1/700 French battleship Richelieu

History.

Laid down in late 1935, the Richelieu-class fast battleships were essentially scaled up versions of the Dunkerque-class and retained the arrangement of the entire main battery placed in the forward position in two quadruple turrets. The ships were designed as a planned class of four in response to the the Italian Littorio-class, were well protected and could make around 30 knots. Richelieu and Jean Bart were completed during WWII and participated under both Vichy and Allied control; Clemenceau was never completed; Gascogne was cancelled before being laid down.

The kit.

The Model is by Trumpeter and is based on the 1943 configuration. The brass railing is a mixture of White Ensign Models' 1/700 rails and ladders set, plus some leftover parts from some Dragon kits. Although the painting instructions show the wooden deck as being painted dark grey I decided to go with a more natural look. Unfortunately at the time I couldn't find an after-market wooden deck that would have improved the appearance of the model.

DSC02018.jpg

DSC02020.jpg

DSC02021.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

DSC02024.jpg

Thanks for looking; as always any comment or questions are most welcome.

Regards, Ross.

• Like 10

Thanks for the kind words everyone. The look of that particular class grew on me as the build progressed; I'd even rate her alongside the Hood and Roma as far as nice lines go.

Cheers, Ross.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. Time now to finish off my Titanic and decide what ship to do next; I'm tempted to do Zvezda's 1/350 Borodino as it's something a little different from the post-Dreadnought warships, with black hull paint and a hint of tumblehome.

Ross.

• Like 1