AIRFIX TRISTARS

Nice ones,.....I have a soft spot for the old Timmy and I remember trying to make an RAF one from the Airfix kit very poorly as a teenager! Hand brushed Humbrol enamel white slopped everywhere and an un masked blue cheatline with roundels from my very poorly stocked spare decal box,...eurghh!

So to see two beauties make from this same kit is very nice indeed,.....really well done,

Cheers

ony

Writing as an ex Cally Flt Engineer, I can tell you that you have made a quite obvious mistake on your Cally -100 model. One of the thrust reversers was normally firmly stuck in the 'deployed' position after landing, requiring much sweaty 'percussion' to get it stowed again...

Only jesting, two very nice models indeed.

Nige B

• Like 1

My god, a frightening sight, a Saudia Tristar!

brought me out in a cold sweat!

Travelled on many of these "Inshallah air" aircraft in KSA, had some frightening moments as they were not the best maintained aircraft you would ever see.

Highlights were flying from Jeddah to Abha, On takeoff saw a line of pulled rivets in the starboard leading edge sucked up by air pressure, and spent the flight watching them drop out one by one.

Reported it to the crew, pilot decided it wasn't a problem!

Second was a Tristar that had an undercarriage problem, in that it wouldn't go up. They decided to lock the wheels in the down position until they got spare parts, that aircraft flew around in service for about a month before they decided to fix it!

The normal Saudia practice of "prayers for the traveller" on the cabin loudspeakers on take off did not inspire confidence either..................!

Happy days (not)!

Selwyn

• Like 4

My god, a frightening sight, a Saudia Tristar!

brought me out in a cold sweat!

Travelled on many of these "Inshallah air" aircraft in KSA, had some frightening moments as they were not the best maintained aircraft you would ever see.

Highlights were flying from Jeddah to Abha, On takeoff saw a line of pulled rivets in the starboard leading edge sucked up by air pressure, and spent the flight watching them drop out one by one.

Reported it to the crew, pilot decided it wasn't a problem!

Second was a Tristar that had an undercarriage problem, in that it wouldn't go up. They decided to lock the wheels in the down position until they got spare parts, that aircraft flew around in service for about a month before they decided to fix it!

The normal Saudia practice of "prayers for the traveller" on the cabin loudspeakers on take off did not inspire confidence either..................!

Happy days (not)!

Selwyn

hi selwyn, hope you have calmed down now, i built it because i liked the livery but it just goes to show how deceptive looks can be. cheers michael.

Now that's what I call a sight for sore eyes. Gorgeous builds of a Gorgeous airliner. I remember fondly watching Caledonian Tristar's from the roof of the Multistory at Manchester Airport with my Grandad. Wonderful days I would love to go back to one day if I can.

Great stuff ;)

Lovely builds Michael, but then I've always been a sucker for the Saudia scheme.

I've an Airfix Tristar in the stash but have always been too chicken to make a start on it. Your two builds have made me think I can actually do something with it.

Cheers

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Very nice.

There is a Saudia Tristar at the Riyadh museum.

You can see it on Google earth.

I pass it on the way to work.

I'll see if it's Hotel Juliet tomorrow.

Selwyn, Things have improved since then.

Though I did hear about the locked down gear.

The food is better too!

Pete

Lovely models, nicely built!

Thankfully I don't have to worry about getting them to the runway in time for their ATC slot whilst also trying to factor in their unpredictable serviceability anymore. They always seemed to be going tech! Pushback to start and taxi seemed to take place at a glacial rate, usually blocking a busy taxiway much to everyone's amusement.

After Cally got rid of theirs, I thought that was it until Peach Air and Air Atlanta arrived with theirs...oh joy...

One flight I had on a Delta L10-11, from LAX to Honolulu, we had taxi'ed out to what should have been the beginning of the take off roll. After sitting for a bit ( blocking that runway ) the captain announced that he could not get the top engine started, and we are returning to the gate. Two minutes later he comes on again, as we are turning around, to say it had just started after all, so we were good to go.

He had to go to some lengths to explain that, now that it had started, there was no danger of it stopping, and you could hear it in his voice "If I had just delayed telling them anything for two minutes, I wouldn't be in this position now".

We all stayed quiet duiring take off, but once up, the bar was opened, and we were headed to Hawaii after all, so what's a faulty engine among friends?

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1