Hi all

Just started to build this Revell monster of a kit, seems to be going together nicely but suffers from quite a bit of flash.

15716926426_54b41e7059_z.jpgRevell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

15554759549_9b3f7cc1b2_z.jpgRevell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

15555819880_c7336730ba_z.jpgRevell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

15555820030_591f73f5fe_z.jpgRevell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

15740638875_d990ddb075_z.jpgRevell 1/16 Rolls Royce Phantom by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

Cheers

Jeff.

• Like 2

Very nice Jeff; more Rolls Royce builds on the site!

The parts seem very similar to my 1/8 Sedanca; have a look at my WIP for more detailing ideas.

Keep the updates coming.

PS: It looks like Revell got the taper in the chassis right; I know Pocher didn't!

Edited by Codger
  • Like 1

I am watching this with interest. Any further progress on it? I am eager to see more.

Hi, not had much time this week, will post soon all being well, next job is to spray the interior seats etc.

Thanks for the interest.

Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...

I finished this model about 6 weeks ago and am pleased with it. If you are interested, see post at 3:47 today (1 December):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970141-entex-116-1937-rolls-royce-phantom-iii/page-2

The doors are too short, requiring extra plastic at the bottom. That was the only fault and remedied OK. I scratch-built the dash and added burr walnut to it and the tops of the doors. The wing and driver's mirrors will fall off if you just look at them, so handle very carefully when attached.

• Like 1

Hi all

A little more progress made, photo below of some of the components ready for building up.

Have gone with the box art colour scheme but wished I had chosen an other colour scheme as the maroon/red body colour has not gone to well. The colour I used is a matt with clear gloss over and has gone very rough, also when I removed the masking tape it pulled off some of the black paint.

Also I have lost one of the wheel back plates to the carpet monster so will have to make a new one, quite a big part so don't know how I managed to loose it !

More to follow.

15780437728_9af6772f6f_c.jpgRevell Rolls Royce by Fiesty fox, on Flickr

Cheers

Jeff.

I finished this model about 6 weeks ago and am pleased with it. If you are interested, see post at 3:47 today (1 December):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234970141-entex-116-1937-rolls-royce-phantom-iii/page-2

The doors are too short, requiring extra plastic at the bottom. That was the only fault and remedied OK. I scratch-built the dash and added burr walnut to it and the tops of the doors. The wing and driver's mirrors will fall off if you just look at them, so handle very carefully when attached.

Great looking model and very nice photograph too.

I HATE to tell you this Jeff; but if it were me, I'd strip that troublesome red paint. Your work is excellent to this point and I hate to see poor paint drag the model down. There are many quality lacquers around that will give you great gloss in just a few coats without even clearing-much easier and more durable.

I know everyone has different levels of patience and recognize that you may just want to get on with this one.

But you've done great work and as always, most models are largely evaluated by the first thing seen-paint quality. Or maybe try a better method on a second build of this nice kit.

Off my soap box now...}:-)

Ditto my pal Mr C.....

DON'T let the paint spoil an ACE build.

My D Type has hardly progresses at all in the last week, as I'm 'waiting' for bits to dry and moulds to settle.

It would be easy (and VERY tempting) to rush ahead.

Don't do it.

Most good old Halfords paints will give a superb finish with little effort.

Once complete, you will be very glad that you went the extra mile.

Great stuff so far though.

Roy.

A paint job can make or break a model. Too bad you are not happy with the result, after all the effort you put into it. For me painting a model is the most scary job. I am curious if you are gonna strip it and do it all over again. I wish you luck.

On the other hand, I will join you in building the same model.

I found this collection of bits and pieces on a second hand site; I checked the lot, it is complete.

So let's start now.

55nerq.jpg

Edited by RRFAN

Hi all

Yes while I agree with all the comments re the paint job, I have decided to carry on with the build as it is. The reason for this is because I am having to learn to use the air brush with my left hand as I have developed a bad tremor in my right arm. The red paint has an uneven finish do to my hand moving in and out uncontrollable, the

black I tried with the left hand. A time ago I did think about giving up modelling altogether but decided to try

this one out, plays havoc with my photography also.

Doing smaller areas ie 1/72 aircraft is not to bad.

RRFAN I will follow your build with interest.

Cheers

Jeff.

Sorry for your difficulties Jeff.

But just a thought to consider; maybe if you are in proximity to other modelers, you can have a mate strip and reshoot your red?

You're still doing a very nice build...

Sorry for your difficulties Jeff.

But just a thought to consider; maybe if you are in proximity to other modelers, you can have a mate strip and reshoot your red?

You're still doing a very nice build...

Yes Codger I have modelling friends and have thought about asking but I feel the finished work would not be all mine.

Hi can anyone help me with how to obtain a good walnut wood effect finish on the dash panel and trim on the Rolls Royce.

What colour paint to use or is there any decal sheets out there.

Thanks

Jeff.

I am starting to build this model also. One thing I do not like about this model, is the ride height, see pic 1.

In comparison with the real deal, pic 2, I feel it is way too high.

So I lowered the suspension bij cutting away/flatten the parts I marked in red pic 3 and 4. That gives a better result.

4r5h.jpg

59vn6o.jpg

amqw4g.jpg

30ma3vm.jpg

Edited by RRFAN

Hi can anyone help me with how to obtain a good walnut wood effect finish on the dash panel and trim on the Rolls Royce.

What colour paint to use or is there any decal sheets out there.

Thanks

Jeff.

Roy has an excellent decal method that he explains in his 'Star of India' Torpedo WIP.

• 1 month later...