Bf.110(?) Fliegerfuhrer Irak

Well I'm well and truly out of my depth in this one.....But I have, kits, glue and paint so I'm plunging in regardless! :mental:

I'm still not 100% sure of:

1 - Which version I'm supposed to be building, presumably a D-3 Trop?

2 - Which versions I can actually build with the parts at hand.....I'm a Trackhead, these things all look alike to me!

3 - What the differences between the various versions are in the first place?

Threfore my plan is to build a reasonably representative 1/72 Bf.110 in 'Iraqi' markings, it will be modelled in flight with my usual slightly daft aircrew aboard. :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Sarge, The C and D version are almost identical exept for the "boat tail" also the D could make use of the big wing tanks.

The E differs from a C mainly with the air intake on the nose. the rest looks almost the same exept for the trop version. But the fliegerfuhrer Irak version were normal versions. mostly D3's or E versions.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Sarge,

The boat-tail is an extension to the rearmost part of the fuselage aft of the tailfin, Airfix include it (along with the shorter tail) in their kit so you should have it there... it housed a dinghy, hence the colloquial name :)

Edit: Ow, post ninja'd by Carts :weep:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Hmmmm.....Unused parts #83 & #84 have a distinctly 'boat-taily' look about them. :hmmm:

Does a 'Trop' have any distinct external differences (Like the longer filter of a 109 Trop).....Nothing is leaping out at me so far, but I'm not really sure what I might be looking for. :shrug:

I'm going to walk the Lurchers and then I shall be cutting plastic.....Starting with the cockpit and more importantly (to me) its occupants. :winkgrin:

Hi Sarge,

The boat-tail bits are located on the sprue near the fuselage halves, I can't remember the numbers but I think you may already have found them. There is a tropical filter fitting located just outboard of the port engine, you can see it on Paul's picture here - but I am not sure if it is included in the Bf110C kit (I think so though) or if it is appropriate to the aircraft you are building - I think I recall someone in the 'Chat' section advising that it was not fitted in your case... :hmmm: ah, it was Arnie, here.

Cheers,

Stew

The Trop version also have bigger oil coolers under the engine, enclosed mg's and the sand filters, but for the Iraqi version you don't need those.

These parts are in the E version of the airfix kit together with the E nose on a separate sprue.

Cheers,

I'm still here....I do like the new Airfix pilot figures, they're dead fancy compared to the old 'std.issue crotch-fondlers', seperate arms and everything! B)

Bit of a shame about the bone-domes, but mine don't have those anymore.....There have been decapitations! :devil:

Fettling the Italeri cockpit to the Airfix fuselage should be possible, but it is taking some fiddling around.....Once the bits all seem to fit properly I'll disassemble it, add the etch, file the instrument panel and any other bits that need it to the new profiles and then reassemble it. :mental:

I've reduced the width of the Italeri floor to match Airfix, but it ain't going in there yet....I don't want to reduce the side consoles or I Might as well have used the Airfix parts.....Some reaming of the inside of the fuselage may be in order:

CockpitFloor_zps258d7b1d.jpg

CockpitFit_zpsecbf4af1.jpg

Have to admit......A little part of me keeps whispering "Buy the Eduard kit, save yourself all the potential grief!", but I'm supposed to be reducing my stash not adding to it, so it aint't gonna happen. :confused:

• Like 1

So after much scraping, filing and sanding (oh how I love sanding), the unaltered Italeri cockpit now mostly fits in the Airfix fuselage:

CockpitTestFit02_zps3c9ddfa7.jpg

CockpitTestFit01_zps1e9f4431.jpg

Sometimes I'm actually glad I wear glasses.....Because if I didn't, that no.11 tip would presently be embedded in my right eye! :analintruder:

Yes.....Yes it is! :winkgrin:

I've been looking at some of the funky Eduard cockpits on here in an effort to try to understand what Airfix and Italeri were trying to represent.....Based on what I'm seeing I need to fashon some more 20mm cannon magazines, fit the divider from the Airfix kit to the top of the italeri bulkhead and do something about that ghastly representation of the sling seat. I've taken a bit of extra plastic away in the hope I can fit a 'skin' inside the fuselage to conceal the wingroot cutouts.

Would it be reasonable for these aircraft to carry an observer in the sling seat.....They were in very unfamiliar territory after all? :hmmm:

I can check in the Martin Drewes´ book what he says about that. I read that book some time ago and recall him describing the journey to Iraq with them having some technical difficulties at Rhodes or whatever it was in between. Luftwaffe sometimes sent the planes' mechanic for longer transfer flights along with the flight crew, just in case something happened in the middle of nowhere. It often did! V-P

I was wondering whether I could get away with sticking an Iraqi guide/observer in the third seat.....I reckon a fella in a Fez would add a bit of novelty to the build. :shrug:

Now that the cockpit mostly fits I'll start adding such etch as stands a chance of being seen throught the canopy with two three figures in place.....The instrument panel and side consoles are in, the rudder pedals are out! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I was wondering whether I could get away with sticking an Iraqi guide/observer in the third seat.....I reckon a fella in a Fez would add a bit of novelty to the build. :shrug:

Now that the cockpit mostly fits I'll start adding such etch as stands a chance of being seen throught the canopy with two three figures in place.....The instrument panel and side consoles are in, the rudder pedals are out! :winkgrin:

I'm pretty sure you could get away with adding an observer if you want Sarge, who's to say it didn't happen, and more to the point, can they prove it? :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

According to Martin Drewes in his book "Sand und feuer": Sonderkommando Junck had Bf 110:s of 4./ZG 76 and 3 more from ZG 26. Leaving Tatoi the planes were touch-up painted sand brown, with shark teeth and Iraqi insignia. They had two 900 litre droptanks. For the transfer flight all planes packed 20 litres of motor oil, hand pump, ammunition boxes, half a dozen of water bottles and the head mechanic in each plane. So much stuff they just could squeeze with three men in the cockpit, they did. The planes were not converted to suit desert conditions ( I read that = no Trop- version) so they had to drop supercharger pressure. They found the radio almost useless in Iraq, so the radio operators could concentrate in observation and manning the rear MG.

Two weeks later Lt. Drewes, oblt. Herget and ofw. Brandstetter were ordered to pick up three brand new planes from Athens, and they departed back to Iraq 29.5.1941. What they got was (my liberal translation from Finnish translated from German :banghead: )

"Desert painted, Iraqi insignia, brand new as promised, sandfilters at supercharger intakes and many other alterations, designed to protect not only the advanced DB engines but also the mechanical components and hydraulics against dust and heat."

These planes never saw service in Iraq. They flew to Aleppo in Syria, where they spent a week flying a few patrol flights without meeting enemies, before returning to Athens. Hope this helps, or at least is found interesting.

Edited by vppelt68
to correct spelling
  • Like 1