74 `Tiger` Sqn Camo Special

So it shouldn`t take a rocket scientist to notice my avatar, take a look at the picture below and then work out which one I`m doing...... :evil_laugh:

74f6_zps2f1e069a.jpg

....... followed by the obligatory shot of the box......

IMG_3113_zpsca73b01b.jpg

• Like 2

That looks like the Last Last Lightning Show at Binbrook? It's certainly wet enough.

25th Anniversary Show in 1979. It's an 11 Squadron bird masquerading as a Tiger for the crowd.

I'm building the same aircraft in 1/72, if the Sword F.3 I'm also working on doesn't kill me first.

25th Anniversary Show in 1979. It's an 11 Squadron bird masquerading as a Tiger for the crowd.

I'm building the same aircraft in 1/72, if the Sword F.3 I'm also working on doesn't kill me first.

Yep, that`s right.

As it turns out, XR761 was actually an old 74 Sqn machine when the unit was at Tengah.

At the time this picture was taken to celebrate 25 years of Lightnings at Binbrook she was on 11 Sqn`s books but it seems quite apt that she was given her old Tiger`s head back.

Sadly she crashed in the North Sea in 1984, Thankfully the pilot ejected safely and was recovered after only 25 minutes in the sea.

• Like 1

Life getting in the way of my plastic fiddling means that production on the Lightning has been slow with 5 minutes here and there spent on it.

But one of the things I really love about Airfix`s design is the fact that like the actual aircraft themselves, you can build sections independently and bring them altogether for the final assembly at a later date.

IMG_3116_zps274d21b9.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the fun TC. I've not seen a 74 Sqn. Lightning in the green/grey camouflage scheme before. Looks good so will enjoy watching you add this one to your impressive collection.

Welcome to the fun TC. I've not seen a 74 Sqn. Lightning in the green/grey camouflage scheme before. Looks good so will enjoy watching you add this one to your impressive collection.

Everything looks cool in green/ grey camo wrap. Just to prove it;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234958168-what-if-1144-tsr2-gr3-g-george-of-617-sqn/?p=1588053

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3

Cheers chaps.

This is, IIRC, my 6th 1/48 scale Airfix Lightning build in the last 2-3 years and as mentioned prior, I really do find this particular kit a joy to build.

This kit is the first one I`ve come across that has a few issues with it, the main one being that the two fuselage half's were a bit warped and out of shape. Nothing major but took a good day or so for the glue to cure properly in the correct fit.

A bit of sanding down later and I`m now at this point in the build.....

IMG_3120_zps6730b0e5.jpg

Hopefully the rest of the build will be fine.

• Like 3

Managed to get a few hours of work in on the Lightning today......

IMG_3127_zpsc67b662a.jpg

..... and it`s the first time I`ve tried this kind of pre painting/spraying of major sections before prior to assembly.

Should be an interesting couple of days. :hmmm:

• Like 5

Cheers chaps and I`m happy to report that everything fitted like a glove. (well..., I did dry fit them about 50 times prior which did not do my OCD any good at all.... :mental: ...... and I`d only ever try this method with this kit as I know it back to front now...)

Getting the decals on has started and it`s all looking a bit more interesting now.

IMG_3131_zps1a19ae1f.jpg

Edited by tc2324
  • Like 5