Italeri 1/72 F4U-7 Corsair

My son was diagnosed with ewings sarcoma (bloody nasty bone cancer), which turned out be a bone infection. Yes a relief. How anybody would get an infection on a bone has got me beat, and he hasn't had an injury. I lost interest in modeling, I lost interest in most things.

I am going to build this nice little kit, and turn it into something better than my previous attempts.

Another one from Toyworld Winenut.

Box art;

box.jpg

The little bits of pleasure and things to go wrong.

kit-parts.jpg

If anybody can give some guidance in the building of this kit I would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Stephen

• Like 4

Wow! what a relief that must be! Been hearing so many sad stories recently its refreshing to hear some good news once in awhile. Hope you'll re discover the joy of modeling with this build after what must've been long days and nights. good luck on the build!

What a relief for you and your family! As someone who is starting chemotherapy next week, I know first hand what you went through. Be careful of bone infections though - they are not easy to get rid of. Be sure to take them seriously, and things will be fine.

Now, the Italeri F4U-7. It's a nice little kit, and has the correct fuselage length, something that Italeri has had difficult doing with their Corsair models. Build it, enjoy it, and have fun! I don't know how old your son is, but perhaps a nice father and son build is in order!

Cheers,

Bill

Alex is 18. Models aren't his thing, however killing on the computer is. We have tried doing kits together but there are no explosions.

Bill, hope this chemo adventure you are about to embark on works, I'm sure it will. You have my best wishes.

I should be able to get some guidance with the kit then.

Stephen

I've looked into one of the italeri kits. I believe the aim problems are the too shallow wheel wells and something odd with the canopy. I'm not sure if that was for the f4u-7 version though.

However you decide to build it, enjoy yourself... You have a good cause to.

K

No guidance I can offer on the kit but it looks sweet.

Top purchase from Toyworld Stephen ....nice you remembered LOL!

So glad the boy is all clear that is wonderful news.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.......I don't mind Italeri kits.

I wanted to go to their HQ in Bologna when we go to Italy next year (just to see what was there) but apparently according to my wife and the travel agent there is nothing worth seeing in Bologna so it's not happening! :chair: I well and truly know where I stand in the holiday destination stakes :coolio:

Chocks away!

• 2 weeks later...

Always a relief when family and friends pull through. Some have slated the Italeri kit but I've done one and it builds well and looks like a Corsair. And who doesn't love a midnight blue scheme? As for Alex killing computers, well, I've got Windows H8, we may be on the same wavelength

• 1 month later...

Bruce,

I bought True Details wheels and tyres and also Eduard's F4U PE set. On the tail wheel I didn't use the supplied PE bits I used wire instead. I should take better pictures and describe what I have done in more detail.

I painted the undercarriage with a rattle can - Tamiya Gloss Aluminimum ( I had this paint), the wash is Tamiya nato black mixed with a lot of water and washing up liquid. For the dirt I used I Tamiya desert yellow mixed with a lot of water and washing up liquid then I sprayed the parts with Testors Dullcote out of a rattle can.

tail-wheel-2.jpg

tail-wheel-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another update. Decals on.  We now have a new time waster in our family.  A little pup from animal rescue.  His name is Billy - 550mm high, 23 kg and only 4 months old.  The best time waster.

DSC_0020-1.jpg 

The Corsair.

_MG_3124-1.jpg

_MG_3125-1.jpg

Thanks for looking

Stephen

• Like 2