Crusader F-8, Academy 1/72

alex

Good morning,

just to show some progress of the Academy Crusader. I will add the aires cockpit set (the first I ever used), and the quickboost flaps. As you may know, if the wind is raised, the flaps/slats will automatically come down. It's something which academy has forgotten. For the decals, I will use the excellent sheet from Xtradecal.

I started with the white parts, which are built into the fuselage. It's all gunze flat white acrylic, then a brush cote of the german "clear" (Erdal Glänzer), and some oil wash. Wheels are done with revell anthrazite, brush painted, after a drop of highly diluted oil colour where the tire meets the rim. That give a sharp edge. Airbrake is shown without washing, to show the difference.

1-weissteile_zpscd522b35.jpg

A detail photo of the main gear bay.

2-fahrwerksschacht_zpsda0390d8.jpg

The lowered slats. Since the parts are already separate, I just needed to sand the edges down, and fill the gap with some sheet.

4-fluegel1_zps7eddbe89.jpg

On the underside, I filled the gap with some stretched sprue, glued with extra thin cement. right hand side already filled, left side to go.

5-fluegel2_zps5f770de7.jpg

The cockpit. Nice details, however I prefer seats with moulded harness.

6-aires_zps3073c306.jpg

A coat of primer, then DSG, some drybrushing, and detailling with revell acrylics.

7-wanne_zpsd1b09984.jpg

The dashboard looks also better than the kit part. HUD will be added later, just before the windscreen.

8-board_zpsf4d3797a.jpg

Thanks for attention!

Alex

• Like 6

Lovely start Alex,

Your cockpit and undercarriage components are very well painted; not easy to do in this scale. I'm also curious as to which scheme the kit will be depicted in. The Xtradecals sheet has some interesting markings for sure.

Andrew.

• 5 weeks later...

oops, forgot to keep this WIP uptodate...

so, ejection seat got a layer of gunze surfacer primer, and a coat of tire black, followed by a drybrushing

9-sitz_zpsf6e8ae98.jpg

And later, brush painted details.

10-sitz2_zpsf095996c.jpg

Outer slats fitted as well. Some filling and sanding needed, not to leave a gap in between them and the wing.

11-fluegel3_zps8095daef.jpg

The fuselage has six "insets" (air intake, cockpit tub, wing box, airbrake box, gear well, arrestor hook). Fitting is good, just glue one side, put the fuselages together and let the glue cure. Make sure you don't forget something before you glue the fuselage helves together. Oh, and don't forget to drill the holes for the missile rails and intake scoops at the back end!

13-bauch_zpsa16850eb.jpg

Fitting is really good!

14-cockpit_zps45382e08.jpg

Cockpit tub completed. Looks nice!

15-preshading1_zps0de8dfb2.jpg

Preshading after a layer of surfacer (to cover the white filling)

16-preshading2_zps7df32aeb.jpg

the same on the underside. Note the two attached pieces of sprue. It helps holding the wing, without the need to touch it.

17-preshading3_zps91742bb4.jpg

Preshading of the fuselage. Nose cone is black anyway. Thanks for attention!

Alex

• Like 2

Alex,

Super start to the F-8. :speak_cool:

neat and good looking work. :goodjob:

the idea of the sprue as a 'handle' is impressive.. :thumbsup:

does it damage the fuselage once you remove it and how did you attach it. I mean what did you use to attach it, thank you :coolio:

HOUSTON...

naw, these are just two pieces of sprue, about 15mm long, glued on the underside. When the wing is finished, I can cut them away easily. It's inside of the wing box, so almost invisible at the end.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the preshading, I airbrushed the white.

18-weiss_zpsa4bbceac.jpg

And a bit later, the grey. I used as always Modelmaster Light gull grey, which looks spot on to me. Demarcation line is rather straight in the meaning of "no big curves", but not like drawn with a ruler. So, I masked with tape, and with small sausages of blue tac, I added the "ripple".

19-grau_zps089aed97.jpg

On most aircrafts, the demarcation line is low (underneath the guns), and moves up at the intake and elevators. By the way, does anyone know what the black area is, located aft and above the holes for the missile launchers? On some examples, this rectangle is black, on others it's hull colour. No idea.

And the wings are painted as well. Cutting out the flaps means no need to mask! ;)

20-fluegel_zpsf388a72c.jpg

Alex

• 1 month later...

Decals are now on. Academys were better than feared, but Xtradecals worse than expected. But with some setting solution, I got them to do what they have to.

22-decals2_zpsd6d36793.jpg

Same for the wings.

23-decals3_zpscf50ac20.jpg

Flaps were attached with CA. I had to sand quite a lot of the inner part, so they fit. Either Academy, or Quickboost, or myself did something wrong.

25-fluegel_zpsaa560388.jpg

(The white stuff is some tamiya polishing compound which stickes in the panel lines. After a washing, it should disappear)

And the nose gear is on. Fitting so far is very good, almost snaps into place. Like the new Phantom, if the fitting is so good, who needs glue anyway? ;)

26-seite_zps2289b806.jpg

Next: attaching all the little bits and stuff to the airframe.

Alex

• Like 2

Lovely progress, Alex.

I look forward to more of your work. I have high hopes for the new Academy Phantom, not least of which that it is delivered sooner rather than later. I'm willing to hide my glue if that hastens its delivery.

cheers,

Andrew.

19-grau_zps089aed97.jpg

"By the way, does anyone know what the black area is, located aft and above the holes for the missile launchers? On some examples, this rectangle is black, on others it's hull colour. No idea."

-> In a side-view drawing of a RF-8A Crusader it is labelled "Exhaust for Generator Drive Turbine" including a down-stream (heat-resistant?) panel. A general arrangement drawing of the RF-8A shows a "Main Generator Power Package" forward of the exhaust, which may use this exhaust.

Very nice Crusader by the way... cheers,

Blanik

• Like 1

Flaps were attached with CA. I had to sand quite a lot of the inner part, so they fit. Either Academy, or Quickboost, or myself did something wrong.

Academy did, every time I lowered the flaps on an Academy Crusader I ended up having to shave the inner sides to allow the wing to fit.

Good work, looking forward to the finished model !