FREE - Spitfire 1/48 Masks

Sean_M

After some effort I have completed a set of vinyl masks "B" pattern. I can do "A" by a simple invert. I have done the markings for ZP-A so have 1940 Roundels. I am looking for testers to comment, use a set of masks and send me pics with feedback and comments. I'll pay for the postage of the masks. Please PM if you are about to start a Spit build and are serious about being a tester. I am looking for people who can critique and give suggestions, as modellers how to improve, change, etc. No immediate plans to market said masks but who knows....

I wanted something better than decals and the freedom to customise my paint schemes. I have tried to stay true to actual Spitfire camo issued during the start of the war. I have done my best also co compare as many B&W photos as possible. I have yet to do some instructions but its not that complicated.

I hope this is in the right place and is not offensive to the group.

• Like 3

Sean, I am guessing these are intended for those who use an airbrush? Sadly I am a wielder of the hairy stick (3rd class) so I imagine I am not much help to you.

SImon,

now that is an interesting question. It depends of you mask you camo pattern. As the vinyl is stuck down, I don't see why you can't use a mask. I still have an array of "hairy sticks" with their own box an cleaning wax

Here is an early test shot

mask2.jpg

Hi Sean,

This sounds very interesting.

I am a newbie and have an Eduard Spitfire which I want to build. At the moment I am building another kit but the Spit is one gone be one of the nexts.

If your are interested in the feedback of a newbie - so a group of people who can use tools which make painting easier - and are willing to ship to Switzerland, I am more than happy to test it out. I am would takeover the shipping costs.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Cheers,

Michael

I am replying to the PM's if they are a little vague, it us because I am dong this in haste. We are moving and it will be after the 10th before I am set up. For those wanting Roundels, lettering and serial numbers, please send details in the PM. I dod the roundels first and was really amazed. The Wing Roundels (top_ were a doodle to use. I approached the fuselage with trepidation, but used Mal Mayfield's sequence of White, Red, Blue and lastly yellow. I never took pics In my excitement to get the camp done. I have the Tamiya Mixes for Blue and red and ordered some Mr Hobby to try for the yellow as I found the normal yellow a little off colour. Keep PM's coming. I will of course stop at some stage as the it works to around £6 per set for the vinyl. I have included masks for tail bands and front and bottom to keep straight edges if you do the underside first

I'd love to try these out, but I only build in 72nd! I've tried a number of vinyl and other camo masks from different manufacturers, only to be disappointed each time. The toughest parts were getting the fuselage to wing transition correct and flush to the skin, as well as the tail areas fiddly bits right. I'm hoping that you might be able to find success where they failed. If you do make them in 72nd, I'd be sure to buy quite a few.

I think I have done it. I too was disappointed. If someone will remind me of the maths to go down a scale things are in boxes w x H so all I need is to take w-a and h-b and we have 1/72. Happy to have a go. I did find the centre fuselage red dot nearly at the cutting limit, but I am happy to have a go and send you some masks

Presumably you could double them up to 1/24 as well? There is a massive lack of aftermarket decals for the Airfix kit, and zillions of kits out there with crumbled old decal sheets... If you do a 1/24 set I will definitely buy a couple of sets at a sensible price, even if I am first to try them on an experimental basis - having seen the artwork I have confidence in what you are doing.

Obviously for 1/24 that's your existing 1/48 set scaled to 200%.

For 1/72, scale the 1/48 set to 66.7%.

And, for completeness, if you decide to offer them in 1/32 for the Revell kit then that's the 1/48 set scaled to 150%

Edited by Work In Progress

Presumably you could double them up to 1/24 as well? There is a massive lack of aftermarket decals for the Airfix kit, and zillions of kits out there with crumbled old decal sheets... If you do a 1/24 set I will definitely buy a couple of sets at a sensible price, even if I am first to try them on an experimental basis - having seen the artwork I have confidence in what you are doing

Very happy to do 1/32 and 1/24 but out ask for the cost of the vinyl. 1/24 is getting into some usage. 5m x 31cm (16ft x 12 inches) cost just shy of £14 so for all you gurus you can work out the profit people are making. My only concern at scales bigger is handling the mask - its been suggested that some soapy water may work, but I foresee bubbles and waiting time to dry as you don't want bleeding.....open to ideas. the biggest piece is the one wing, I purposely broke the fuselage up so I could get accurate placement on panel lines etc.

Bubbles under the mask aren't a problem, really. You are right to consider the handleability in larger scales, it's a fair point. Slightly soapy water does work, and it's also easy enough for people to cut each mask into smaller sections for application. As long as you run a bead of masking fluid down the join line before laying in with the airbrush you are good to go.

Anyway, this is the sort of question which will be resolved by giving it a try... and I have a couple of 1/24 Airfix Spitfires in the queue...

I have just run a test, cutting 1/72 A1 roundel with the small red centre 5" which by my calculation in 1/72 is 0.06944" or 0.017639mm and both the vinyl and cutter were perfectly happy. I now have a conversion table in excel for all the roundel types in all the scales (1/72 to 1/24).

If someone can give me dimensions of lettering in 1:1 I can test and add that and thereafter should be good to go.

I note from my research that some fighters (presumable day) had a 7" red centre variation. Anyone know why?

• 2 weeks later...

to one and all

Living out of boxes awaiting Fibre internet. Forgive my silence. The move did not go as smoothly as planned, but cutter is unpacked and I have made a start to setting up my modelling area.

Regards

Sean

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Having moved. I lost my Mojo for a while so hence the silence. I sprayed up the Spit which as I think you know is a MK I, Checking the result I am 90% happy. The nose seems to be a bit of a problem as does the port (left) side. checking the results with actual black and White photos, there seems to be a slight change between the MkI and Mk V. There is enough "weeded" material to use as additional covering or to cut a correction by hand if you feel that you need to alter a particular spray line. I think I am suffering from OCD (Maybe its ACDC and some acid???). How perfect does a mask need to be - if you asked someone to pay for a set? The wings and tail and fuselage are absolutely brilliant and I can sit what a pleasure to paint. Job done in a 10th of the time. I need a little more theoretical feedback and will then send out to those of you who will Beta test

Some shots of the Spit painted and sealed with a clear coat. forgive the poor photography.

Obviously idea would be to weather and put a top cot of clear XF-86 to give the model the required finish. I believe that this is a milestone and what is needed are some instructions, testing and feedback (from those of you who kindly volunteered)

sospit_top.jpg

spit_top2.jpg\

spit_lf.jpg

spit_rt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally after recovering from a cold (it felt more like the flu) I managed to paint the roundels. The camo has become a little worn as there has been a lot of handling of the model. However, I think that I will deal with one or two areas with in the washes and weathering stage.

There was a bit of a learning curb with the fuselage roundels and I had to redo them. The 1st attempt was White/Red/Blue/Yellow. This did not meet my expectations and I removed the roundels and attempted White (as a background)/ yellow/white/red then blue. I allowed the yellow to dry overnight. Coats of other colours seemed to need an hour or so between coats.

Any flaws are in my application and the masks are performing above expectations. They are pretty durable and become easier to use with a bit of practice.

I hope to practice on some card and test out the lettering and serial number. This is the last stage and once I have that sorted I will send out mask to those of you who have asked. I just needed to know in my own mind that they worked.

All of this has been a learning curve.

Comments welcome!

spit_marking1.jpg

spit_marking2.jpg

spit_marking3.jpg

• Like 1

It looks fantastic. Looks like you have a bit of leakage... that happens from time to time. It requires a bit of fine tuning with the thinning... maybe a slight bit thicker and it should be golden.

It looks fantastic. Looks like you have a bit of leakage... that happens from time to time. It requires a bit of fine tuning with the thinning... maybe a slight bit thicker and it should be golden.

Thanks. I did find on a second go I was experimenting with viscosity. Not too bad for a 2nd attempt. On the other hand there are one or two ridges on the camp which I will correct in not letting paint build up at the edge of the mask. However I thing that I may get way with everything with coat of Flat and another coat of clear and some washes