06/24's modern armour workbench

06/24

And Maverickbiff, I'd love to see the progress on your build.

I stood in my LMS at lunchtime and contemplated getting an M2A3 to build in parallel, but in the end plumped for an M1083 with armoured cab. These two and the Abrams should keep me busy for a long while!

Watching with interest :)

I'm about 95% complete with the M2A3 BUSK. I don't know if it was my mistaking the instructions, or a little vagueness on their part, but I did encounter a few problems with mine. Biggest issue was the suspension system. The plans didn't really show how you were to attach them correctly, so by the time I figured it out I had major sag on the right side. I eventually had to glue all the suspension arms in place. Tracks had a similar problem in that they kept coming apart, so I glued them as well. Rest of the build was pretty straightforward, save for a piece on the engine (that little protruding part on the air filter that angles down) not fitting correctly and the hinge components being extremely weak (particularly on the rear door, which has been a bit of a nightmare).

They're exceptionally detailed kits, but some parts are a little finicky and fragile given their intention to move.

Gaz

• Like 1

Watching with interest :)

I'm about 95% complete with the M2A3 BUSK. I don't know if it was my mistaking the instructions, or a little vagueness on their part, but I did encounter a few problems with mine. Biggest issue was the suspension system. The plans didn't really show how you were to attach them correctly, so by the time I figured it out I had major sag on the right side. I eventually had to glue all the suspension arms in place. Tracks had a similar problem in that they kept coming apart, so I glued them as well. Rest of the build was pretty straightforward, save for a piece on the engine (that little protruding part on the air filter that angles down) not fitting correctly and the hinge components being extremely weak (particularly on the rear door, which has been a bit of a nightmare).

They're exceptionally detailed kits, but some parts are a little finicky and fragile given their intention to move.

Gaz

I don't recall any real hardships with the suspension, but then two years is a long time to forget any traumas!

I've started some detail painting on the engine and transmission components, and fixed the drivers compartment bulkhead:

29060310826_4eabe60aee_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28987988362_b0eea14f36_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29093072995_0659b4432f_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Once again, at this stage it’s all straight form the box. I’m in two minds whether or not to fit the engine, since with the ERA blocks I might well just have the engine bay closed, and any diorama or display settings I have in mind don’t really call for a maintenance scenario. If I could find some pictures of replacement engines on pallets, I could use the bits as a load for my M1083 that’s waiting in the wings.

If I do decide to install it all, then I think the transmission needs to change colour, I know this is an ‘A2 not an ‘A3 but I suspect it’s a decent guide:

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m3bradley.html#ENGINE

• Like 5

I've started some detail painting on the engine and transmission components, and fixed the drivers compartment bulkhead:

29060310826_4eabe60aee_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28987988362_b0eea14f36_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

29093072995_0659b4432f_c.jpgDrivers bulkhead and transmission by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Once again, at this stage it’s all straight form the box. I’m in two minds whether or not to fit the engine, since with the ERA blocks I might well just have the engine bay closed, and any diorama or display settings I have in mind don’t really call for a maintenance scenario. If I could find some pictures of replacement engines on pallets, I could use the bits as a load for my M1083 that’s waiting in the wings.

If I do decide to install it all, then I think the transmission needs to change colour, I know this is an ‘A2 not an ‘A3 but I suspect it’s a decent guide:

http://afvdb.50megs.com/usa/pics/m3bradley.html#ENGINE

I originally intended to have the engine bay open on my M2A3, but then it didn't fit with my eventual plan for a diorama. The engine is fully painted, although the radiator(?) I think I painted the wrong colour, red instead of blue. Although I had seen some pics of this particular engine painted like that, and in numerous colours.

• Like 2

Would really like to find a drawing of the pallet/stand these engine/transmission units are delivered and serviced on. Not much progress today, as 06/24 junior has being building an M1A1, so the tool kit has been borrowed.

• Like 1

Would really like to find a drawing of the pallet/stand these engine/transmission units are delivered and serviced on. Not much progress today, as 06/24 junior has being building an M1A1, so the tool kit has been borrowed.

I've spotted a few pics of what might be very simple stands for them, but they aren't very clear. I did, however, find two pics of a Bradley engine sitting inside the lower half of what looks like a transportation container.

vta_by_moab23-daerb5v.jpg

Gaz

• Like 1

I meanwhile have come up against the TOW tubes, lots of boring repitition to come:

29080925936_af1d647541_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The business end is progressing slowly:

29008076372_0272254c30_c.jpgUntitled by jongwinnett, on Flickr

In the end I decided to fit the engine and transmission but since the hood will be closed, I'm not going to add any extra details.

• Like 4

As a break from the fiddly interior details, I did my own easy kit today - the Trumpeter ISO 20ft Container.

Now as some of you know, I'm partial to trains as well as tanks and planes, and intermodal containers are very much a part of the modern rail scene. I therefore know that the Trumpeter box contains one major flaw, which as far as I know, none of the reviewers has picked up on.

So, what do you get?

The box itself is made up of six hefty mouldings, no flash and only some attachment points to clean up. The parts are keyed so cannot be assembled in the wrong order without an inordinate amount of brute force.

28566688393_3028a41efe_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Assembly was quick, with the clamps only as insurance (I also used a small engineers square to ensure the first end went on perpendicular to the floor).

28564202004_617d237c4d_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Once the shell is constructed, eight door catches need to be added to the ends, and four fork lift reinforcements to the base.

29186441025_90debbbe0a_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Then it’s the doors.

28898584080_8381312804_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Each consists of 13 parts, some of which are very small!

29153409036_c799f12f39_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

The finished effect is nicely three-dimensional, and I look forward to trying some weathering to portray the hard knock life these boxes lead.

28567183323_61e0fa5435_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

28567182553_57ff778a94_c.jpg20ft ISO box by Trumpeter by jongwinnett, on Flickr

And the error? Well count the ribs on the sides. There are 22. The real thing has 20. Not sure how Trumpeter messed this up since presumably they look at enough of the real thing, but it’s impossible to correct without scratch building whole new sides. A quick google for images of the Italeri equivalent suggests they have also added too many ribs. Not an uncommon fault – at least one UK model train manufacturer has done the same. If anyone ever comes across a photo of a 20ft box with 22 ribs you would make me a very happy man, but for now I will live with the discrepancy.

• Like 2

Trumpeter supply transfers for a China Shipping branded example. All good, but they would have you paint the box itself a reddish brown. Now I know that is a common colour for containers, but I have never seen a China Shipping box in anything other than a mint green, which I believe is BS4800 reef green/orion.

I didn't have that exact colour to hand (although i guess I could have asked Halfords to mix some up) but a I went for a Plastikote spray that was in a similar shade, with a faded effect, although perhaps not quite as blue as I might have liked.

29174602956_8f01729e29_c.jpgChina Shipping 20ft ISO container in 1/35 by jongwinnett, on Flickr

Transfers tonight or tomorrow I hope, but I may leave weathering for now, as I need a demo piece to take to Scale Scotland next weekend - if you're coming along say hi!

• Like 1

I have read that the US alone had 100,000 TEU of containers in Afghanistan when drawdown commenced. A significant proportion of these would have been commercial as well as the services own boxes.

Nice build Jon (even if it has't any wings). I read somewhere that, for every five of these that come into the UK full, three leave empty...

I think you should take PC's advice and (post show - good luck for that) add some graffiti. I used to be mad on this and had all the books in my yoof.

I've just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find something suitable that doesn't have swear words in it, to no avail. Rats.

• Like 1

Nice build Jon (even if it has't any wings). I read somewhere that, for every five of these that come into the UK full, three leave empty...

I think you should take PC's advice and (post show - good luck for that) add some graffiti. I used to be mad on this and had all the books in my yoof.

I've just spent an inordinate amount of time trying to find something suitable that doesn't have swear words in it, to no avail. Rats.

My favourite piece of graffiti that I've seen was a very ornate set of words that were indecipherable, by which someone had written "I can't read what you wrote :(" in sharpie.

• Like 3

I've done graffiti a few times on rail cars (models, not the real thing) and it's surprisingly therapeutic :) - when I'm at a PC not a tablet I'll try and dig out a photo.

AGM of my model railway club tonight and somehow I've ended up as treasurer. Even more time away from the workbench!

• Like 2