Airfix 1:72 Lightning F.6

Hi, after completing the F.2A i grabbed a F.6, but had some fit issues, probably down to me rather than the kit as its the same kit by the looks of it! On the plus side i managed not to break the pitot tube so was very pleased with that!!! Mixture of spray and hand painted and finished as XR728 of the LTF. Have bought some decals to be a bit more adventurous with the next one(S) ;)

15697724011_79526e0334_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-15 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

Prior to weathering

15697723951_3b5516857e_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-16 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

15514824910_98444e9f6e_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-1 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

15697730571_944481ef27_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-4 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

15701224812_65aba6ec17_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-11 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

15080287633_6617070861_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-12 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

And alongside the F.2A

15697731131_6b9a7de78d_c.jpgAirfix Lightning F.6 XR728-2 by jonf45 - 1 million views-Thank you, on Flickr

Thanks for lookiing

Jon

• Like 27

Lovely end results. Am tempted to get one - or maybe drop some hints, as its getting close to that time of year...

Is it just me, or do some of these new Airfix kits have rather deep recessed lines? Noticed it with their Gnat. Once a coat or three of paint applied its not so obvious to be honest though. Still great to see Airfix back where they belong.

Now, anyone going to bring back Matchbox?!!

• 4 weeks later...

Great build and some nice pics (although the 19 Sqn F.2A in the last pic is my favourite...). Can't wait to get started on mine :Tasty: And I love Stewart's hint toward the glitch in the box art - never saw that :sleeping: although I "played" with the box quite some (got the same one).

Edited by Lightningfreak

Very Fitting has its been announced within the last 24 hours that Group Captin John Spencer (JS XR728) Lightning pilot and Station commander of RAF Binbrook past away.

Nice model of JS

Edited by tweeky

I love the Airfix box art showing an F.6 without any elevators. I wonder if it will become collectable?

Last time I was in the model shop I frequent there was a guy actually rummaging through all of the Lightning boxes looking for the elevator flaw muttering 'These will be worth something'.

Re John Spencer. I had the priviledge of serving under him at Binbrook. An absolutely top man and gentleman. I have a print of a Lightning signed by him that was presented to me when I left that has pride of place in my man cave.

Edited by Dave Wilson
  • Like 1

Can't remember who was OC 5 at the time, was it Jake Jarron? Jake was a member of my flying club until recently.

And apologies to Jon, those are excellent builds. There's an F6 at Waddo in the later colours, red fin and spine standing near the helipad. I've just bought myself the 1/48 Lightning and there's a build in those same colours, sadly not with the reg of the Waddo one.

Edited by Dave Wilson

Ah thanks for that, I wondered who's it was. I haven't had a close up look at it yet and I must have driven past it a hundred times. I remember Simon Bostock was OC 11. Don't know if he was there at the end but he had a Harvard in one of the sheds. Thinking back didn't Jake Jarron become Staish?

Jon,

:wow: what a sweet detailed work you have done on your Lightning.

She looks MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE... HOT looking aircraft indeed. thank you for sharing her.

:mike:

earlier this year I saw the Lightning when it did its Taxy runs etc .. what a beautiful roar she has...Rumbles and stirs the Heart :heart::heart:

Edited by HOUSTON

Thank you all again for your kind comments :)

Houston, youre not wrong about the earth shattering noise they produce, cant beat it :thumbsup:

very nice work mate

what colors did you use for the cammo?

If you mean the green one, its just Humbrol 163, Satin Dark Green. She got here own page here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967164-airfix-172-lightning-f2a-19-squadron/

Thanks again

Jon

• 1 month later...