Yellow Submarine

Bengalensis

Looking lovely! I'd be tempted to skip the flat coat, or maybe just spray it on the bottom parts. I think the gloss suits it and it'd be a shame to risk those windows.

I guess if you airbrush the varnish, you could maybe mask with paper tubes rather than tape, just resting on top?

Will

• Like 1

weathering the yellow submarine, if any normal people ever see this stuff we'll all be sectioned

Its perfectly normal behavior and I am sure Jorgen is unlikely to find himself in any kind of government institution. Well I hope not anyway (please don't report him). Hey, its the 1960's, pretty much anything goes!

• Like 2

Thanks a lot for all the encouragement. We'll see if I will get away with this one. The last few days I have sometimes seen strange and evil looking blue men spying on our house. I'm not sure that's a good sign.

Today I masked off the portholes and sprayed a final gloss coat before the weathering. I have also prepared a base, so when the clear coat was dry I rigged everything up for a trial. Well, what looked right when I had the kit parts and cut my piece of wood doesn't seem to work that well anymore. I think it needs a much larger base.

YS55.jpg

• Like 7

Jorgen- Excellent work- the sub looks amazing, especially considering the kit (rather toy?) you started out with. I do agree with you about a larger base. I'm looking forward to your next build.

• Like 1

Jorgen- Excellent work- the sub looks amazing, especially considering the kit (rather toy?) you started out with. I do agree with you about a larger base. I'm looking forward to your next build.

The base kit I used is indeed more of a toy, a toy in simple kit form. I was actually surprised there was nothing more sophisticated available in kit form for such an iconic vessel.

I think it's the Mutz Nutz!! I also think a larger base would distract from the model.

Hope I'm not told off for that!!

You're not the only one thinking so. A friend I discuss a lot of these issues with was very clear yesterday that a small base is right, but perhaps it should be heavier. The models he showed me to support his opinion made me unsure as they made sence. I will have to consider this further. All opinions and ideas are most welcome.

I wasn't doing my research properly in the beginning, and today I could no longer avoid paying the price. There is something fundamentally wrong here. There should of course be two propellers...

YS56.jpg

That's not a very clever thing to start messing with at this point, but there was nothing I could do. This morning I promptly cut the single stub off and went to work as carefully as possible. After a while I had come up with this.

YS57.jpg

It now makes much more sense to me from all angles. The propellers are now sourced from the extra kit I cannibalised for my 1/350 Titanic build years ago.

YS58.jpg

Here's the result after repairing the paint. I was also never satisfied with the pale brass colour on the single propeller, it needed a more red tone without being red, so I tried copper this time.

YS59.jpg

YS60.jpg

• Like 15

In the nicest possible way you are completely mad. But once I see an error like that I have to fix it as well. A very good job Sir!

I think the base looked good myself. The model is very wacky so why not a different approach?

One day I may be 5% as good as you at this model making lark!

• Like 3

Great work on correcting the propellers. On second look, I do agree with you and your friend about the base.

Edited by louiex2
  • Like 1

Absolutely beautiful Jörgen, I too like the smaller base, it focuses the eye on the sub itself very nicely. I don't like the yellow windows though! :coolio:

Sean

• Like 2

Thanks a lot guys. I've always said that being a bit mad and crazy makes a lot of things easier in life.

I finally worked up some courage and went to work with a few different washes to bring out the weld beads and get some life into the still very toy like thing. I decided I had made enough at this point.

YS61.jpg

The exact content in the four periscopes is still highly classified even 46 years after the battle, and watching the documentary film reveals very little. I had to work with what little is known and apply some artistic license. Now the whole known crew is on board.

YS62.jpg

Gloss, flat or something in between, that has been a question for some time. I think that gloss is unlikely and I still want to kill the bath tub toy, so I decided to try a flat coat. It looked good enough to make me remove the window masking for what is hopefully the last time. Not much left to do now.

YS63.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks a lot, glad you like it so far. I carried on as things went quite well and it was so close. The red periscope glasses were glued in place and the white edge painted in. After that it was just to fit the propellers and glue the periscopes, and adjust their alignment as the glue set. I'm calling this done now. The base is still up for question and undecided, but easy to change. It feels good having reduced that stash of unfinished shame with at least one.

YS64.jpg

YS65.jpg

YS66.jpg

• Like 13