Harriers. Lots of Harriers.

Evening, folks!

This here is going to be my first WIP, so please be gentle. Hopefully it's one that will allow me to pick your brains and feed off the collective knowledge of these forums throughout this quest I have set myself.

The plan is that by the end of this project, I will have one of every Harrier variant (in 1/72) to see service in the name of these fair isles.

The Harrier has always been a firm favourite of mine, but this year I've been on a major Harrier buzz. I blame the fantastic static display at this years air show at RAF Cosford! Regardless, I have accumulated a small library of Harrier-related literature that is currently fuelling my determination to see this project through.

I'm planning on this taking a while, so I reserve the right to decide whether or not I brave trainer variants after the rest are done!

Anyway, without further ado, here are the kits I will be working with:

8YbCdiB.jpg?1

Big surprise, Airfix takes up the majority of the stash. In this scale, I really don't think there are any better alternatives available.

Here is the roster I am thinking of at the moment

GR.1 - either kit decals, or 233 OCU
GR.3 - 1 sqn. on exercise on Exercise Cold Winter, Norway 1979
GR.5 - (Revell/Hasegawa Kit w./ Quickboost nose converted to GR.5) - 3 sqn. RAF Gütersloh
GR.7 - ZD404 (Lucy) - Afghanistan, 2006
GR.9 - ZG477 1 sqn. as she is at RAF Museum Cosford

FRS.1 - 801 NAS 1998
FA.2 - 801 NAS

I'm tempted to pick up another GR.7/9 to do in 800 NAS markings to balance out the naval side of things, but we'll see how the rest go first.

That's the plan, at least. I've got a bunch of aftermarket goodies lined up that I want to throw at these kits, but I'll be ordering them as and when the project/bank balance permits.

To kick things off, here is the first kit I'll be starting:

SwCRWXs.jpg?1

To ease myself into it, I'll be starting on the GR.9 - a nice, clean build that should get the ball rolling. Luckily for me, ZG477 is only just up the road, so I can go and snap some piccies and spend some time with it whenever I want, really.

I'll be using the Pavla cockpit and intakes/exhausts for this kit. I've already dry-fitted the cockpit, and it fits beautifully. The kit 'pit is nice for an OOB 'pit, but the Pavla offering really brings the detail that this kit needs. I'll be starting painting shortly, so watch this space!

Feel free to offer C&C - I'd rather be told I'm doing something wrong before it's too late to change something rather than after!

Cheers

Daryl.

• Like 9

So I've started (surprisingly enough) with the cockpit. After settling with 1/48 for so long, I've forgotten how small 1/72 is!

The Pavla cockpit really is a nicely detailed set, though.

9ofwqhz.jpg?1

I've tried to replicate Dark Admiralty Grey by using XF-54 with a dab of white. Clear Green for the MFDs and a dab of Klear for the glass. Will most likely go unnoticed when it's all closed up, but at least I know it's there!

HI78elK.jpg?1

A quick dry fit to see how things are sitting, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome. A little fettling and she'll close up nicely!

That's all for tonite... I might brave the bangseat tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm missing the two-seaters... :shrug:

BTW, I made a tentative start on the same project a while ago. Great minds think alike. B)

• Like 1

Not to be an anal dweeb (though I am), but the Esci/Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1 is generally considered to be superior to the Airfix one. That aside, splendid project, looking forward to seeing you progress!

Not to be an anal dweeb (though I am), but the Esci/Italeri Sea Harrier FRS.1 is generally considered to be superior to the Airfix one. That aside, splendid project, looking forward to seeing you progress!

Yes, I'll be using an ESCI SHAR FRS.1 (got a few of those and some GR.1&3's in my stash :) ) for my "collection". Cockpit and wheel wells betray the age of the kit. However the surface detailing is a lot better than the modern Airfix kits. But just a little scratch detaling in the nose wheel well, and some aftermarket stuff like Eduard PE Zoom sets and Master brass pitot tubes, will bring these kits right up to modern standards.

Edited by Sten Ekedahl
  • Like 1

This is exactly why I wanted to do this as a WIP post - info like this is exactly what I'm after!

I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I've seen a few of the Esci/Italeri kits knocking about from time to time, but I've always just dismissed them.

This is exactly why I wanted to do this as a WIP post - info like this is exactly what I'm after!

I'll have to keep an eye out for one. I've seen a few of the Esci/Italeri kits knocking about from time to time, but I've always just dismissed them.

As Procopius says, it has it's advantages over the Airfix one in terms of accuracy. Airfix made a bit of a mess of the SHAR kits - but you can see how much they have improved when you look at the GR1/3 and GR9 kits.

One point to watch on the 'new' GR3 kit, Airfix made the fin too short, it should be the same height as the Sea harrier, however they left it at the height of the GR1. It's a quick fix with plastic card or Freightdog do a resin replacement

As Procopius says, it has it's advantages over the Airfix one in terms of accuracy. Airfix made a bit of a mess of the SHAR kits - but you can see how much they have improved when you look at the GR1/3 and GR9 kits.

One point to watch on the 'new' GR3 kit, Airfix made the fin too short, it should be the same height as the Sea harrier, however they left it at the height of the GR1. It's a quick fix with plastic card or Freightdog do a resin replacement

Thanks for the heads up. I was aware of the GR.3 tail (I've got the Freightdog tail in the mail!) but I was unaware that the SHARs were a bit of a cock-up. I was going to replace the FA.2 nose with the Pavla replacement, at least. Is there more to be aware of? The only thing that I really don't like about them so far is the Grand Canyon panel lines!

Thanks for the heads up. I was aware of the GR.3 tail (I've got the Freightdog tail in the mail!) but I was unaware that the SHARs were a bit of a cock-up. I was going to replace the FA.2 nose with the Pavla replacement, at least. Is there more to be aware of? The only thing that I really don't like about them so far is the Grand Canyon panel lines!

My understanding is that without getting into some aftermarket conversions, the Airfix FA2 is the best of the bad lot. I have a sentimental fondness for it as a result, as that's also exactly how I managed to get my wife to marry me.

• Like 1

My understanding is that without getting into some aftermarket conversions, the Airfix FA2 is the best of the bad lot. I have a sentimental fondness for it as a result, as that's also exactly how I managed to get my wife to marry me.

Haha, that sounds like a story to be told, If I ever heard one...

How about a 233 OCU GR5 :banghead:

I did seriously consider it! The first Harrier kit I built as a kid was the old Revell GR.5 with the 3 sqn. decals, hence the nostalgia. If I decide to use the kit decals for the GR.1, I might still sway and do the GR.5 in 233 OCU markings, though ;)

Haha, that sounds like a story to be told, If I ever heard one...

Oh, it's very simple, she had a choice between me (ill-formed but can look nice -- from a distance -- with a little hard work, that's Airfix), a guitarist in a band who introduced her to his other girlfriend on their date (Special Hobby, you know it's going to cost you, and all the resin and so forth makes things more complicated than they need to be, but looks no better than the Airfix for way more time and effort), and a dental technician who didn't like to be touched and wanted to have children via IVF (Xtrakit, which is just the Special Hobby without any of the cool bits, but all of the problems).

• Like 5

Oh, it's very simple, she had a choice between me (ill-formed but can look nice -- from a distance -- with a little hard work, that's Airfix), a guitarist in a band who introduced her to his other girlfriend on their date (Special Hobby, you know it's going to cost you, and all the resin and so forth makes things more complicated than they need to be, but looks no better than the Airfix for way more time and effort), and a dental technician who didn't like to be touched and wanted to have children via IVF (Xtrakit, which is just the Special Hobby without any of the cool bits, but all of the problems).

Haha! Bravo. That's a story to tell the kids. She obviously made the right choice. I'll spare the music-related innuendo (I'm a bass player by trade) but there's a reason girls like Guitar players, eh? ;)

• Like 1

Haha! Bravo. That's a story to tell the kids. She obviously made the right choice. I'll spare the music-related innuendo (I'm a bass player by trade) but there's a reason girls like Guitar players, eh? ;)

I think it's their overpowering urge to fix a man, as if there's a good man just waiting to be brought forth by a haircut, a good scrub, the honest love of a good woman, and an alarmingly long list of household chores. Happily the labyrinthine intricacies of my psyche provide endless fodder for Mrs. Procopius's corrective instincts.

• Like 2

Hi there Procopious

You know for some time I was havin on the head some comparation regarding the brands of the kits (specially after reading the experts choice and or reviews) and yours is more thatn fine

Well done mate

Armando

• Like 1