An Airfix 110... How original!

I'll be building Airfix's bf 110 E/E2 trop kit.

This one:

110eboxtop.jpg

(sorry to nab you photos again Paul)

I'm not going to do any sprue shots because:

1. I'm really bad at them

2. Paul A H has done a wonderful job in his review on the kit here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/58807-messerschmitt-bf-110-ee2-trop/

It looks like a nice kit, if a bit simple. This will be an OOB build that takes far longer than it should, because I have 1 day a week to work on my models. That being said, it shouldn't be too hard to finish the kit in time for the GB.

Any advice about this particular kit would be appreciated. If the other recent Airfix kits are anything to go by, this should be a delightful ad trouble free build (please don't let me be wrong here!)

K

• Like 3

Well... I love this kit. It's not shake and bake, but it builds up very easily and quickly. I started on the build around noon today, and well, I'm 1/3? or so of the way there.

I've had a few issues, mostly caused by my being silly and breaking my strictly OOB rule. You'll see what I mean.

Now, the important bit:

PA260102_zps01c9c63b.jpg

First up was the landing gear bays and the underwing radiators. a smidge of filler blended them in nicely.

PA260089_zps0fca6c62.jpg

Cockpit assembly begins. I've used foil to cover a awkwardly place mold tower.

PA260099_zps04b845e6.jpg

My siliness... I tried to eliminate the visible interior of the wing root...

PA260100_zps5ca6c439.jpg

Here's the cockpit all painted. I managed to avoid any extra detailing.

PA260104_zps4a257583.jpg

All joined up. At this point, it seemed like the cockpit was a little wide...

PA260105_zps1c5d88af.jpg

and a dry-fit proved it... much scraping ensued :(

PA270107_zps1aa26bb3.jpg

Last of all for today came the guns. I haven't used the ones intended for this version because one of the barrels was broken off.

Any comment, question, or anything really is welcome.

K

:pilot:

I hope Airfix have improved the decals, when the kit was first released they were milky, thick and generally not at all good. I like the way, and speed of the build progression!

Max

Thanks Max,

Do you mean the first release of a 110 (aka, the c), or the first release if the 110e?

I hope the decals don't let me down, as I haven't got any spare 1:72 Luftwaffe decals.

K

Edited by kwaterous

I meant when the Bf110C2 kit was first released a couple or so years ago. I did a review for Scale Modelling Now and really it was my major area of criticism:

"I liked the build of the Airfix kit, the consideration that has gone into making it easy for the modeller to achieve a creditable model was clear throughout and its accuracy compares very favourably with the other two of the same scale. Would I build another one, or recommend it – most definitely! Would I attempt to use the decals provided…….oh no! Mr Airfix, you have to address this problem as soon as possible."

Max

Well, progress on this has been very fast (very very fast)...

I made some progress last night and I thought I ought to share...

PA270108_zpsb3a32ac5.jpg

Vertical tais. The is no way to guarantee a good angle on these. I taped them to a square until the plastic cement had set.

I also decided to try something I've never done before: Riveting. I just got a tool for it and decided to try it out.

PA310109_zps7d266715.jpg

I threw accuracy out the window in favour of visual interest. These were be toned down a bit before paint

Which brings us to... paint

PB020110_zps8cd3b045.jpgseeing as it's the first coat, and brush painted, I'm reasonably happy with it.

Comments etc. are welcome

K

• Like 2

Stew,

I did the rivets with a riveting wheel. I don't know what it was originally for, but it works...

I ran it along a ruler to keep the rivets straight.

I'll try to get a picture up of how they look under paint, but they're fairly subtle

K

Edited by kwaterous

• 1 month later...

I have been neglecting this thread, but not neglecting the build. I forgot to take any photos during the finishing of painting, decalling and early weathering stages, sorry.

The 110 is at the stage where small bits need to be added, and then she's done.

PC240051_zpse8608053.jpg

I think the wing weathering is a bit dark, I hope it will lighten up under a matt coat. you can also see in this picture that the left had vertical stabilizer and a propellor blade on the right have snapped off, this is because of an unintentional flight test.

PC240057_zps241703f3.jpg

Again, I'm hoping the exhaust staining will lighten up a bit.

PC240058_zps5ad1bbf3.jpg

An overall shot just to show the state of progress.

PC250060_zps8cee1db2.jpg

last up, a shot showing my incredibly high-tech jig for setting the UC doors, and that I've added the UC legs. note that exhausts and propellors have yet to be painted.

I apologize for the poor photos, I'm not much of a photographer.

Comments etc. are always welcome

K

• Like 1

Looking great.

How much of the wing root gab inside the cockpit you filled is visible? I was thinking doing the same on mine

I'm not sure how much is visible, as I can't see it anymore :winkgrin:

Maybe look at one of the threads where somebody didn't fill it and see what's visible. If you plan on filling it though, do some test fits that include the canopy, as I don't think mine is going to fit properly anymore.

Thanks galgos, but ill leave the design in the public domain :)

cheers guys,

K

I am a big fan of Luftwaffe aircraft in desert brown colour! Yours looks superb so far and the end result should be just great!

Aren't you worried to fit the canopy after the paint job?

Congrats

JR

Jean, thanks

As for the canopy, yes, I'm a little worried, but I'm going to paint it separately, then attatch it. If there are fit problems (there probably will be) I'll either leave them be or fix them ant touch up the paint. Touching up shouldn't be too hard, as it's not a paint I've mixed.

K

• 3 months later...

Well, this one failed to finish due to my buggering up the canopy. The paint was all over the place under the masking and it was just a plain it mess. I put it away for a bit, then decided to strip the canopy. That was done, and the canopy promptly fogged like nobody's business. I put it away for a bit once again. I then cleaned the canopy up as bed I could, the process involved some scraping and a whole bunch of Future. I've accepted the fact that the canopy will be a weak point on the kit, then re-masked it and gotten it ready for paint (again)

418438BC-FC25-4F34-B5D8-A381AF8909F0_zps

Masking was done by sticking tape to the canopy, pushing it down with a toothpick, then sanding on the frames until the tape sanded through. The whole canopy then got another dunk in Future.

Cheers,

K