Junkers Ju 52/3mg4e, Italeri, 1/72

JWM

Hi,

The last (so far) of my Junkers, which I am posting here. After F13, K43, W34, G24, Ju 86 R, Ju 86Z, Ju 87A, Ju 87 B and Ju 87 G now there is a time for Ju 52/3m. Belive or not - but I have not made yet any of Ju-88-388 family... Nor Ju 90/290. Nor 352...Some of them are already waiting in boxes. Honestly - I did one Airfix Ju 88 in school, plus 40 years ago, but very soon I sold it to one collegue. Those time it was very difficult to buy a western country kit, so relatively a big market of second hands was existing and even poor models were bought, washed with NaOH etc and reassembled. So I am pretty glad, that I do not have this old Airfix Ju 88...

Presented here Ju 52 is practically OOB, just small modifications were done and different then in kit decals were applied. They came from drawer and the emblems (arm of coats?) of unit on both sides of nose are hand - brush paint on clear decal.

The markings are from invasion of Crete, 1941, unit: Stab IV/KGzbV 1 (whatever it menas :) ).

Brush painted with Humbrol, diluted Vallejo matt acryl finish (brush), decals with micro set and micro sol applied.

Here it is - please be free to comment

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

ju 52 DSC02623ju 52 DSC02622ju 52 DSC02621ju 52 DSC02620ju 52 DSC02619ju 52 DSC02618ju 52 DSC02617ju 52 DSC02616

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 40

Masking this structure must have been very complicated

Hi Mario - opposide - this was free hand painting without any masking at all :). The surface stucture exclude any tape for masking if you are painting with brush, at least for me.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

Very neat and not so often seen ! It seems that i should have a long look at your Junkers family. The surfaces are not easy to paint, well done !

Stab/IV = Headquarters flight for the fourth group in this regiment

KGzbV = Kampfgeschwader zur besonderen Verwendung = Thats a term for a special duty unit, most Ju 52 were assigned to flying schools and were put together in those units for combat.

All the Best

Bernd :bye:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jerzy!!!

Lovely Tante Ju, Iliked a lot the way you built her and the Drawer decals you have been using. A real wonderful build-

Really a wonderful model to enjoy. What about any Electromagnetic variant to make a company to this nice model you did???

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

What about any Electromagnetic variant to make a company to this nice model you did???

Indeed - perhaps... Seriously - doing whole collection, from mamy years already, I am trying to have some proportion between number of models representing one general type of machine with number of produced airplanes of this kind but this proportion must include also differences in shapes. For example - Ju86 vary a lot in shape between different variants, but it was not really mass produced. So I have two of them now and perhaps I will do the third one (for exampe JU86 D from Spanish Civil War). The Ju52 is opposite - all military service variants look almost the same, although it was in much more massive production. Therefore I am considering, that I should one day do next Ju52, but still not sure if it should be bomber version from Spain, electromagnetic one or on floats one?... Anyway, I will not do this soon. ...

And thank you very much Luis Alfonso for your next very postive feedback! :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

King Cornetto, many thanks for your comment, I somehow did not noticed it in Nov 2014, apologize for that.

:sorry:

Anyway now it gives me excuse to jump back into RFI ;)

Cheers

J-W

On 4.11.2014 at 6:23 PM, JWM said:

The markings are from invasion of Crete, 1941, unit: Stab IV/KGzbV 1 (whatever it menas :) ).

Nice one, Jerzy.

I have the same kit in my stash.

"KGzbV" stands for "Kampfgeschwader zur besonderen Verwendung" - translates as "Special purpose Squadron".

These were re-named "Transportgeschwader" (Transport Wing) by 1943.

• Like 1

Invidia, many thanks! :) 

On 10.08.2017 at 10:06 AM, invidia said:

That looks great. Brush painted with no masks, thats a great job well done.

Masking on such kind of surface can be very tricky as well

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

I had missed this one first time around J-W.

I'm glad you restored the pictures; it's a beauty. I like the Ju-52 very much. Once, as a child, I made the Airfix one; it wasn't as nice as this Italeri one, but it was great fun to make and looked the part (I didn't even paint it; put it on floats, left it white; drew two felt tip red crosses for 'ambulance') :).

It looks difficult to get straight lines of camouflage on this corrugated surface.

I also think that to get decals to settle could have been tricky.

Well done, a beautiful paint job and model.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1