painting temps

S5 modeller

Hi chaps.

I'm in the process of converting my shed into a workshop/paint area. As winter is approaching, I want to fit a smallish heater. I have tried spraying in the past in cold temps and had all sorts of problems, so my question is this:- is there an ideal temperature for spraying paint?

Would there be much of a difference for acrylics, enamels and others (like zero's and alclad)?

I don't want to be exact down to the last degree, but I know too warm is as bad as too cold. Perhapse a thermostat setup and a thermometer?

Any thoughts? Open to any and all suggestions.

Matt.

I'd second both of the above. I airbrush in the garage: in the summer, when it's hot and humid, I need more retarder to prevent tip-dry on the airbrush, and gritty paint on the model; in the winter when it's very cold and dry, it can take an age for the paint to start to dry.

16°C would be a great compromise, and a radiant, fan-assisted heater with a thermostat would do the job nicely. Just make sure to aim any warm air draughts away from the spraying area. Ask how I know ;).

For good gloss colour cover I never go below 21 degrees. Undercoat/primer about 20 degrees, and the rattle can warmed up to above that in a small bucket of very warm water. Matt finish is ok at about 20 degrees. Irrespective if acrylic or enamels.

16-20 works for me. The main problems I found were;

1. (Sweden) Never let the temperature were you keep your paint drop below zero. If it does then, unless you are very lucky, it is most likely that it will need to be replaced. Only a coupe of pots of enamel survived...

2. (Scotland and Portugal) Humidity. High humidity will play havoc with trying to get a good finish. I ended up purchasing a small dehumidifier and after working out the conditions that I needed to be aware of, had no problems, apart from my own inbuilt fudge-ups! Those conditions mentioned are easily summed up and visibly verifiable: Leave a soft-backed book were you work, (Osprey title, for inspiration, a novel for filling in between jobs, etc.). If the uppermost cover starts to curl up then switch on the dehumidifier. Just remember to drain the collection tank...

Christian the Married and exiled to africa, where the biggest problem is NO paint!!!