New book about RAF Winthorpe

NAM Updater

A new book entitled “RAF Winthorpe – The Story of an Airfield 1939 – 1959” is being release next weekend.

It is the story of RAF Winthorpe (where the museum is located) from its beginnings to its demise as an RAF station; it has been researched by museum member Colin Savill, and is being published by the museum.

Copies will be available from the NAM Shop on Saturday 1st November 2014 and there will be a book signing session / meet the author on Saturday 15th November 2014 further details about the book can be found in here!

The date for the book being available has now been updated and it should be in the Museum Shop from 10am on Friday 31st October 2014.

The book signing / meet the author session still arranged for Saturday 15th November 2014; anyone purchasing a copy of the book before the 25th will be more than welcome to come along to the signing session.

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting Dave.

Our Southfield Site gets the occasional helicopter visiting us, plus the Waddington Airshow helicopter shuttles, so in one respect you could say the 'airfield' is still active - as for the runways I suspect that the gliding club were the last users; a sad loss! Did you move to Darlton or Saltby?

The club amalgamated with the one at Gamston as they were booted out of Gamston at about the same time. We lease a bit of land at Darlton which is about three miles past the toll bridge on the A57. Newark was a great place to fly from, not many places have a major motorway, a major river and landmarks like the sugar towers and Southwell racecourse to find your way back with. if you got lost flying from there you really were a complete clot.

I'm currently a member of Darlton Gliding Club, Gamston Flying Club and Waddington Flying Club...although my good lady just thinks 'I go flying somewhere'. I may have forgotten to mention the three clubs...silly me :whistle:

The runway at Waddo is being done in sections so there's still enough for us to fly out from although admin wise it's a bit of a pain.

I'd forgotten about the choppers for Waddo air show. None next year obviously...

I visited the Darlton site a couple of times while researching the first Aviation in Nottinghamshire booklet. I also visited Saltby (Buckminster) a few months ago while researching a South Kesteven aviation trail, while there I met a few ex-Winthorpe flyers.

Something that I forgot to mention with regard to the Southfield Site at Winthorpe is that we sometimes get some military helicopter traffic as well – earlier this year we had a couple of Merlins call in!

Yes some of the Winthorpe guys gravitated towards Saltby. I think it was a case of how close it was to where you live. One of the Newark guys, John Sentance, became CFI at Saltby. Nice place to fly from although it's a bit of a job to find if you drive there.

Interesting to hear about the Merlins, do they just pop in to visit the museum or are they actually doing something military?

I believe it’s part of their Navex training and remote site landing training – it tends to be a brief stop, with the occasional set of drinks being supplied from the café!

It’s been underway for a number of years the avatar on the following page on the NAM website was taken during a low-level pass from west to east on the Southfield Site http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/newsItem.php?id=3 short advanced notice is sometimes given, but this is liable to cancellation due to other taskings!

Sadly we don’t always keep the Log up to date!

Edited by NAM Updater