Resin Zimmerit for 1/35 Tamiya Tiger 1?

DaveJL

Hello all,

I'm looking to get a 1/35 Tamiya Tiger for a future diorama plan, but I'd like to add Zimmerit to it. I've looked at the Eduard etch and it doesn't appeal to me so does anyone know where to get resin Zimmerit for the kit? I'm looking to get either a mid or late production model.

Or should I just spend a bit more and get a Dragon kit?

Cheers

Dave

How about the resin offerings from Atak?

I haven't tried them myself (but do have a set for the Jagdpanzer IV). I've seen quite a few modelers have positives comments on them.

zimmerit_35005_tiger_1_tamiya.jpg

Cavalier is another company that makes resin zimmerit, though not sure how ready available they are.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

How about the resin offerings from Atak?

I haven't tried them myself (but do have a set for the Jagdpanzer IV). I've seen quite a few modelers have positives comments on them.

zimmerit_35005_tiger_1_tamiya.jpg

Cavalier is another company that makes resin zimmerit, though not sure how ready available they are.

regards,

Jack

I've used Atak's resin Zimmerit, and it is a joy to use!

The Dragon late production Tiger I with zimmerit is probably the best kit on the market - metal barrel, lots of pe, magic tracks & Wonderland Models are selling it for £40!

Had a look there and it says it's for pre-order....does that mean it's out of stock? £40 might be too good to turn down!

I've used Atak's resin Zimmerit, and it is a joy to use!

Looks good and it's only £18 or so posted from Poland.

Tamiya do their own zimmerit product in the form of self adhesive sticker sheet. It's transparent which allows you to still fit external bits in the correct place.

75ec3f71c2965d3f145f0c228564fa47_zps1416

This is the zimmermit on a dragon late tiger.

4961e79c5e80e965a3a4121fae8300b2_zps52a2

Edited by Ozzy

Optionally there's always Mr.Surfacer and the Trumpeter zimmerit stamps and rollers? :shrug:

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/Trumpeter_Tools_for_Zimmerit_Coat_09916_about36644.html

Wouldn't have the skills or patience for that...

Tamiya do their own zimmerit product in the form of self adhesive sticker sheet. It's transparent which allows you to still fit external bits in the correct place.

75ec3f71c2965d3f145f0c228564fa47_zps1416

This is the zimmermit on a dragon late tiger.

4961e79c5e80e965a3a4121fae8300b2_zps52a2

That Dragon kit sure looks good. I can't imagine the Tamiya sheets having that much depth in detail as a resin set or the Dragon kit would provide?

Dave

Wouldn't have the skills or patience for that...

That Dragon kit sure looks good. I can't imagine the Tamiya sheets having that much depth in detail as a resin set or the Dragon kit would provide?

Dave

Thanks Dave,

i have had this kit in my stash for a while, now Dragon do a hole range of zimmermit covered kits. I was looking at a resin set for this kit, but couldn't find one for a command variant, so gave this product ago I don't know if the photos do it that much justice? The zimmermit is raised to a reasnable depth so when painted it gives the zimmermit effect. And it was fairly cheap, so if you do mess it up you can peel it off and start again.

Thanks I'll take a look at it. I do like the look of the Dragon kit though...

Dave

Dave,

I've built a couple of dragon tigers now, they go together really well. And look stunning, and now with a kit with zimmermit already applyed your quids in. The tracks for my latest project are the AFV track link set, those are the transport tracks I've built the normal tracks also from AFV club and are equally as good. I'm a bit of a dragon junkie myself, and will recommend them to anyone. Both my tigers are in the dio section.

Ozzy

Edited by Ozzy

I used milliput and the AFV club roller. Looks great, the only trouble is the turret which has the same style as the hull whereas it was done with a heavier roller on most Tigers. I think it gives a better result than the Dragon moulded Zimmerit. Certainly my Tamiya Panthers done using this method look better than the Dragon Panther G with the moulded zimm. Unfortunately I haven't any photos.

It's not as hard as it looks really. It took nearly as long to mask the scheme for a Hetzer as it took to zimmerit a Tiger, and you get the sense of satisfaction every time you do one part, unlike masking! The only tricky part is the mantlet, do one half, let it dry then do the other.

Stuart