise on.

Regards

Reggie

Hi Paul,

I thought that G-ANAR was the prototype Mk11 Beaver, with the Leonides, square rudder and increased span? The odd thing is that this very same aircraft had a Pezetel engine conversion sometime later.

Very impressed to see a completed Frog Beaver, which looks superb. I have one in my stash that I will build, when my skills are such that I could take on such a rare kit.

Regards

Reggie

Cheers Reggie,

A Pretzel engine eh? Wonder if any other a/c had a biscuit-based engine?

Seriously though, thanks for the kind words. I know what you mean by having the guts to take on a rare kit but this was part built anyway. It is quite a nice kit for it's day though, restrained detailing (scribed too), bare interior but you can't see anyway so why not. Have a go, you will enjoy seeing it sitting on your shelf. I have a Shorts Sealand which is even rarer but I might just do that soon.

Nige

• Like 1

Hi Paul,

Regards

Reggie

Ah yes. You're right Reggie. My mistake as I had forgotten the 'reggie'( :winkgrin::whistle: ) of that one. I know its not the best of kits but I might go and build one of my Hobbycraft kits soon. It has Airfix lineage in it with regard to the engine and a few other bits.

• Like 1

Or Ski's!

If you find any parts are missing from your Airfix Beaver kit then let me know, as I've got loads of bit boxes of them!

Regards

Reggie

Or, or, ahh, running out of options.

Have we covered amphib?

Rick.

• Like 1