And they're off - 48th scale 110

It is about time I got going on this group build as my excuses of wrong paint, other stuff to complete etc have been sorted by the recent acquisitions thanks to Telford. So I will be attempting to batter this into submission. I got this kit early in the year at the Bolton show, so I want to finish this and put it on the table at the next one.

P1080740_zpsb0f7af32.jpg

As you can see, this kit has a bit of an identity crisis as it appears to be a Dragon/Cyber Hobby/Wing Tech boxing! This is also the special edition which came with extra sprues to allow the engines to be shown. Additionally, inside the box were these little goodies.

P1080743_zps77b8e0cc.jpg

A little bit of etch, and an extra decal sheet for an Iraqi machine

P1080741_zpsfcabbf8b.jpg

A normal set of decals.

P1080742_zps2c3e4c36.jpg

And enough plastic to upset an environmentalist.

P1080744_zps6752011e.jpg

P1080745_zpsd27382b5.jpg

With this little lot to keep me occupied I will be doing this "out of the box" though I don't know how that counts with all the extra resin bits put in the box by the purveyor. Starting point will be this weekend and pictures will be posted as and when. I must say the canopy looks like it will be a masking nightmare, but I am comforted by the knowledge that this is a cross we will all have to bear in this case.

Tally Ho Chaps!

Wow, what a goldmine that is!! I've got the same kit to build at some point (bought it 3 years ago at Telford), but "just" OOB is enough of a challenge with the engines as extras etc. Crack on, can't wait to see progress!! :)

Max

I built the Eduard one too Andy and didn't like it very much either despite my love of Bf110s. There was a lot wrong with it and quite a lot missing, but both the Revell/Monogram kit for all its antiquity and the Dragon kit are different beasts altogether, so don't wait till next year - dig it out and join us!! :)

Max

• Like 1

Hoping to make a start this weekend. I think for variety, I will start with the engines and then I can decide whether I want to show them off or not.

Good idea, I love detailing engines, spent ages on a Gipsy Major for my Tiger Moth.

Max

Good choice, I've made a start on the very same kit and glad to say I'm enjoying it so far! Re your masking comments, I've invested in a set of Montex pre cut masks, never tried them before but they come with pieces for both inside and outside, for less money than the Eduard masks.

Jon

Well I finally made a start this weekend. As intended, I decided to start with the engines first, rather than dive straight in with the cockpit. A quick look at the sprue (two of these mind), shows them to be remarkably detailed kits in their own right. Can you believe that there are around 25 parts to each engine!

utf-8QP1080746_zps74ad78cb.jpg

So, rather than a quick little start, this is as far as I got over the weekend.

utf-8QP1080750_zps991eb710.jpg

And again a little further.

utf-8QP1080751_zps2206dc47.jpg

This is taxing my limited resources for paint stock and is a bit of an exercise in trying to use as many different blacks as possible to add variation.

utf-8QP1080755_zpsae4e772a.jpg

I will keep on going and intend to bed these down before the end of the week.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It is about time I cracked on with this. I must admit my mojo decided to up sticks and bu££er off at just the wrong time, but the slippery fiend has decided to sneak back into my brain so I have had a bit of quality time in the den this week. As you recall, I had managed to stick a few bits together to make a start on the engines, and the story kind of petered out. A lot of this was me getting an infection in my inner ear which had the knock on effect that I could stand straight (no it wasn't the :drink: ) and I also lost sight in my right eye and (obviously) my hearing, though I made the most of that with SWMBO :whistle: .

So- I have spent a good deal of time catching up so that I can have some progress to post. The engines have now been finished. I must say that the Dragon instructions are a bit vague to say the least, and I would have done things slightly differently if I had my wits about me.

P1080757_zps615f9006.jpg

This used a whole variety of blacks to create the effect I wanted. Originally I thought of weathering, but looking at period photos they looked to be very tidy units unless shot up.

Next up, I moved to the office. This is a mass of parts (about 50 or so) and I had my doubts that I could pull it off. This also was a fairly hefty introduction to etch metal, and I must say the Eduard etch went together a dream. The fact it was pre painted and also self adhesive worked well in my favour.

P1080777_zps25fb9bd8.jpg

Here you can see how well the seatbelts and rudder pedals look, the pedals are single folded units each, but the belts are between four and five parts each. The radio pack was put together using the etch, as I did not feel happy trying to paint the resin ones in the kit.

P1080778_zps593dba29.jpg

They look better in the flesh, as you can't see the cock eyed one without a zoom.

utf-8QP1080760_zps2fadb856.jpg

The IP is a masterpiece, and there is no way I could have done this with a hairy stick.

P1080781_zps8bf3509c.jpg

Moving swiftly on, I managed to knock together the gun pack for the undertray. I suspect that the air bottles are not the correct colour, but I don't care, I like 'em.

The instructions would have you fit the radio operators seat to this but there is no way you caould do that, and still fit it, as the seat fits on the top, and the gun pack fits from underneath. This has made me wary of all future call outs and will be test fitting all sub assemblies as I go.

P1080783_zpsffa7a8fb.jpg

A final clear shot of the interior before the side walls are added and close things up a bit.

P1080786_zps3fc01c98.jpg

told you that you wouldn't see as much.

P1080789_zps3d89360f.jpg

I don't know if the wiring is the right colour either, I have seen this yellow or blue, and in a black and whit pick, I can't make up my mind. It looks dark, but that could be the film stock used, anyway it brightens up a rather drab gray pit. That is all for now, as it is time for some adult juice, a bit of a rest and then bed.

Thanks for looking

Edited by depressed lemur
  • Like 3

Good work DL, it's looking very nice indeed... :coolio:

We did have a bit of a discussion regarding the colours of the wiring but it turned out inconclusive and in the end I think all participants decided to do what we wanted anyway :D

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

We did have a bit of a discussion regarding the colours of the wiring but it turned out inconclusive and in the end I think all participants decided to do what we wanted anyway :D

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. I have seen many cockpits of 109 and 190s in colour, but not a 110. Strange that.

Hi DL, I tried to do a bit of research myself on the colours but struggled to find anything conclusive. I went for blue on those cables on the left hand side as well so we're both right or both wrong. Part of the problem seems to be that most photos are of 'G' models, and the cockpit seems to be significantly different from the 'D'.

Keep at it anyway, it's a lovely kit :thumbsup2:

Jon

Hello DL,

We're at about the same stage with our Dragon/Cyberhobby cockpit builds! I've recently closed mine up too, though I'm now having trouble fitting the wing centre section and its support (Parts A16 and A9 respectively) so that it mates well with the cockpit "capsule". I think it's probably my mistake with poor fitting at an earlier stage with the cockpit pieces though I'd be interested to know if yours is a good fit!? Everything else has been so precise which is why I'm sure it's me.....butcher's knife out I reckon!

Max