Arab MiGs Vol.5 & Beyond the Horizont: History of AEW&C Aircraft

Tom Cooper

If nobody minds, I would like to announce two new books released by Harpia Publishing the last week:

Arab MiGs, Volume 5 (clicky for animated preview!)

Yup, already the 5th volume in this quite popular series that's covering the story of Arab air forces that became involved in wars with Israel (one way or the other).

As usually, 'MiGs' of all sorts have the leading word and then in unprecedented depth: from simple MiG-17Fs and all possible variants of MiG-21s in service with Egyptian, Iraqi, and Syrian air forces, to Soviet-flown MiG-25RBs (stationed in Egypt, 1971-1972). But, don't worry: Sukhois, Ilyushins, Mils and even (Iraqi) Hunters are covered in all detail necessary. Furthermore, there are sub-chapters providing extensive coverage of Egyptian and Syrian air defence forces and their equipment (i.e. SA-2s, SA-3s, and SA-6s).

The first two chapters are spanning the period 1971-1973 and thus act as a sort of introduction to the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War. Chapters 3, 4 and 5 are covering combat operations on 6, 7 and 8 October 1973 - in unprecedented depth when it comes to Egypt, Syria and Iraq.

There are five Appendices, including a big one summarizing all known deliveries of MiG-21s to Arab countries in period 1961-1973 (with exclusive details about production of MiG-21s too!); one summarizing deliveries of Aero L-29 Delfins to Iraq 1968-1974; one with photos of almost all of brigade- and squadron-COs of Egyptian Air Force in October 1973 War; and one (something for history buffs) providing highly interesting scans/photos of log-books of several Arab MiG-pilots.... but....

...I guess - and sincerely hope - modellers are going to love the Appendix V: this is containing no less but 54 brand new colour profiles of Egyptian, Iraqi and Syrian combat aircraft and helicopters that took part in that war (more than two times the usual number from earlier volumes).

Namely, in response to plenty of calls for 'more artworks, more artworks', and demands for details on camo patterns and colour shades used (like recently during the MiG-21 GB on this forum), I've done whatever is humanly possible to illustrate this section as richly as meaningful. Correspondingly, those with 'special interest' in MiGs, Sukhois or Arab air forces are now going to become able of building entire squadrons of

- MiG-17s (8 Egyptian examples, 1 Iraqi, 2 Syrian);

- MiG-21s (12 Egyptian, 1 Iraqi and 10 Syrian);

- Su-7s (5 Egyptian, 3 Iraqi, and 1 Syrian);

- Su-17s (yes, 2 of 0-series Su-17s, as delivered to Egypt in 1972) and Su-20s (1 Syrian);

- Hunters (2 Iraqi),

- Tu-16s, MiG-25R/RBs, and

- Mi-8s (3 Egyptian, 1 Syrian).

Many of artworks include top-views, others 'at least' unit insignia or other - often 'new' and 'never seen before' details.

(And, should that not be enough for some:

- there is plenty of trully exclusive-, never published before photography in this volume, and

- Volume 6 - due out at this time in 2015 - is going to contain a similar dose of additional artworks, then there is still more to show, especially in regards of Syrian and Algerian MiG-17s, MiG-21s and Su-7s, but Egyptian MiG-21s too.)

The other new book is

Beyond the Horizont: History of AEW&C Aircraft (clicky for animated preview!)

If you ever wanted to know how AEW&C aircraft (and helicopters) came into being, what evolution they went through over the years, how are they used and what can they do, and - especially - what types are presently operational in what countries, this is your book.

Some of info in this book is so hot, sources had to request official permission for granting interviews. In other cases, there are types operated by air forces that are entirely unknown in the public (see the last-before-last page of the preview linked above for one example).

Now, this might not be entirely 'modeller's reference' style of books, but it does provide plenty of photos of all the mentioned aircraft and heliocopters - including quite a few of their insides too (there is an artwork of every type that ever entered service too).

Foremost, it's an excellent, catalogue-style and richly-illustrated summary of this much ignored, yet extremely important topic.

Both titles are about to hit shelves in the UK and elsewhere in Europe the next week. As usually, there will be a sort of 'book launch' at the Nationals in Telford (in less than two weeks), with at least Ian Shaw, David Nicolle and me - plus 1-2 authors of some of earlier titles of Harpia - attending.

Would be happy to see and chat with you there.

Edited by Tom Cooper
  • Like 2

Excellent, good to see another one of these out!

I'll add Vol 5 to my Xmas list, I'm still slowly working through the other volumes, there really is a lot of info crammed in those books.

Sadly I move house the weekend of SMW his year, so no chance to come a meet the author in person!

Oh my mistake... one of people I was especially looking forward to see there was you, Phil.

After your fantastic work on el-Mansouri's PFS, earlier this year, there would be quite a lot to talk about... :weep:

Hope, your moving will be not too problematic, though, and there will be another opportunity.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'll add them to my library.

/Bosse

Thanks Bosse, much appreciated: every cent earned is invested into more research and the next volume.

Neil,

looking forward to see you there. I'll be at the stand of the Aviation Bookshop most of the time, so not easy to miss (except during afternoons).

Phil,

sounds similar to the process I went through two years ago. Still setting up, but wouldn't change this 'cave' for anything any more. ;-P

• Like 1

NP Ian.

BTW, if you're bringing any modells there, please see to be few minutes early: you are going to need an extra table for them (because those that are usually available are all taken away by books - and even then too few in numbers). ;-)