DH MOSQUITO FB.IV COCKPIT STENCIL MYSTERY?

Nottheredbaron

Hi everybody, Would this lettering(below)come from the cockpit and house maybe the compass?

I don't think it is outer airframe, would it be? If it is situated in the cockpit,are there any photos of it sitting in the cockpit?

Please can anybody help clear this up?

Thank you for your time, Don

'A DELICATE INSTRUMENT

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE
DO NOT DROP OR JAR'

White stencilled letters on black background on alu shell.

Usually seen on instruments especially things like artificial horizons, gyro compasses and the magnetic compass.

On all the 1950's Naval types I've worked on it is marked "Handle like eggs" I'm still unsure as to the meaning of that one.

Should I treat it very gently or use it for an omelette!

On all the 1950's Naval types I've worked on it is marked "Handle like eggs" I'm still unsure as to the meaning of that one.

Should I treat it very gently or use it for an omelette!

That was the exact wording ? Sounds like a John Cleese idea...I'd like my compass with ham, please.

HI John,

Yeah, I have not made it very clear. I am wanting to find out where this item was situated ( presumably) in the cockpit area, with the lettering (A delicate instr..) stencilled on a black painted aluminium cylindrical 'case' which was fitted to the aircraft. The size would be approx. 33 x 14 cm. I presume your suggesting that it was situated at the rear where the navigator sat? Do you know what is in the bottom right hand corner of your photo? I have found this stencilling on numerous aircraft instrument boxes, but this is different. Would it have anything to do with the secret radar fitted to these aircraft for the first time?

Don

P.S. 'B.IV' Thanks for the photo. I am new to this, should have specified (quoted) which member, but really should have ignored it.

Edited by Nottheredbaron

Likeliest is the artificial horizon (top centre of the "basic six" on the main panel,) since it uses a gyro for balance, and any jar can bend/break the pivots or "ball dent" the bearings.

02of_inst_panel_005-640x480_zps045597aa.

Edited by Edgar
  • Like 1

Nottheredbaron

Your own post is a little ambiguous. How big is this "alu shell" and what shape? The words could easily be on a navigators sextant case. B.1V or FB.V1

John

Mosquitomuseum011_zps37898786.jpg

Is that a drift meter just forward of entrance door in this pic?

Andy

Thanks very much for the photo. Is that the one with the round transparent disc on the front and a pipe coming from the bottom left hand corner?

That's the one; the pipe carries air, since the gyro is air-driven, not electrical.

I never actually worked on one, and it's at least 9 years since I last handled one, so forgive me for not being able to be that precise; all I can remember is that it took both hands to pick one up.

Don,

With only 7 posts as of this moment, you might want to get more familiar with the place (and the nutters who hang out here) before you start laying down the law. And it IS a public (more or less) forum, so it can be a bit anarchic. And yet, you got some really good help in short order with a fairly particular question.

I would also recommend the FlyPast Forum for this sort of question- as an additional resource, I mean, not "instead of here".

bob

Andy

Yes that is a Drift sight to the right of the photo.

Edgar- Can you send me an email as I've lost yours in my last computer change. Send it just before Telford to remind me and I'll bring those Spitfire Harness drawings back to you.

Regards

John

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

Can anybody confirm that this stencilled casing comes from a Mosquito? And can anyone provide me a clear picture or drawing of this part and its location? I have a similar part. Can Nottheredbaron contact me please.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Greetings