Which gloss acrylic varnish gives adequate sheen for oilpaint washes and dries quickest ?

Merlin

Hi.

Decision time, and this would prove useful to others as I bet I am not alone in having to make this choice !

Applying a gloss varnish over enamel paint. enamel has had a few days drying and hopefuly curing time in a very warm environment.

What should I use, I dont want to add any white stuff to the model, some look like milk (experience with white versus transparent ones as matt varnish sees black go grey and not just matt)

I am not aiming for a showroom gloss finish, as its only to apply a spirit based wash (Winsor and Newton oil paints thinned with ?...actually you tell me whats best there for thinning it, given the acrylic choice below you are also going to make :winkgrin: )

I have at my disposal the following gloss varnishes, some look milky (m):-

Lifecolor (m) ..has even a thick layer of white gunk inside lid !

Xtracrylix (m)

Tamiya X-22 (thats not a varnish Tamiya say, but an additive)

Vallejo (m)

Aeromaster (m)

Winsor and Newton Galleria Gloss

Johnsons Klear

Q1) which one would dry quickest to allow the wash and how many hours should I allow for drying ?

Q2) What would be best to thin it ?

Q3) Will that white look of the brand give me a white tint and lighten my colour at all ?

Application, a few mist coats then a wet coat or just keep at the mist coats and will the latter give a decent sheen for the wash ? I dont want to clog up detail, especially as there is a satin varnish for final finish to consider.

Any suggestions on psi and distance perhaps. I have a double action Iwata with 0.3 nozzle and needle combination.

As for the satin coat, should that be enamel or acrylic over the above or does it not matter, for a speed build ? I did plan on using Humbrol Mattcote (best non smooth finish satin I have found !)

Merlin