1/48th Eduard Spitfire, and wing leading edge rivets...

Troy Smith

I just got an Eduard Spitfire, what is it with all the rivets ON THE WING LEADING EDGE!

The D section leading edge was of thicker gauge metal, and rivetted flush, which were filled, and rubbed down, and are for all intents and purposes invisible on the real thing. The other wing rivets were also flush, but as the metal was thinner, tend show as slight dishing in the metal.

This was mentioned by Peter Cooke when his drawings were published in Scale Models back in 1979!

Yeah, I know, I know... fill them.... But a point I'd not seen mentioned before, and thought worth a mention.

Just to show what I mean.

Seafire, bit worn, note leading edge, and general lack of rivets visible, also on cowling panels.

2527522690_8dd6b585b4.jpg

clear well lit wartime colour shot, note the slight dishing on thinner skinning, which the Eduard rivets replicate quite well if a little prominent, but in the right places only...

11119961963_9829cf7a2c_z.jpg

Couldn't find a clear wartime picture of the leading edges though.

Anyone got better photos?

On most kits now days the rivets are not a realistic representation, just like a lot of the panel lines. Also a lot of manufactures don't actually place all the rivets in the same positions as the real thing ( and Trumpeter totally makes them up!). I'd personally not have any rivet in 1/48th or smaller, expect raised ones.

On most kits now days the rivets are not a realistic representation, just like a lot of the panel lines. Also a lot of manufactures don't actually place all the rivets in the same positions as the real thing ( and Trumpeter totally makes them up!). I'd personally not have any rivet in 1/48th or smaller, expect raised ones.

Completely agree. For some reason this strange obsession has developed were every rivet, bolt and panel line has to be represented in perfectly highlighted detail to produce a 'realistic' finish.

To my eye it does quite the opposite and makes a model look like a mere caricature of the real aircraft... seen any recent CGI renderings of aircraft in films... Red Tails anyone?

Hopefully it's a phase that will eventually pass?