Virgin Galactics SpaceShip2 has crashed on test flight

RichardPrice

This is just terrible. Space flight is dangerous, but you always hope..... I feel for the family and his friends.

Aircraft exploded upon rocket ignition, apparently - they'll want to be sure that is fixed before sending 'the public' up. I imagine this will delay that for a few years...

Sad, but steps forward in aviation have seen lot of setbacks over the last 100 years.

In the 20's they tried to stop the first direct East to West Atlantic crossing after fatalities from a number of previous attempts failed or disappeared.

How different the world would be if that had not been accomplished.

And on a slightly different viewpoint, aircraft do crash, there was a Hawker Hunter crash in the US yesterday that killed the pilot, not really reported, but shows flying like all forms of transport will always have a risk attached.

Paul

• Like 1

My hunch is the pilot who escaped may have been THROWN out rather than jumped - and was lucky to remain conscious and pull his ripcord. The other pilot was not so lucky.

I do not think that Spaceship 2 was fitted with ejection seats.

Edited by Eric Mc

No explosion but an aerodynamic break up caused by the feathering system activating at the wrong point in the flight plan. It seems that the lock for the feathering mechanism was disengaged at Mach 1 causing the feathering to activate.This is prohibited at Mach 1.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/spaceshiptwo-broke-up-after-tail-feathers-moved-405526/

Just spoken with my father, an ex designer from the same era as Burt Rutan, and his view is that the problem with this project is the idea of carrying fare paying passengers which moves it into a different league of certification.

For myself a return to supersonic passenger flight across the Atlantic would be a good achievement

Edited by roys

No explosion but an aerodynamic break up caused by the feathering system activating at the wrong point in the flight plan. It seems that the lock for the feathering mechanism was disengaged at Mach 1 causing the feathering to activate.This is prohibited at Mach 1.

Not unlike the Challenger - the Orbiter more or less survived the External Tank exploding beneath it; what caused it to break up was when it tried to fly sideways at Mach 3.

Amazing when you think about it, if anything extends at that speed then something catastrophic is bound to happen, so if it's the undercarriage or the airbrakes - in this case the wings are designed to tilt downwards - well you don't have to be a rocket scientist to imagine what happens. Which is why such bits and bobs should be physically locked - never mind electronics, bits of chunky metal, to prevent unintende extension - because if it can happen, it will happen. Maybe someone has forgotten the basics of test flying?

Very sad but at least the powerplant is not at fault - a la Space Shuttle SRB's - and it should be relatively simple to fix but a lot of testing will be needed t make sure that Sods Law is banished.

Simon

It's not the speed, it's the air.

The tails are designed to be feathered at a higher speed than they actually were (Mach 1.4 vs. Mach 1). When the spacecraft is at the higher speed, it's at the top of its arc into sub-orbital space, and there is considerably less atmosphere to contend with. Once feathered, and with altitude decreasing, the increased drag from the feathered tails slows the craft down and prevents undesirable thermal effects.

It would appear that the tails extended (for an unknown reason at this point) at a much lower altitude while the craft was still climbing and accelerating.

The tails tilt upward, by the way.

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...