CF-FZG, DH Mosquito race No.41.

Well, my DH trio build is 95% completed. The 1/144 Caribou is delayed due to a mess up with markings and waiting for replacements.

To start off, here is the Mosquito as owned by Don McVicar and entered for the Bendix Trophy races in 1948. After various issues the Mossie was sold to an American for further racing and after an explosion of an air bottle in the fuselage in 1951,it was grounded.
This is my rendition of the Mosquito from the Tamiya 1/72nd Mk.IV kit(thanks to Vonkeyvong!) and the Thunderbirds Decals(ex Whiskey Jack).
I mixed Humbrol enamel yellow 69 with some gloss white to get the 'Diana Cream' colour. All airbrushed and hand painted the canopy framing with a mix of humbrol acrylic emerald green with a dash of blue to match the green of the decal. This mix was also used for the spinners. Decals worked a treat and needed a little trimming around the nose glazing area.
The pics:
IMG_6755_zpse8417b45.jpg

IMG_6754_zps6ce0ee08.jpg

IMG_6751_zpsb16f817c.jpg

IMG_6750_zpsac2a21aa.jpg

IMG_6749_zps9ab0bb4a.jpg

IMG_6748_zps196ece3b.jpg

IMG_6747_zps7589102c.jpg

IMG_6752_zps2a56bbc1.jpg

IMG_6753_zps0219600a.jpg

A bit different isn't it!? And acknowledgements to Thunderbird decals/Freightdog for making this set available again as I missed it when W J was around.

• Like 22

That looks so wrong but somehow so right. That's great

Thanks. I thought that, but the Mk.IV has only one wartime scheme and thats grey and green. So my civvy one here is a change to all the regular camo schemes often seen. And, it fits in well with all my Canadian civil builds I have done with a few more to come and also satisfys my affection for Canadian aviation subjects!

• Like 1

Cheers for comments all. I am now on the lookout for another Tamiya Mossie to civilianise! The FB6 variant this time. I have decals waiting to use on it courtesy Thunderbird.

I found these pics on this site of the real one. You can see the same airframe through its various guises almost up top the end of its life.

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/sgc-cms/histoires_de_chez_nous-community_memories/pm_v2.php?id=search_record_detail&fl=0&lg=English&ex=00000430&hs=0&sy=itm&st=&ci=116&rd=109330

It helped with the metal looking panel(I assume) I replicated on my model.

Glad to see and appreciate the responses by the way. Inspiring me to do the Kenting Surveys Mossie now....

Once again Paul a lovely model of a very interesting scheme.

Looking forward to the Caribou.

Cheers all.

Bill(and others): Caribou coming soon. Waiting for a couple replacement decal items seeing as I was bit careless in handling trying to be very careful in not breaking off the tiny etched flap guides! Another Canuckian civvy Mossie :ninja: to come not too distant future. :winkgrin:

Brilliant! I thought it was 1:48 till I read about the Frightdog decals. It took me ages to get a sheet of the Whiskey Jack decals - I searched all shops I know and at last e-bay came to the rescue. There is (was) also a book about WWA and the Mossie by Don McVicar called Mosquito Racer which seems to be an intersting read (I just read the first 50 or so pages by now).

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Rene

Brilliant! I thought it was 1:48 till I read about the Frightdog decals. It took me ages to get a sheet of the Whiskey Jack decals - I searched all shops I know and at last e-bay came to the rescue. There is (was) also a book about WWA and the Mossie by Don McVicar called Mosquito Racer which seems to be an intersting read (I just read the first 50 or so pages by now).

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Rene

Cheers Rene.

I read the book and a couple others of his a long time ago borrowed from local library. Good reads and entertaining. And inspiring now!

• 2 years later...