I wasn't sure how my style of aircraft modelling would go down in the main forum, but Procopius seemed to think it was OK, so here goes:

ComradeLenny01Smaller_zps967961f5.jpg

ComradeLenny02Smaller_zpsd60bee3f.jpg

ComradeLenny03Smaller_zps0a31e7fb.jpg

ComradeLenny04Smaller_zps0473cda2.jpg

ComradeLenny05Smaller_zps62331b22.jpgRedNieuport006-Smaller_zpsf7db16d7.jpg

NieuportandBeobachtungspanzer-Smaller_zp

NieuportProp-Smaller_zps82c95b63.jpg

NieuportPropCowlingDryRun-Smaller_zpsd85

VictoryToTheWorkersII-smaller_zpsf720cc2

I have taken massive liberties with the scheme.....Apologies to the purists, this is for a diorama and it's meant to be fun (and to learn some new techniques)! :sorry:

I once joked that you would never paint a biplane using the same techniques that you would on a tank.....Then I had a think about it and decided it might be fun to find out the truth of the matter! :winkgrin:

I also need to learn rigging and I can prevaricate no longer.....Whether there will be further updates to this build rather depends on the behaviour of my spiders! :spider:

Wish me luck, it's my first time! :pray:

• Like 6

Well I, for one, think that looks great. Fantastic work - especially on the prop. Can I ask how you achieved the wood effect - and in 1/72! The pilot looks great too! I look forward to more.

Cheers fellas! :D

I started the prop with a really pale but warm acrylic sand colour, gave it a couple of coats of Klear, then I added miniscule dots of raw oil paint (Burnt Sienna/Burnt Umber) with a needle. These were carefully dragged out using a fine brush very slightly moistened in thinners. I did it pretty much all in one go, but were I doing it again I'd be inclined to do the center first, let it settle and then do the tips, it's very easy to trash what you've already done.

• Like 2

Love it! Using a black line between the colours on the figure gives it a lot more definition. I keep a fine line black pen handy for that sort of thing, but I've never used it to add facial hair!

Regards,

Adrian

PS if you are painting it like a tank, please remember to NOT add armour chips to the canvas covering...

Edited by AdrianMF
  • Like 1

Yup and I have to remember to be sensible with the glue too as 'texturing the armour' won't wash with this one either! :winkgrin:

I do my black-lining and facial hair with a fine brush and acrylics.....I've had issues with fine marker lines turning purple! :shutup:

I'm still hoping to use AFV style weathering on it.....Could someone tell me where the exhaust of this thing is? :shrug:

Nice job so far!

These rotary engines had no exhaust pipes, the exhaust exited directly from the engine. The little open pipes often seen just behind the engine, about half way up the fuselage, were inlets for the carb. Oil system was total loss, so most of your weathering will be the oil stains under the fuselage - the "V" shaped notch under the nose was to channel the used oil under the machine.

Ian

• Like 2

I always put an ad in the local rag for a team of trapeze artist greenflies when I have some complex rigging to do. The only payment they ask is a small saucer of rose sap. The Nieuport is easy rigging. Nice moustache on the pilot. looks like Dick Dastardly. Keep going on it, nice to see different schemes

No, don't! This is a very easy kit to rig, and a huge confidence booster. Probably the easiest good guy plane you can expect to try it on. How were you planning on doing it?

• 2 weeks later...

My attempts at rigging a Gladiator are here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963537-airfix-172-gloster-gladiator-dh-tiger-moth-and-hawker-hurricane/page-2

I just cut lengths of wire and glue them in place with PVA glue. I'm not overly happy with the result. I like using the wire, but it is a pain cutting a piece and then trimming it to fit.. Going to give Jessica's method a go next time.

Very nice model Sarg, the pilot is exceptional.

Stephen