F-14D, 164342, VF-31 Tomcatters, 2006. Update 4/1

DaveJL

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Dermo!

Managed some work today. Added the intake trunks, 'beaver tail', GPS dome along with the Wolfpack engine shrouds and the complimentary tonne of filler.

IMG_6855_zps4b036b8c.jpg

IMG_6856_zpsd9a4e944.jpg

Still more filler needed! Wings built up:

IMG_6854_zpsa4172228.jpg

Pylons: (the resin Lantirn and associated pylon are from another Hasegawa 'special edition' F-14)

IMG_6857_zps9f988ea5.jpg

Ordnance:

IMG_6858_zps351c4458.jpg

Going for the typical last cruise load of 1x GBU-12, 1x GBU-38 and 1x AIM-9. However, I have included an AIM-7 in here as I recall seeing a picture of a VF-31 jet loaded with a single AIM-7 instead of the AIM-9. I'll have to see if i can find the picture again as it would make for an interesting and different load out!

Next up is to clean up the current filler, add more filler and begin work on the Aires cockpit.

More soon.

Dave

A little more done today. Filler around the exhaust shrouds was cleaned up which allowed me to add the tail fins:

IMG_6863_zpsa40758f5.jpg

Still more filler to tidy :lol: The lovely Royale Resin fuel tanks. These are a must for me now for any Hasegawa 'cat:

IMG_6861_zpsf82e8371.jpg

Steel Beach bomb racks fitted to the Phoenix pylons:

IMG_6862_zpsffc655b3.jpg

Some essential reference material:

IMG_6864_zpsae6edb83.jpg

IMG_6865_zpsea8f9da6.jpg

Cockpit has been prepped (casting block sawn off, sides trimmed and sprayed with primer) so hoping to get that painted and completed in the next few days. Once that goes in, she'll be flying!

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

More done this afternoon. Cockpit was painted and given a light coat of weathering. Details picked out with a cocktail stick, though they're not very clear in the photos:

IMG_6870_zpsbb0f615b.jpg

IMG_6867_zpsc9cbf94d.jpg

Once dry, it was inserted to the forward fuselage (minus the sidewalls as i've misplaced these somewhere):

IMG_6871_zps2048db44.jpg

IMG_6872_zps1603e66a.jpg

Preparation is key to get the Aires sets to fit snugly. To do so, I take the following steps:

1. Saw off the casting block on the tub itself and sand down with a coarse grit sandpaper.

2. Trim the front portions either side of where the pilots coaming sits. About 1-2mm usually suffices.

3. Sand the sides of the tub down so they are almost flush. (Aires provides raised ares to fit the side walls)

4. Sand the top of the kits landing gear bay as far as you dare go.

5. On the fuselage sections, trim down the bulge that forms the boarding ladder bay about 2mm.

6. Sand down the bumps on the inside of the left hand fuselage section that represent the inside of the boarding steps.

7. File down the sill on the top of each side of the fuselage.

8. Check and test!

Hopefully that makes sense! Also finished the coamings (will attach these later):

IMG_6878_zpsb6637587.jpg

Next up is to attach both fuselage sections and apply more filler!

More soon.

Dave

More done over the weekend. The pilots coaming was added and filler added to the forward fuselage:

IMG_6881_zps6e71a962.jpg

IMG_6882_zps5611b5e2.jpg

Once dry, it was added to the main fuselage section:

IMG_6888_zps732097cd.jpg

IMG_6889_zpsaf31dd81.jpg

IMG_6890_zpsa625edb7.jpg

As usual, filler is required at the join lines. There is a step on the lower half as well which needs dealt with. Next up is to clean up the aforementioned step, then add the AIM-54 pallets with the bomb racks, clean up some more filler and add the last few bits and pieces before priming.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

More done today and she's nearly ready for a lick of primer. Majority of the filler has been cleaned up and given a going over with wet 'n dry. Once that was done, I added the chin pod followed by the Phoenix pallets:

IMG_6905_zps13896d27.jpg

IMG_6906_zps204b59ee.jpg

IMG_6907_zps2d9cda0b.jpg

Just have a small bit of filler to clean up then all that needs done before priming is to mask off the cockpit.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Had a few little areas to clean up on the airframe but painting is proceeding well. Hope to get it finished tomorrow. In the meantime, the majority of the sub-assemblies have been painted, ready for gloss, decals and weathering.

Ordnance:

IMG_6926_zpsf2d9befa.jpg

Dropped the idea of adding a single AIM-7 and reverted to the AIM-9. The GBU's just require a flat coat and a dusting of weathering.

Fuel tanks:

IMG_6927_zps6ae3d5f6.jpg

Nose cone and ventral strakes:

IMG_6928_zps8d5c5e6d.jpg

A note to mention here is that the nose cone on 164342 was gloss black while the anti glare panel around the cockpit was matt black.

Pylons and LANTIRN:

IMG_6930_zps327e6927.jpg

As I say, airframe is getting there. Another coat tonight should see it near enough finished all being well.

More soon.

Dave

COME ON DAVE, WOOOO!

/end encouragement :P

None needed mate, this is my favourite F-14 scheme so needs done :lol:

Only another 4 in the stash to get through along with another 3 re-furbs, then I can buy some more!

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress, albeit slower than i'd liked! Kit is painted and now ready for gloss in preparation for decals. As always with my F-14's, I used ModelMaster acrylics for the TPS scheme and Tamiya Acrylics for everything else. All masking bar the windshield has been removed and the sub assemblies are all ready for gloss too.

Wings and horizontal stabilisers:

IMG_6976_zps348dc8b7.jpg

Ejection seats and exhausts, both with some weathering, ready to be fitted:

IMG_6977_zps0f6a26b6.jpg

Note the ceramic 'petals' on the GE-110 engines were originally white, but become heavily sooted over time. Think i'll add a bit more weathering to these. And now the airframe itself:

IMG_6979_zpsa42b36ce.jpg

IMG_6980_zps98d7e7a2.jpg

IMG_6981_zps6f43578d.jpg

With all my F-14 builds, I use Daco's 'Uncovering the F-14A/B/D' religiously. Probably the most used book I own :lol:

IMG_6982_zps663ce1aa.jpg

IMG_6983_zpsabef54bf.jpg

IMG_6984_zps971175fc.jpg

If anyone is a fan of the F-14, get this book, the best £30 you'll spend!

Hoping to get gloss on in the next few days, decals soon after, then get everything wrapped up shortly after the bearded one has been.

More soon,

Dave

• Like 3