A Pair of Phantoms

Ghostbase

My contribution to the KUTA VII GB is a pair of F-4 Phantoms which have been stalled for a while.

Starting with this old ESCI 1/48th F-4J which is pretty well all painted and was to have been marked as a VF-74 machine aboard the USS America in 1972. Lot of detail work still to do and I would like to try using a wash for extra detailing. It was supposed to be a quick and easy build but I got distracted by a Kitty Hawk F-101A Voodoo!

IMGP6351size_zpsaa233319.jpg

And the second Phantom is one that is so close to completion except for a huge mistake - the front wheel well is the wrong way round and the cockpit tub is in the wrong place! So a little bit of remedial work to do on this F-4K but hopefully worth it as she does look pretty good already.

IMGP6347size_zpsd6599063.jpg

When these are done I can start work on an Academy 1/48 F-4B with a clear conscience :speak_cool:

Michael

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Ok time to get started on the ESCI F-4J. Apart from the canopies, armament and decals I have done most of the hard work on this Phantom so have spent this morning getting as much attached as possible - I find this helps my enthusiasm levels and therefore chances of getting her finished!

So underneath, have painted and attached all wheels, attached all the nosewheel struts and doors, the burner cans and added the central gasbag:

IMGP6473size_zps7752bbde.jpg

On top I have added the stabilators, also painted the anti-glare panel on the nose:

IMGP6475size_zps424ca281.jpg

The downside is that this model has been shunted around quite a lot and it has damaged the white paint on the nose cone:

IMGP6474size_zpse62cd7d6.jpg

So this brings me to the point of a dilemma. I have heard that Academy are going to release an 1/48th F-4J Phantom early next year and that being so I would like to keep theVF-74 decals as a possibility for that kit. My revised plan is to use these decals which are out of the Italeri F-4J kit 2642 of a few years ago now, these are for VF-213:

IMGP6476size_zps75a91daf.jpg

This would mean painting the nose cone black, also all the canopy glazing will be black as well which I think would work well on this build.

That is where I am at! Michael

• 1 month later...