Entex 1/16 1937 Rolls Royce Phantom III

RRFAN

Bought this kit 2 1/2 years ago but did not get started with it until last weekend.

I just revived my kit building hobby and I aiming for a pleasant build and result.

This model was also produced by Gunze Sangyo, Revell and Anmark

The box came in a derelict state but no problem with the contents.

2w51xr6.jpg

33ojuoh.jpg

1zbs214.jpg

30wo8pe.jpg

I made good progress with the chassis assembly and also the engine has been given a lot of attention.

11w3w3n.jpg

15o89xj.jpg

Right now I am working on the front suspension. The next step will be to complete the chassis assembly.

Can anyone tell me where to find or what to use as tubing for the ignition (see sample picture) it is not included in the kit itself.

j0i3vs.jpg

To be continued.

Edited by RRFAN
  • Like 2

RRFAN....

Hello :welcome:

OMG!!

THIS is such a Stunning looking classy motor car.

It reminds ME of a similar car that MY maternal Grandfather

uses to travel/and be driven around during his Diplomatic years.

I adored it ... so your RR Phantom III is drawing ME to follow your SUPER build. BEAUTIFUL engine work.

Brilliant start Sir :worthy:

:wow:

Welcome back to wild and wacky world of scale modelling. If its anything to do with a car model Hiroboy is a good first stop: What you want is probably somewhere in here

Thanks Azureglo for the tip on the tubing, much appreciated. Edited by RRFAN

RRFAN....

Hello :welcome:

OMG!!

THIS is such a Stunning looking classy motor car.

It reminds ME of a similar car that MY maternal Grandfather

uses to travel/and be driven around during his Diplomatic years.

I adored it ... so your RR Phantom III is drawing ME to follow your SUPER build. BEAUTIFUL engine work.

Brilliant start Sir :worthy:

:wow:

Thanks Houston for your interest in this build/car.

The Phantom III was indeed a very special car; the last of the Rolls Royces built in the Roycean way, not a rationalised production. No expense spared. Rolls Royce lost money on practically every PIII chassis they made.

One of the most remarkable features of this car was the (only) Rolls Royce built 12 cylinder engine, which they called the mini Merlin, being a downsized Spitfire engine.

I hope to finish this kit succesfully.

• Like 1

Beautiful start and welcome here!

Interesting to see the improvement in chassis rigidity at Rolls from my P II's ladder frame to to your later 'X' braced frame.

It's a lovely car, you'll do it justice. :thumbsup:

Thanks Codger for your kind words.

More progress, we have a rolling chassis now, albeit the wheels are not fixed and far from finished. Consider it a mock up.

The front suspension, not an easy job, took many hours and lots of corrections, but patience won the day, it worked out well in the end. The petrol tank has been painted (an indication of the way the car is gonna look). Now what I will do next is finalize the exhaust system.

63vekg.jpg

mktz79.jpg

ke9puv.jpg

33xwp05.jpg

Please show us more of those wheels. They look much better than the normal toy-like things in these classic kits.

That front control arm suspension looks good and remarkably different than mine.

Great progress.

Everytime I see one of these beauties, I get a better understand of why despite the cost, there is a good following for this scale and the like. It is a very beautiful kit and it is looking great!

"Test Fitting" a word taken from fellow forum members like Codger, bulding a Pocher Rolls Royce.

Upon test fitting the lower body part on to the chassis, it became clear that time has not been kind to this Entex kit; the rear wings being badly warped. With a small screw fitted inside the rear wheel cavity and fixed on to the leaf spring, I got most of the problem corrected. Must do that on the other side as well and then tweaking it somewhat further.

5k4nqd.jpg

9v829z.jpg

imv14o.jpg

20lf68.jpg

Edited by RRFAN

Got the engine firing on all 12 cylinders now. As the original V12 cylinder Phantom III engine was in fact a small sized Merlin (Spitfire) engine, it had double ignition, double pumps, double magneto, 24 spark plugs etc. etc.

I only did one outer bank of 6 plugs on each side and I am not sure whether the other inner 12 plugs will be done too.

There is too little room I fear. Must see.

Another (real) problem I have is the compartment floor. The gear box sticks out a bit too much, I am afraid I have to grind away a bit on the top of the transmission.

I will try to upholster the plastic seats with real leather. For that purpose my girlfriend donated one of her handbags, made of thin supple leather stuff. I had to choose between a cheap bag from the market or her Gucci. As a Rolls Royce is a bit of a posh car I thought the Gucci would do best ;) I am also thinking of carpeting the floor. As well as putting wood pattern on the doors and facia. I have wood pattern paper in stock. Don't know if it is gonna work out well, but at least I will give it a try.

14abxhh.jpg

mvhzlf.jpg

Edited by RRFAN

Watching this build closely and well done so far. Saw a Revell version of this kit at Telford on Saturday for £30 - wish I'd taken it now, I may give the guy a ring and see if he still has it! :banghead:

Watching this build closely and well done so far. Saw a Revell version of this kit at Telford on Saturday for £30 - wish I'd taken it now, I may give the guy a ring and see if he still has it! :banghead:

30 quid is a give away price. If you can get it for that little money I would say: take it as soon as you can.

Edited by RRFAN

The Revell kit is a completely different car - no comparison.

I had the Revell kit a while ago and was quite disappointed with it. I sold it on E Bay.

This Entex kit is really good.

I did not know that, I always thought that the Revell kit was just the same car in a different box. But I haven't seen it in the flesh so my observation is very limited. Never mind.

sy82u8.jpg

2a7g6cg.jpg

Having fixed the blue ignition leads I was not happy with the result after all. The colour, the thickness, it all made it look too hot rod-ish. Not in keeping with a Rolls Royce motor car. So I am changing that whole set up, having finished one side this evening.

Tomorrow the other bank. Looking more oldish now.

10gjp6r.jpg

2rcahsp.jpg

Edited by RRFAN

Another day of paying some attention to my Entex Rolls Royce build.

I got the wiring on both sides down, the second half going a lot more smoother.
The lower body part got a first coat of its final color (true blue) and did some preparation of the interior. Like I said before, I am gonna try to upholster the seats with real leather and put carpeting on the floor, hoping to get that done this weekend.

The spare wheels, part of this mock up, have also been given a first coat. The lighter blue is the two tone color of the body. The lower part of the doors and bonnet will be finished like that. Progress? yes, but still a long, long way to go.

5osh1g.jpg

Lovely build so far, but I'm personally not struck on the blue.

It looks a bit 'Airfix kit' and not very 'Rolls Royce'. And mean that in a positive comment way.

Of course, I know colours in pics can look very different via the web and monitor screens......

Keep going. I'm watching with great interest.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

Lovely build so far, but I'm personally not struck on the blue.

It looks a bit 'Airfix kit' and not very 'Rolls Royce'. And mean that in a positive comment way.

Of course, I know colours in pics can look very different via the web and monitor screens......

Keep going. I'm watching with great interest.

Roy.

Thanks for your comment. I know that colors are a sensitive item on a car and personal preference also interferes.

I happen to love that colour and it is not uncommon to see a similar combination on a real Rolls Royce.

But who knows I might change my mind.

What would be your preference, should you build this car?

358s5jo.jpg

976wit.jpg

2h2jdkg.jpg

Edited by RRFAN