DH.100 Vampire F.3 - 1/72 Special Hobby

Well I am not an enemy of weathering per se :)

But while I admit that it looks a bit dull, I dont quite understand how to weather an auxiliary squadron, high speed silver machine, without completely making up stuff... this is not natural metal..

the only hint of weathering which I saw on photos, is some light dirt/soot around the fasteners of the large fuselage panels on the fuselage top. I tried to mimic that. Apart from that, just some light neutral grey wash and that's it.

Seriously, what else? chipping the silver colour to reveal...ahem... silver colour? gunpowder stains around cannons which shot perhaps twice in their existence? or some typical Welsh desert sand on the tyres? ;)

Edited by pivokrevnik
  • Like 7

thank you,

it's Agama alcohol paint(so called Red Line). Not their polishable paste (which is also great but has other uses), but regular, liquid color.

Key is the surface preparation before spraying - some wet polishing with 1500 and 2500 papers. If used properly, I think Agama can rival Alclad II with almost no smell.

Less durable than Alclad though, I had to repair few spots where paint went off during handling, decaling etc. Normally Agama alcohol paints are very durable, here I think perhaps the surface is too smooth? Or I just have greasy fingers...

• Like 1

Firstly a great build, one anyone would be proud of.

Could you elaborate on the issues with the intakes ?

Lastly I think the level of weathering is perfect, I personally don't like heavily weathered aircraft, the weathering here is so subtle and captures the prototype very well.

Could you elaborate on the issues with the intakes ?

I (and others) already did in this thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234957793-xtrakit-vampire/?hl=vampire

The former intakes were a joke, the new ones are nearly perfect.

See, it does make sense to rant, as producers sometimes actually do react! ;) kudos to MPM for this.

• Like 1

Now that is a thing of great beauty!

Lastly I think the level of weathering is perfect, I personally don't like heavily weathered aircraft, the weathering here is so subtle and captures the prototype very well.

:ditto:

Cheers

John

Hi Pivo:

You have done really a wonderful and pristine model, I really liked a lot the way you worked she, very clean as a museum piece like really your model is, a museum piece, and with or without data the splendidness of your model is unquestionable!!!! I liked a lot!!!

Hope with a little luck, one day I'll have one in my stash and hope to finish it at least as half as nice as yours!!!

Thank you very much for sharing,

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso

• 2 weeks later...

Pivokrevnik meens something like "beerblooded", plnokrevnik in Czech means fullblooded (thoroughbred) horse.

It's not my nickname or something, I just thought it's a funny pun ;)

I was close then! :winkgrin:

• Like 1