Which Airshow?

TallPaul

Hi All

Before the summer becomes a distant memory and Christmas ‘spirit’ addles your brains I would like some advice please.

I have a visit to a full blown airshow on my bucket list. With the following criteria;

1. A good variety of aircraft eg biplanes, props, jets, helos.

2. Not particularly interested in commercial aircraft

3. Not fussed if I don’t see the Red Arrows

4. Will be taking the wife so somewhere to park her will be required, appreciate a grandstand or enclosure seat will probably be needed at extra cost, Anyone got any experience of these?

5. I guess traffic to and from car parks could be an issue subject to timing are some better organised than others?

TIA

P

This is a very difficult question because, if you ask a hundred people, you will get a hundred different answers. With regard to content of the shows, then your best bet is to go online and check yourself. Then you can decide which is or is not for you. Participation lists are usually published well in advance and are updated regularly. Travel of course is always an issue but, my own personal advice to you is do not even think of taking a car to the show venue. Most major events have well organised public transport / park & ride arrangements in place and, the buses are given priority routes. Fairford is a good example - they run buses to & from Swindon bus station (just 200 yds or so from the railway station) and, it usually takes 40 - 45 minutes. to get to the show along priority bus routes. You can be stuck in your car for 3 - 4 hours (or more) trying to get in & out! I know - I've done that!!

Grandstands are a good idea but, you can expect (where offered) to pay another £20 - £25 0n top your admittance fee. From a photography point of view they are a godsend - especially as you are (a) elevated above the general crowd and, ( B) you are well out of the way of those wretched windbreaks that so many spectators seem to think are essential obstacles - SORRY!! - airshow accessories!!. You can also come & go as you please during the day. You will usually have to pay in advance.

Take your own food or expect to be ripped off!! :lol: . There are a lot of other factors to be taken into account so,it is difficult, if not impossible to give any definitive answer. Distance of course is another factor. I've copied a link for you which may be a lot more use to you than anything I've said here. You can find reviews of most UK events together with information about future events. Based on what you read there, I hope you can then decide.

Have fun

Allan

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Try a day at old Warden (Shuttleworth). Yes it's early stuff from Bleriot up to about 1945, but they do get visitors from later times.

It's a grass field with a '30s feel. You can get up close and personal, there is more than just planes (old cars, gardens with rare plants, birds of prey) an excellent restaurant, and you can take a picnic or order a hamper. Many people dress up in period costume and arrive in their vintage cars.

A superb day (or evening) out. They do a proms night in August.

http://www.shuttleworth.org/

You guys are pretty much confirming options I have been considering. We have visited Duxford twice and Shuttleworth once but not on a flying day. Even the wife likes both venues! We live in Devon so its not a day out for us. Need to check out dates and figure out how to keep the wife away from Cambridge retail therapy.

Thanks again

Hi

I can recommend the proms night at shuttleworth.Take a picnic and wrap up.

But a visit to RIAT is a must do.It is still the worlds largest airshow.Start early or take the bus from Swindon and lodge somewhere nearby.

Glyn

Jersey.

Display line is over the bay at the south of the Island, getting there is realatively cheap and it is a great place to visit. There are plenty of good vantage points and it is a great mix of modern and unusual.