Hawker Hunter PR.11 764 Sqn.

Col.

Another Hawker Hunter of the workbench using the Revell 72nd scale kit as a basis. This time a PR.11 of 764 Sqn. at Lossiemouth during the late 60s and one that my father flew on a few occasions.

1414926248960.jpg

1414926353073.jpg

Used the Model Alliance Decals Senior Service Hawker Hunters sheet number MA-72136 but have mixed feelings about this. On one hand it made modelling this machine simpler as I didn't have to raid several other sources to get the decals required and they went on well but the white of the fuselage roundels isn't strong enough to hide the demarcation between upper and lower camouflage colours and none of the many stencils carried by this aircraft after conversion to a PR.11 are provided. While some can be taken from the kit decal sheet that doesn't cover everything. I'll say 7 out of 10 for them.

20141102_110835.jpg

20141102_110920.jpg

Modifications to the kit were forming the camera nose using the standard kit part built up with plastic tube and filler then the side looking ports glazed with Micro Kristal Klear, filling in the cannon troughs, changing the mid fuselage vents and intakes, and reducing the diameter of the jet pipe with plastic tube and sheet. The airbrake proportions were changed and the arrestor hook made from locking wire that used to come in bicycle brake caliper sets while the pitot probe was turned from some brass rod. The usual extra details inside cockpit and undercarriage were supplemented by a set of 'Remove Before Flight' covers on the intakes and the undercarriage locks. The covers were plastic sheet and fusewire with the straps made from metal foil from a chocolate coin (the joys of having a child :D ) while the u/c locks were from the same foil and some very thin fusewire.

20141102_110903.jpg

20141102_110940.jpg

Was also intending to add a P P Aeroparts boarding ladder as well but can't for the life of me find where I've put it so lets call her done as is.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 25

Thanks Steve I agree with you about the scheme, one of the nicest applied to the Hunter, not that I have a biased opinion because my dad flew them of course.

Aye Mark this one will hopefully be along with me on Tuesday.

Pusser's Hunter, winner! I remember when they used to use Hunters for 'Thursday Wars,' better than those Hawk things nowadays

A really lovely job you have done on this aircraft, the FAA aircraft looked great in this scheme, Nice to see the fully restored one at VL & CU this year. A lovely new decal sheet & book from Airfile for FAA GA/PR11 & T8 out soon. regards Len

• Like 2

A really lovely job you have done on this aircraft, the FAA aircraft looked great in this scheme, Nice to see the fully restored one at VL & CU this year. A lovely new decal sheet & book from Airfile for FAA GA/PR11 & T8 out soon. regards Len

Cheers Len,

Life just got better!

Beautiful Hunter! You have done a good job on the PR-nose. I thought about doing the same but shied away from it. It looks as if you have even thought of the vertical camera windows. AFAIK it can be found only on the PR.11 and some Omani Hunters, not on the RAF's FR.10.

• Like 1

Great Hunter Col and as for the scheme,......well it is very hard to beat an RN Hunter in my eyes, especially in the old grey/white colours! I love the PR nose too, cracking stuff!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Many thanks for the kind comments everyone. Glad you enjoyed seeing this one. So far as I can tell it was in this particular machine that my father got fined several weeks flying pay for overflying a nudist colony at very low level with the cameras running and in the process almost hitting two lorry drivers who were standing on the roof of their cab to look over trees and enjoy the view.

Pusser's Hunter, winner! I remember when they used to use Hunters for 'Thursday Wars,' better than those Hawk things nowadays

Somewhere in the long list of future Hunter projects is a FRADU machine that will serve as a reference for a painting on the subject of 'Thursday War' exercises some day :D

The restored one does indeed look lovely in all the photos I've seen of her :wub: From what I understand the sheet and book are due for release at Telford - wish I was going for those alone!

Delightful scheme. So clear looking and straight to the point in grey and white.

I have a 1/32nd kit half finished (since 1997) and am considering going down the GA11 or PR11 route. Give me another few years though.

Are you thinking of using the Flightpath conversion set? Also have a few of the 32nd scale kits in the stash and considering a GA11 conversion for one of them.

Beautiful Hunter! You have done a good job on the PR-nose. I thought about doing the same but shied away from it. It looks as if you have even thought of the vertical camera windows. AFAIK it can be found only on the PR.11 and some Omani Hunters, not on the RAF's FR.10.

I did add the vertical camera window after a bit of research although I can't prove either way it was ever used on this particular machine. At least it will provide a contrast to the RAF FR.10 I'm hoping to do soon.

Its a Hunter, whats not to like? Nice job, converted one of these from the old Aeroclub 1/144th Hunter in the overall grey scheme, pure class. Have to say that in this day & age its a bit bad form that decal manufactures still release product like that. (I'm a noob on this forum so I hope you're allowed to say stuff like that, if you're not I expect I'll have it pointed out to me pdq)

• Like 1

Its a Hunter, whats not to like? Nice job, converted one of these from the old Aeroclub 1/144th Hunter in the overall grey scheme, pure class. Have to say that in this day & age its a bit bad form that decal manufactures still release product like that. (I'm a noob on this forum so I hope you're allowed to say stuff like that, if you're not I expect I'll have it pointed out to me pdq)

Constructive criticism has always been welcome on BM so you're on safe ground there. It's the silly name-calling and pointless bitching that the mod team tend to hand out warnings for. If you post a photo or two of your 144th scale Hunter I for one will enjoy seeing it.

Very nice, the Hunter is one of my favourites. Cool connection to your Dad as well, it sounds like his time at the controls of a PR Hunter wasn't wasted. :thumbsup:

From what I understand his loss of flying pay was at least partially off-set by the copious amount of beer he was bought by various air and ground crew who wanted to see the photos and hear the story. There is also a T.8C on the bench with a story attached (if I can find my notes as to which particular machine was involved) that was his more usual mount along with plans for a GA.11 and FGA.9 to complete the line-up of Hunter types he flew.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1

Constructive criticism has always been welcome on BM so you're on safe ground there. It's the silly name-calling and pointless bitching that the mod team tend to hand out warnings for. If you post a photo or two of your 144th scale Hunter I for one will enjoy seeing it.

thanks for the heads up re name calling & pointless bitching,(I guess thinly veiled contempt & withering sarcasm are therefore non starters too) much appreciated. Would post the Hunter pics but no digicam. I do have a mate with skills & a digicam, I'll have to talk nicely to him see if he'll take some

Edited by spaddad
  • Like 1

From what I understand his loss of flying pay was at least partially off-set by the copious amount of beer he was bought by various air and ground crew who wanted to see the photos and hear the story. There is also a T.8C on the bench with a story attached (if I can find my notes as to which particular machine was involved) that was his more usual mount along with plans for a GA.11 and FGA.9 to complete the line-up of Hunter types he flew.

Cheers Col, cant wait to see the next one and hear some more of your Dads exploits!

Cheers

Tom

• Like 1