Stew Dapple's Eduard 1/72 Bf110C Profipack edition 1/ZG76 Norway 1940

Poised and eager:

DSCN1603.jpg

I'm not sure what markings I will be going with, I have approximately 1 metric tonne of 110 decals in the bank so will have a sort through later and see what appeals... :D

For sprue shots etc. please see Woody's excellent review here

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

I always like to do one "Made in Germany, Finished in England", myself. I built the sharkmouth option OOB, and as you likely already know, the instructions tell you to use the wrong part immediately abaft the canopy for that one. That's the extent of any advice I have for you, but I stand ready to cheer you on!

• Like 1

Thanks PC, I'll pay attention to my references; for the record, are we talking about the gunner's rear window with the MG cut-out (or not as the case may be)?

Cheers,

Stew

No, there's a...it's a...I know, why don't I look at the instructions! They tell you to use part B35 for the rear roof of the fuselage abaft the gunner's seat; but there's another part like B35 that has a recessed area for the stowed gun. It's, uh, been a while.

• Like 1

No, there's a...it's a...I know, why don't I look at the instructions! They tell you to use part B35 for the rear roof of the fuselage abaft the gunner's seat; but there's another part like B35 that has a recessed area for the stowed gun. It's, uh, been a while.

Thanks mate, I had restrained myself from looking at the sprues but I see the part you mean and I think I may have missed it otherwise :thumbsup2: I shall be on my guard :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

Does this kit come with the markings for the 'Iraqi' Bf-110s.....And if you are not using them, could I beg/borrow/buy/barter for them? :hmmm:

It does! Threw mine out, or you'd be welcome to mine.

Does this kit come with the markings for the 'Iraqi' Bf-110s.....And if you are not using them, could I beg/borrow/buy/barter for them? :hmmm:

Hi Sarge,

No, strangely enough mine hasn't got the Iraq insurgency decals, the 5 options are all 'official' Luftwaffe schemes, 3 from different ZG76 gruppen, one from ZG26 and one from NJG3 - I would be happy to oblige you if it were otherwise but I haven't even got those markings amongst those in my decal bank...

The only place I remember seeing them was (I think) in the Eduard Bf110E Profipack and in the DP Casper set here though I would imagine that would be hard to find now... :shrug: but if you can prevail upon someone building the Eduard 110E you might get lucky.

Cheers,

Stew

Well it's worth keeping an eye on evilbay, I got my 110c/d Profipack for about the usual going rate for the Weekend edition.

However I think your cheapest option would be to buttonhole someone building the E version on this group build, I can't imagine the 'Iraqi' version would be the first choice for most modellers given that the options also include sharkmouth and wasp-nosed decals :D (we need a sharkmouth smiley)

Cheers,

Stew

I'm a bit confused.....Everything I'm seeing other than the Eduard kit seems to think these 'Iraqi' 110s should be D-3s.....I already have the Italeri C/D kit with an Eduard etch set but sadly it has no canopy. I also have the Airfix C/D, which has almost no interior. I was hoping to combine the two to get the best from each and slap a set of 'Iraqi' markings on it for a bit of interest.

Do I actually need an E (other than for the decals) or am I OK with what I have? :shrug:

PS - I had absolutely no idea there was a 110 group build going on (or that I was posting in it).....I suppose joining in might be the polite thing to do under the circumstances. :winkgrin:

Hmm I'm not sure Sarge, but I believe the main visible difference between the D and E models was in the weapons loadout anyway, so it would probably be academic whether you use a D or E kit... you might want to get that verified by those more knowledgeable though :shrug:

If you post here or PM smuts or vppelt68 I'm sure they will welcome you aboard this group build :)

Cheers,

Stew

I´ve never thought that a Britmodeller GB would be limited in any other way as if the subject just fits the theme, so of course you´re welcome Sarge! And I do have Eduard Iraqi decals that I don´t need - wanna swap them with the A option 3U+LT of your D kit? PM if you´re interested. Regards, V-P

• Like 2

Right, I have decided that I will be building the Bf110C-1 with the callsign M8+FH of 1/ZG76 flown by Unteroffizier Helmut Mütschele (Pilot) and Gefreiter Karl Lorey (Bordfunker) which was shot down on 09/04/1940 by Sergeant Kristian Fredrik Schye of the Royal Norwegian Air Force in Gloster Gladiator No.427.

This is the aircraft in question

I can cobble together the necessary markings using a rather ancient Superscale Decal set no. 72-722:

DSCN1609.jpg

... along with the stencils etc. from the kit.

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

Right, I started off by doing something that I hadn't been looking forward to; the canopy masking - Eduard provides a comprehensive pre-cut kabuki mask for the Profipack kit and there is no doubt that it is much quicker, easier and most likely much more effective than what I might do myself with masking tape and a scalpel... but even so, on an entertainment scale picking the tiny pieces of tape off the backing sheet and sticking them to the clear parts correctly ranks about -7 with do-it-myself masking ranking about -9 and painful death by multiple spider bites being -10.

Still I have already made some headway - I also added a couple of strips to the inside of the gunner's side windows as there is a diagonal internal frame which is engraved on the inside of the canopy and which needs to be painted RLM02 - this will be much easier to see and to paint before the outside mask for the window is stuck on:

DSCN1611.jpg

So all being well I will get that painted when there is sufficient daylight and then wrap up the canopy masking; after that I can get started on the cockpit :)

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3

Thanks mate, I had restrained myself from looking at the sprues but I see the part you mean and I think I may have missed it otherwise :thumbsup2: I shall be on my guard :)

Funny, I was just making the same discovery about the 1/48 kit.

Right, I started off by doing something that I hadn't been looking forward to; the canopy masking

Now THAT is an unusual place to start!

bob

I'll be watching this one Stew, I'm not familiar with the 1/72nd model though I thought the 1/48th unnecessarily complicated with the number of parts. Good luck in this scale, I know I couldn't do it any more! :)

Max

• Like 1

Ha, well the canopy masking can be done independently of everything else, and I like to get as much unpleasantness out of the way as possible before I get properly started... :D

Cheers,

Stew

I think I might follow your lead Stew!

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1